Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default What do you do when someone outs you in public?

Long Version:

Last week, i met a lady at the local bar. Shes a bit past my age range but we got to talking and i was enjoying her company. She invites me back to her place and i accepted. As we're walking through the door of her house, she smacks her hands on my hips. Feeling something hard, she pulls up my shirt to reveal my cell phone on my left side and my smith and wesson bodyguard 380 on my right in an outside the waistband leather holster. I'm just waiting to be asked to leave at this point but surprisingly she doesn't say a word.

About a half hour later as we are sitting on her couch, her chihuahua keeps licking my holster through my shirt. I mentioned to her that her dog really seemed to like my shirt and she says "hes after your gun". I respond with "so... you did see that then". Kinda figured how could she not but when she didn't say anything earlier, i didn't know what to think. She basically tells me that i shouldn't have it. Some day, im going to lose my temper and kill someone. I show her my license to try to put her at ease by showing her its legal but she just keeps asking why do i need it and saying that no one should carry a gun because we're all just going to end up killing someone someday and go to prison.

On one hand, im upset that she that she seems to think so little of me after only a couple hours that she thinks im some crazy person who is unable to stop myself from flipping out and opening fire on some random person. But on the other hand, shes being relatively calm during this discussion and not throwing me out so i tried to explain why i carry. I just asked her if she had air bags and a seat belt in her car. She said yes. I asked her if she had a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors in her house. She says yes to this as well. Next i asked her, "do you plan on needing any of those tonight?" She says no. I asked "then why do you have them?" She doesn't know what to say so i tell her i carry for the same reason she has those things. Just in case. As its time to call it a night, she rights down her number and mine, hands me the slip of paper with hers, and keeps the one with mine. She says to call her tomorrow. Well i ended up putting my pants through the wash with her number still in the pocket. Now that im unable to call her, all i can do is wait for her to call me but she never does.

Now here is where things start to get ugly. I run into her and some guy shes with at the same bar a week later. She is extremely drunk. Knocking over bar stools and drinks. Staggering all over the bar. Ignoring her date and talking to one of the off duty local cops in the corner. She notices me and comes over to tell me how mad she is. I try to explain why i didn't call her but she doesn't believe me. I tell her that's what happened. I'm sorry she doesn't believe me but i'm not looking for an argument. Rather loudly, she starts trying to connect the fact that i carry a gun and that i didn't call her. Apparently i'm used to doing things like this and i must up to something if i need a gun.

I tell her several times that i would be happy to discuss that issue with her in private but this was neither the time or the place for it. She loudly and angrily asks why. I explain that i would rather people not know my business and that i carry a concealed weapon. She responds with "whos going to hear!?!" I tell her "everyone that's listening to you right now." She takes the hint at last and calms down for awhile.

Short Version:

Met a woman last week. After being invited back to her place, she discovers im carrying. Ran into her a week later while shes extremely intoxicated and looking to loudly tell me in public how i shouldn't have a gun.

Conclusion:

So my question is, how would you have handled a situation like this where someone seems to think nothing of telling everyone in the room that your armed? While the owners (husband and wife) of the bar do not know i carry, i have been informed by the staff that the husband has his license and has carried there. The manager and one of the bartenders also have their licenses but only the bartender actually carries. The manager has also told me that while the owners would prefer that you do not carry in their bar, they didn't have policy in place. However, when ever the staff has brought up them carrying while at work, they were told no. The one bartender still does anyways and im supposed to go to the range with the manager, her husband, and their two sons. Her husband wants to get her something to conceal carry and i offered to let her try my bodyguard.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What do you do when someone outs you in public?

Stop hanging out in bars.

(Erie County)

Be glad you didn't put your "gun" in her holster. The trouble would have been 3 times worse.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason In Erie View Post
    Be glad you didn't put your "gun" in her holster. The trouble would have been 3 times worse.
    You got that right! I don't make it a habit of going home with someone i just met. This whole incident just reminded me why i don't lol.

(Delaware County)

Sounds like you caught a crazy.

(Beaver County)

I think you handled it fine.

In your case, she found out by accident, but I am very careful in who I tell , that I carry. Bob Mayne, of the Handgun World Show tells of an incident where his wife was calling 911, because someone threatened to shoot them, and she said,

"someone threatened to shoot my husband. He is going to get his gun. My husband has a gun too! Please send the police."

So now the police are thinking her husband is a bad guy too, b/c his wife outed him, and didn't explain anything other than he had a gun... it made for a tense situation.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Stop hanging out in bars.
    I'll hang out anywhere i wish. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation, please refrain from posting.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimrob View Post
    Sounds like you caught a crazy.
    Story of my life...

You could always open carry. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being "outted".

But seriously, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're around strangers, its not going to affect much. I can understand someone who only CCs wanting to be discreet about carrying and keeping it a secret from everyone. But if you're outted around strangers, no body that you know will find out that you carry (most likely) and if you run into them again they probably won't recognize you.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Allegheny County)

Meet some of your friends friends for dates (old school social networking) and stop picking up random bar skanks.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast