Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question about LC9 and LCP slide release

I was at a local shop the other day just browsing around. I held the LC9 and LCP for the first time and liked them both but liked the LC9 just a bit more to where if it was between those two I think I'd get the LC9.

When I was handling them though I noticed that the slide release was extremly stiff on the LC9 whereas the LCP was easy to depress. The LC9 was so stiff that I actually couldn't get the slide to release just by depressing the release lever. I actually had to pull back on the slide and then press down on the lever to release the slide (I think some refer to that as a sling shot release). Is it normal for the LC9 to be so stiff with the slide release (especially compared to the LCP) or was the one I was holding just not broken in at all? Both guns were new.

Default Re: Question about LC9 and LCP slide release

Was the magazine still in the LC9? I ask because what you describe is exactly what that would be like (an empty magazine is what engages the slide stop/release and pushes it upward; if a magazine were still in the gun, you'd be pushing against its spring, which would make the stop/release difficult to operate). Additionally, if the magazine were out of the gun and the slide were pulled to the rear, the slide stop/release should drop automatically. The fact that you had to push it down with the slide pulled back is what makes me wonder about the initial question.

And either way, it's always a good idea to learn to slingshot the slide (which means just pulling it back and releasing, which closes the slide and chambers a round; no other input on your end required) instead of using the slide stop/release. This is because slingshotting will work on 100% of semi-automatic pistols. Slide stops/releases, on the other hand, are different on every gun and can cause problems in high adrenaline situations if one works or is positioned differently than the ones you've trained with.

Some food for thought.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; July 11th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

I can tell you the Slide release on my LC9 was stiff until a few magazines went through, Now it is not a problem.

My understanding on the LCP is that it does not lock the slide back on the last shot, it is simply there to manually lock back for inspection of the gun.

I like the LC9 and use it as my EDC with an occasional Kel-Tec p3at in it's place if I'm just running to the store.

Either one is a Good firearm and really comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with, plus one is 9mm and one is 380 caliber.

Good Luck
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Bucks County)

The LC9 you actually have to pull it back a tiny bit for it to release, I find. The LCP should release just fine. Although as mentioned, the LCP does not lock open after the last round like the LC9 does.

I have both....the LC9 was my personal first gun purchase. The LCP is my regular carry piece if I'm wearing it on my person...the LC9 goes in a carry handbag.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Butler County)

Should lossen up overtime. My LC9 was that way new. Been about a year +500 rds and it's not an issue.

Just shot my sisters new LCP and my 2 yr old LCP. Mine has over 200 rds and 13lb recoil springs vs hers with factory 9lb springs. Mine was easier to rack (heavier spring), less recoil and the trigger required less force, smoother. She said the same thing after shooting both.

Even though new guns are ready to go there is a break in period as all the moving parts settle in.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Was the magazine still in the LC9? I ask because what you describe is exactly what that would be like (an empty magazine is what engages the slide stop/release and pushes it upward; if a magazine were still in the gun, you'd be pushing against its spring, which would make the stop/release difficult to operate). Additionally, if the magazine were out of the gun and the slide were pulled to the rear, the slide stop/release should drop automatically. The fact that you had to push it down with the slide pulled back is what makes me wonder about the initial question.

And either way, it's always a good idea to learn to slingshot the slide (which means just pulling it back and releasing, which closes the slide and chambers a round; no other input on your end required) instead of using the slide stop/release. This is because slingshotting will work on 100% of semi-automatic pistols. Slide stops/releases, on the other hand, are different on every gun and can cause problems in high adrenaline situations if one works or is positioned differently than the ones you've trained with.

Some food for thought.
    Yes, the magazine was in the gun. I didn't even think about the empty mag hold open. Good point about being comfortable slingshotting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    ...My understanding on the LCP is that it does not lock the slide back on the last shot, it is simply there to manually lock back for inspection of the gun...
    I did not realize that the LCP does not have the empty mag hold open while the LC9 does. Thanks for the tip.

Plenty of rounds through mine and the slide "release" is still stiff. I always slingshot my pistols unless it has a safety similar to beretta's which might bite your fingers.

BTW, I replaced my XD9 Subcompact with the LC9 as my main concealment piece and have no regrets doing so. Love the LC9, hated the trigger until I installed a modified setup. If you do decide on it, take a look at the Galloway site if you want to modify things. Here's mine wearing a set of XS big dot sights, Galloway's trigger, trigger bar, and hammer. I have a set of low power springs too to help the heavy pull, but haven't decided on installing them in fear of light strikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Northumberland County)

I think it is a Ruger thing the slide release on my SR9c is almost impossible to activate with my thumb. I have pull the slide back slightly to move the it forward into battery.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
    Plenty of rounds through mine and the slide "release" is still stiff. I always slingshot my pistols unless it has a safety similar to beretta's which might bite your fingers.

BTW, I replaced my XD9 Subcompact with the LC9 as my main concealment piece and have no regrets doing so. Love the LC9, hated the trigger until I installed a modified setup. If you do decide on it, take a look at the Galloway site if you want to modify things. Here's mine wearing a set of XS big dot sights, Galloway's trigger, trigger bar, and hammer. I have a set of low power springs too to help the heavy pull, but haven't decided on installing them in fear of light strikes.
    Thanks for the tips.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
    Same thing with my LC9. Was expecting it to lighten up but it never did, but I agree with using the slingshot method. Its my every day carry and I love it, easy to hide and shoots great.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast