Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Slim Build - Shoulder Holster?

I have a slim to average build (6'1", 165) and was wondering if a shoulder holster would let me carry a full-size auto without printing? Don't want to spend money on a good one and never use it. I have a Fobus OWB that I don't like and doesn't conceal worth a damn. I'm definitely not going to fit an IWB in my pants. Maybe a leather OWB like a Bianchi would conceal better?

I realize the answer may be that I should get a smaller gun.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Slim Build - Shoulder Holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    I have a Fobus OWB that I don't like and doesn't conceal worth a damn.
    Kydex OWB holsters are not noted for concealability. More concealable will be a leather scabbard holster; more concealable than that would be an IWB. In general, though, don't judge all belt holsters by one bottom-of-the-barrel example.

Shoulder holsters can be concealable, but they present issues of their own to be overcome.

What model gun are you trying to CCW?

(Bucks County)

I'm definitely not going to fit an IWB in my pants.
    You need to buy a pair of pants one size larger, if your current pants fit that tightly. CCW requires that you make clothing accommodations.

Maybe a leather OWB like a Bianchi would conceal better?
    Bianchi is generally a cop duty gear place. You might be better served buying holsters from companies that primarily serve the non-LEO market. Make sure you get a real gun belt, too.

I realize the answer may be that I should get a smaller gun.
    An answer sure -- but a last ditch answer. You'd be surprised how well you can conceal a full sized gun with the right holster. And you'd be unpleasantly surprised to find out that the smaller gun would still be hard to conceal, if you stick with cheap holsters.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a CZ 75 full size. I think I can shrink the gun's profile a little more by ditching the plastic grips for the rubber ones.

The Fobus was an impulse buy at a gunshow. I can barely get the gun out of it. Fine for open carry I guess.

I currently don't carry at all and perhaps I never will but I am going to get my LTCF should I feel the need. I was hoping to be able conceal under a jacket or sportcoat. I wear my pants at my hips (not ganster low) so even if I did get new pants the gun would be grinding against my hipbone or bladder with an IWB. My belt situation could stand for improvement. Usually wearing cotton military-style web belts.

Here is the Bianchi I thought looked ok:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...788&t=11082005

And here is one of their shoulder rigs:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...113&t=11082005

(Bucks County)

I have a CZ 75 full size. I think I can shrink the gun's profile a little more by ditching the plastic grips for the rubber ones.
    The CZ is a slim enough gun, front to back, that you're not going to get much slimmer unless you go single stack.

The main problem with CCWing a steel CZ is the weight, not the size.

The Fobus was an impulse buy at a gunshow. I can barely get the gun out of it. Fine for open carry I guess.
    I carried a full size CZ for several years. I strongly recommend this holster:

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24

I was hoping to be able conceal under a jacket or sportcoat. I wear my pants at my hips (not ganster low) so even if I did get new pants the gun would be grinding against my hipbone or bladder with an IWB. My belt situation could stand for improvement. Usually wearing cotton military-style web belts.
    As I said, it's a fallacy to think you can take your current style of clothes, and expect to plug in CCW with zero adjustment. It won't happen. You need to make clothing accommodations. Even if you choose shoulder holster, you'll still be making clothing changes in the form of cover garments.

I can't get your first link to open. The second link shows a shoulder holster with no offside mag pouches. I don't think you'll be happy with the way that carries. The standard "Miami Classic" style, with the gun on one side, and 2 mag pouches on the other, will be much more balanced.

(Chester County)

While dgg9 has pretty much covered all the bases, I'd still like to chime in a bit.

You should be able to carry this gun with little trouble. I'm about 140 and 5'10", and with a decent holster can easily/comfortably carry and conceal a full size 1911 -- which is pretty much the same size and maybe 1/4 lb. heavier.

I'd also suggest that you consider avoiding a shoulder holster just yet -- they're expensive, tricky to get used to, you can't practice with them at the range, and (IMHO) unless you spend the money and get the absolute best -- Alessi or Del Fatti you're going to print or be uncomfortable.

I'd definitely second dgg9's suggestion of the Kramer Belt Scabbard -- a truly high quality holster that is light years beyond anything offered by the usual off the rack suspects -- DeSantis, Bianchi, etc.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Here's another option:

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

...then click on "for sale." HBE semi-specializes in CZ holsters. I see 2 IWBs and 1 OWB ready for sale for a full-size CZ.

The "Ultimate Pancake for a CZ 75B" is one I endose. I have exactly this holster for my G17 (ballpark the same size as your CZ). At $79 shipped, it's frankly a steal.

(Centre County)

I wouldn't go with a shoulder holster or a crossdraw holster because it is easier for an attacker to grab the gun. For a right handed person the holsters are on the wearers left (typically the "weak" side) and on the right (strong side) for an attacker. You have to reach across your body while they just have to reach in. Also if an attacker gets the gun it comes out of the holster already pointed at your center body mass.

There are many holster manufacturers out there that make very good IWB holsters that are comfortable and make concealing very easy. Do some more research and get opinions from as many as possible on there holsters and what they like and dislike about it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

One thing I am surprised I've not seen mentioned is the fact that a horizontal shoulder holster violates a fundamental safety rule: Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Every person who walks behind you is unknowingly put in harms way.

(Centre County)

Just the other day my buddy told me he'd always heard that you will have a box full of holsters until you find one you like. Well, I can attest to that and every gun I have needs a different holster for me to be comfy with it. Personally, I have a horizontal shoulder holster and I don't mind it. I will admit it takes some getting use to, but I think they all do. However, I would not use it during the summer as I carry a Service XD and I need my coat to conceal it. I can tell you that you would be suprised how comfortable IWB can be. I wear my pants snug (not tight), comfortable and I always thought, no way could I ever carry IWB. Well, I do and it's rather comfortable and it conceals the best in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast