Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Have I found a good stand site?

So today I went to State Game Land #288 near Pequea Campgrounds on one end and Martic Forge on the other.

I attempted to "scout" (though I only know what I've read online about it and deer hunting in general due to not knowing anyone else who hunts) the land. I tried to look for escape routes and what I have seen referred to as "funnels" for deer.

After much difficulty (the area is VERY THICKLY wooded) I located what I think would be a good escape route for deer. It looked like a small "valley" between two hills (one of which I was standing on) that looked to extend a long way out. While I was attempting to take pictures of it to later post here for your opinions, I noticed on the ground next to me a spent shotgun casing. I picked it up and saw that it said the following on it:

"Remington, 2 3/4, 7mm" (at least that's what I remember)

but on the basis of that I was not able to determine if that was a bird shot, buck shot, or slug casing.

Now having said all of this, let me get to my questions,

1) Would it be reasonable to use the presence of the spent shotgun shell as an indicator that the area is, indeed, a good place to set up a stand or otherwise hunt from as evidenced by the fact that someone must have shot a shotgun there at something, presumably during the legal hunting season?

2) Based on the information I've provided about the spent shell, would you be inclined to believe it is the spent casing of a birdshot, buckshot, or slug shotgun load? I ask because I think knowing this would help determine what exactly they must have shot at.

If anybody could help me out here, please don't hesitate.

Thanks in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Have I found a good stand site?

Sounds like a good spot for all kinds of game. When scouting for my deer stand spots, I like to pick a spot where I can see a few deer paths. I like to make sure it is somewhere between a food/water source and their bedding area. I look for prints, shit, and scrapes from bucks rubbing the velvet off their antlers on trees. Also make sure wherever you set up is upwind from the most likely direction the deer will be coming from.

As for the spent shell, it sounds like it may be a #7 rather than a 7mm. In which case it's birdshot. Too small for turkey, so whomever shot near there was possibly hunting grouse or squirrel.
    Last edited by bagman29; July 11th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I need to research the area a bit but you did some good recon. Deer love it thick. Men like it thin. If you get up high enough it helps. Did you order a 2c doe tag yet? What will be your Weopon of choice?

(Lancaster County)

Did you ever go to the game lands over by Norman Wood Bridge? Used to be an excellent area for deer. I used to live upfrom the forge and hardly ever saw many deer. That was years ago and things change. Definitely give it a look though. First left before the bridge.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post
    I need to research the area a bit but you did some good recon. Deer love it thick. Men like it thin. If you get up high enough it helps. Did you order a 2c doe tag yet? What will be your Weopon of choice?
    I haven't ordered any tags yet.

Regarding my weapon of choice, I'm not too sure but I'm leaning towards a shotgun as the bulk of the state game lands near me appear to be close to residential areas.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Did you ever go to the game lands over by Norman Wood Bridge? Used to be an excellent area for deer.
    No I haven't. Unfortunately, since I'm completely new to all this, I don't know which areas have deer and also am quite ignorant about how to identify one. I"m a complete newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I used to live upfrom the forge and hardly ever saw many deer. That was years ago and things change. Definitely give it a look though. First left before the bridge.
    Which bridge would you be referring to?

(Lancaster County)

Sorry I was a little confusing with my post. The game lands are located on the road that is the left before you cross Norman Wood Bridge. Parking lot will be on the right. You can enter the land on the fire trail on either side. I wish I remembered the name of the road. Its past Muddy Run. I pulled a lot of deer out of there when I use to hunt.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the clarification Mitch. I will definitely give it a look.

(Monroe County)

no, a single casing isn't any kind of indication of anything other then someone fired a shot there before.

If the woods are really think I would suggest trying to find a clearing or somewhere with long shooting ranges.

Deer will "funnel" but its generally along well established paths that make their lives easier or are safe. They don't mind walking on hills. Normally good funnels are open areas between very thick growth, cover near very open growth, or homes.

Deer escape through anything, I've watched them run through crap that I would need a bulldozer to get through and up hills that I would need climbing gear to go after them. IF they are pushed or spooked they will do whatever they can to run.

Generally for rifle my general rule of thumb is the longer your range the better you are. If you think this is a good spot and you can post up on one of the hills, with clear lines of sight in a bunch of directions then you are probably in a good spot.

for scouting, especially if looking for active trails, my primary indicators are frequency of droppings, amount of damage to the area, and useable cover (I mostly archery hunt). Deer are creatures of habit, if they are constantly walking in an area there will be piles of droppings along the trail, additionally if they are in an area a lot they will wear trails down through the ferns and underbrush and you need a vantage point where you can shoot them, does know good if you know they are there but you can't get a shot on em.

good luck!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.