Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Default Re: Another agency bans the SERPA

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    LOL... good luck with that.
    Guys, I was joking. Sorry to you and Pennsy for further fueling the fire.
    Jules

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Look here... More problems with a holster that has known problems. Allow me a moment to take a picture of my shocked face.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6921
    Yet More SERPA Ban
    12-Jul-12 – 10:23 by ToddG
    Last week, the National Park Service banned the use of SERPA-style holsters by any of its more than 2,000 law enforcement personnel. It will come as no surprise to pistol-training.com readers that among the reasons listed was the propensity for accidental discharges, citing multiple instances at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center where such accidents led to property damage and/or injury.

Another issue listed in the NPS memo was the danger of debris getting into the holster mechanism thereby making it impossible to draw the gun. Especially given the incredibly wide range of environmental conditions under which NPS Park Rangers must operate across the country it is easy to understand this very real concern. (for a demonstration of this problem in a realistic training environment, see this video featuring Craig “SouthNarc” Douglas and the late Paul Gomez… note the language of the video may be NSFW)

Historically, these announcements are met by hardcore SERPA fans with cries that “I’ve been using a SERPA for six years and never shot myself once!” Perhaps it would be worth the time and effort to consider that a large federal law enforcement agency, between its own experience and the accumulated experience of the nation’s largest law enforcement academy, might have just a tiny bit more real world data to call upon for drawing conclusions.

In other news: SERPA-style holsters are still banned from all open enrollment pistol-training.com classes.

Train hard & stay safe! ToddG
    I don't know anything about the NPS training program but knowing people who have trained and worked at FLETC, it is nothing more than the equivalent of a training "puppy mill". You couldn't pay me to attend a class there.

But back to the NPS, "who" is in charge (administratively) at large LE agencies has much to do with what firearms and gear is and isn't permitted.

I would like to know "who" at the NPS made the decision and under what circumstances.

That stated and FWIW, IMO the serpa is over-rated.

Shawn.L posted a very thorough and emotionless review of the serpa on this site. Anyone considering the serpa should search for that thread and consider his opinions.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I don't know anything about the NPS training program but knowing people who have trained and worked at FLETC, it is nothing more than the equivalent of a training "puppy mill". You couldn't pay me to attend a class there.
    I think we would both agree most private sector training far exceeds that of any agency.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Northampton County)

I practice drawing & firing & reholstering at a tactical range at my club.I have done this hundreds of times & my finger has never been on the trigger.Say what you want about the serpa but I am keeping mine.

I sold the holsters for $20 a pop. BFD. The guy that bought them got 2 hardly used $60 holsters for 1/3 of the price. The holster met the buyers needs and he was happy. My thoughts are available for it, if they so chose to search. Hell, perhaps they were bought in spite of me. If he posted in this thread in support of it I would ask the same question until they answered it, like others are not doing now.

I dislike them because they are inferior in many ways to other holsters offering the same features for only a few dollars more. I also dislike them because people use them incorrectly.
    Oh it's a big deal all right - a real big deal. You have invested an enormous amount of time and energy to convince everyone who reads this board that Serpas are bad. They are dangerous, so much so that entire agencies of highly trained LEOs are abandoning them wholesale. Yet you have no problem selling used ones to some unsuspecting person. If you really thought the way you claim, if you were genuinely concerned for the welfare of other people, you would have trashed them to prevent some poor untrained person from injuring himself.

I'll tell you what. The price of your integrity and honor is $20.00. That's the big deal sir. You come here and run your mouth about how we all need to subscribe to your point of view, and then you turn around and do something in complete opposition to what you publicly state. That is the height of hypocrisy.

And this business of people using them incorrectly? That is liberal claptrap, straight from the anti gun crowd.

"Guns are bad because they kill people."
    Solution? Get rid of guns.

"Serpa holsters are bad because people don't use them correctly."
    Solution? Get rid of the Serpa.

Please direct me to this post where I indicated I was smarter than you. I would like to correct it.

Please tell me why the SERPA is better than the alternatives.
    Oh, it's not a single post. It is your whole high handed attitude. It is your constant return to belabor the same points over and over again. I can see the thought process now. "If only I type this out for the 117th time, they'll finally get it."

You do not want to hear about how the Serpa is a better holster in some cases. You want to argue. It is that simple. I could give you a whole list of reasons as to why I choose to wear a Serpa in some situations, and it would not matter a whit. So there is no sense in continuing the discussion. If you don't like them, don't use them. If you think they are dangerous, you should have destroyed the ones you owned. As it is, the only thing you have destroyed is your credibility.

(Allegheny County)

I do wish to hear how it is better, enlighten me.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

I do wish to hear how it is better, enlighten me.
    Do you mean besides the following?

1. Very strong retention
    2. Easily adjustable
    3. Very light
    4. Exceedingly sturdy and durable
    5. Comes with a paddle and belt loop
    6. Allows for a smooth, fast draw.

Oh...and I like the way they look.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Let's say you're stopped in the middle of the bridge between PA and NJ and suddenly you see a horde of zombies coming from NJ side and a division of UN Blue Helmets coming from the PA side. You don't think you'd jump off the bridge into the river?
    I'd sit and ponder the issue for a second, then throw the car/truck in reverse, and floor it. Zombies -ok, UN troops - worrisome, but whatever, I can tell you I sure as hell am not going to NJ. That's just plain crazy scary. I only hope those UN boys can either swim, or kill all those zombies. Don't say there's no car or truck, I'm sure not going to be hoofing it to New Jersey.

(Allegheny County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Do you mean besides the following?

1. Very strong retention
    2. Easily adjustable
    3. Very light
    4. Exceedingly sturdy and durable
    5. Comes with a paddle and belt loop
    6. Allows for a smooth, fast draw.

Oh...and I like the way they look.
    Better than other retention holsters was the question.

Better than other retention holsters was the question.
    Better for him. Not for you. Nothing is going to make it better for you. As of now, you are a troll in this thread.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314