Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Concealed Carry at Kids Summer Camp

Sunday is visiting day at my children's summer camp. As a NJ resident on an AZ permit is there anything I need to be concerned with?

Does GFSZ come in play here? The kids take take computer class and attend arts and craft type workshops. It is part of the NJY Camps which is a religious organization if that matters?

I do not recall seeing a "no guns" sign last year but at that time I did not have my CCW so was not really looking either.

I'll bet anyone a dollar if I call to ask about their gun policy they will say no guns as a knee jerk answer but they very well may not have a policy at all.

This would be my very first concealed carry as my permit just arrived last week so I am more conscious about it that I hope to be in the future.

I am excited about my first opportunity to exercise my 2A right so do not want to not carry just to be on the safe side but I also wonder if my excitement is clouding my judgement as a kids camp might not be the oppropiate venue for my rookie debut and perhaps rookie mistakes. However, I shoot several times a year for the past 20 years so am comfortable with handguns in general and just took the 10hr NRA Basic Handgun class last month.

My options are a G27 IWB small of back or a NAA Guardian 380 in a pocket holster.

I am interested in the legality as well as appropriateness given my experiace.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry at Kids Summer Camp

IANAL, but it sounds to me that this is less of a "school" and more like "camp", so my first guess is that you should be ok legally to carry there. Also, their website says "Camp" all over it and doesn't really mention school or education in the same way.

Personally, I would carry the Glock 27, basically because it packs more of a punch. However, I would not carry it in the small of your back. The reason for this is that if you fall on your back the grip of the gun could put enough pressure on your spine to result in paralysis. When there are so many other good options for carry, this is not something I would take a chance on.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you are a NJ resident and the camp sounds like it is in NJ(?)

Even though you have a AZ permit, NJ does not recognize it for carrying reciprocity purposes.

Your AZ would cover you in PA, but the problem is (as i seem to recall from other posts here), how do you legally transport the gun thru NJ into PA?

It does not sound like the camp is a school, so I don't believe the GFSZ would come into play. IANAL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but you are a NJ resident and the camp sounds like it is in NJ(?)

Even though you have a AZ permit, NJ does not recognize it for carrying reciprocity purposes.

Your AZ would cover you in PA, but the problem is (as i seem to recall from other posts here), how do you legally transport the gun thru NJ into PA?

It does not sound like the camp is a school, so I don't believe the GFSZ would come into play. IANAL.
    Her could be going to a gun range before the camp...and then the transport could be legitimate.. .and while here, the AZ permit would cover him, once he loaded the weapon within PA... and went to the camp.. and then unloaded and went back home...

IANAL ... nothing I state is to be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post
    Her could be going to a gun range before the camp...and then the transport could be legitimate.. .and while here, the AZ permit would cover him, once he loaded the weapon within PA... and went to the camp.. and then unloaded and went back home...

IANAL ... nothing I state is to be construed as legal advice.
    Hmmmmmmm... what if the camp has a shooting range for the kids and he takes a shot or two while there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoster99 View Post
    Sunday is visiting day at my children's summer camp. As a NJ resident on an AZ permit is there anything I need to be concerned with?

Does GFSZ come in play here? The kids take take computer class and attend arts and craft type workshops. It is part of the NJY Camps which is a religious organization if that matters?

I do not recall seeing a "no guns" sign last year but at that time I did not have my CCW so was not really looking either.

I'll bet anyone a dollar if I call to ask about their gun policy they will say no guns as a knee jerk answer but they very well may not have a policy at all.

This would be my very first concealed carry as my permit just arrived last week so I am more conscious about it that I hope to be in the future.

I am excited about my first opportunity to exercise my 2A right so do not want to not carry just to be on the safe side but I also wonder if my excitement is clouding my judgement as a kids camp might not be the oppropiate venue for my rookie debut and perhaps rookie mistakes. However, I shoot several times a year for the past 20 years so am comfortable with handguns in general and just took the 10hr NRA Basic Handgun class last month.

My options are a G27 IWB small of back or a NAA Guardian 380 in a pocket holster.

I am interested in the legality as well as appropriateness given my experiace.
    What Hiredgoon said. If I am reading this right you live in NJ and are going to a camp in NJ (I'm assume New Jersey Youth Camps are in New Jersey). NJ does not have reciprocity with any other states. Carrying in NJ with an Arizona license is opening yourself up to a lot of trouble.

If I am reading this right, please research this a lot further and make sure you KNOW all of New Jerseys laws.

Edit to add.... btw.. based on New Jersey's gun laws, most businesses, parks, camps etc.... probably do not have a need to put up "no gun" signs.
    Last edited by internet troll; July 11th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Yeah this is interesting and I agree with the concerns above. I interact with quite a few NJ residents at the range I shoot at regularly here in PA. From my understanding the only way you can transport a handgun in NJ would be to/from a range directly without stopping specified by NJ law.

I am not a lawyer but based on this I would not attempt to bring a handgun to PA unless I was going directly to a range without stopping. Even then I would be sure to get documentation, e.g. a receipt, etc. for the return back to NJ.

I am told the only way you are carrying in NJ is if you are law enforcement (federal, state, local), covered under LEOSA, or one of the very few NJ issued permit holders in the state.

Assuming the camp is in PA (where you could legally carry with your AZ permit) I also don't see how you could justify transporting it from NJ to PA since you are not going to a range or place of target practice.

Again, not a lawyer but trying to be helpful and hopefully someone with more NJ experience can chime in.

(Montgomery County)

So.. the camp is not in PA... then you are FOOKED carrying in your own state...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsn124 View Post
    Yeah this is interesting and I agree with the concerns above. I interact with quite a few NJ residents at the range I shoot at regularly here in PA. From my understanding the only way you can transport a handgun in NJ would be to/from a range directly without stopping specified by NJ law.

I am not a lawyer but based on this I would not attempt to bring a handgun to PA unless I was going directly to a range without stopping. Even then I would be sure to get documentation, e.g. a receipt, etc. for the return back to NJ.

I am told the only way you are carrying in NJ is if you are law enforcement (federal, state, local), covered under LEOSA, or one of the very few NJ issued permit holders in the state.

Assuming the camp is in PA (where you could legally carry with your AZ permit) I also don't see how you could justify transporting it from NJ to PA since you are not going to a range or place of target practice.
    Again, not a lawyer but trying to be helpful and hopefully someone with more NJ experience can chime in.

IANAL, but if he is going directly from his home in NJ to PA wouldn't that be OK since he can legally carry in PA with his AZ permit? As long as me makes no other stop in NJ to PA and then again from PA to his home in NJ?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    IANAL, but if he is going directly from his home in NJ to PA wouldn't that be OK since he can legally carry in PA with his AZ permit? As long as me makes no other stop in NJ to PA and then again from PA to his home in NJ?
    Since FOPA offers no protection, his transporting while in NJ must follow NJ's guidelines. ...which is directly to/from a range, gunsmith, hunting location.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast