Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Cool Dave's OC/CC Log

Well, since I've done this on DELOC, I figured I'd do it here....

This will be a log of places I've carried, the method of carry, and any interactions I may have. All "activities" are listed by date. Any interactions will be noted. No mention of anything means no one noticed or said anything (which is the way I prefer it actually).

This list is for anyone who might be curious as to where I went and how I carried, and what any reactions were. If I see a "no guns" sign somewhere i'll report it here, too.

Generally: If I'm OCing, that means with a SERPA level II and my XD-9 service, shirt tucked around/behind my holster. If I'm CCing, that means with a Crossbreed Supertuck (forward cant) and my XD-9 subcompact. I've tried to CC w/ my XD-9 service, but the grip sticks up more and isn't as comfortable. With either method, I carry 147gr JHP ammo (with a round chambered of course), and a Spyderco Native weak side.

And as in DE, I always expect the cops to show up to investigate a MWAG call. So when no one shows up, I'm happy. LOL.

--- Begin Log -------------------------------------------------

06/06/2012: Applied for LTCF @ Chester County Sheriff's Office. This was 4 days after receiving my Temporary PA Driver's License on June 2, so using the "Temporary DL" is perfectly fine.

06/15/2012: Realized that I overdrafted my checking account (duh), so Sheriff may have not been able to cash my check. Uh oh.

06/18/2012: Called Sheriff's Office and explained what happened. Apparently they tried it again and it went through (Sheriff deposited my check).

07/05/2012: Sheriff issued and mailed my License

07/06/2012: Received my LTCF in the mail! Whoo hoo!!

- OC to Delaware to pick up kids, then back to PA

- CC to Family Cupboard Buffet (Bird-in-Hand)

- CC to WEIS (Gap)

07/08/2012:

- OC to Delaware to drop off kids

- CC to Philadelphia International Airport

07/09/2012:

- OC to 4 Brothers Restaurant for lunch. I think the cashier noticed, but we have been in there a few times before.

- OC to Liquor Store (Parkesburg)

- OC to Dairy Queen (Parkesburg)

- OC to Tractor Supply (Parkesburg) to look at safes. The guy in the parking lot from NJ certainly noticed me get out of the car. I don't think any employees noticed.

07/10/2012:

- OC to Good N Plenty Buffet (Smoketown). We were the first to arrive for lunch, so no one noticed. Some people getting aboard the bus may have noticed, but I'm not sure.

- CC to private residence for Freecycle pick up (West Chester)

- OC to Dyers Deli & Dairy Delight (Parkesburg). Went into see if they sold milk. Here's the conversation between the girl at the counter and myself:

Me (looking in the refrigerator section): "You don't sell milk?"
    Her: "No, sorry."
    Me: "Oh, OK." I start looking at the menu above the counter.
    Her: "Is that a 40 or a 45?"
    Me: "Actually it's a 9mm."
    Her: "Oh, really? Smith and Wesson?"
    Me: "Nope, Springfield Armory XD."

I decided to order something and while waiting the conversation remained on guns, the LTCF, DELOC, OC in Delaware, her gun, etc. She showed me a gun raffle her gun club is having. I mentioned PAFOA but she wasn't aware of it (next time I go in I'll bring a pamphlet or card along!). After my order was ready I asked if they'd be interested in having a group of 5 or 10 or 20 people for lunch or dinner sometime since they're into guns. Upon asking the owner (not that into guns) she said not a problem. So, I'd say we have a potential meeting place for the future!

- OC to Wawa (30 & 10). No one said anything but I think a few noticed.
    Last edited by dave_in_delaware; July 10th, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: updating more from today
    Dave (Co-Founder & Moderator: Delaware Open Carry)

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Dave's OC/CC Log

Do you maintain a Delaware LTCF (or whatever they call it)? Otherwise, how do you get your weapon in and out of the state, even when OCing? Locking it up until you're out of the car?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    Do you maintain a Delaware LTCF (or whatever they call it)? Otherwise, how do you get your weapon in and out of the state, even when OCing? Locking it up until you're out of the car?
    In DE it's called a CCDW, but I never had a license in DE. Open Carry is lawful, no license required, not even for vehicle carry. So when I go to DE, I simply OC.

(Montgomery County)

Is this another of those ..."I was buying some disposable diapers in Walmart"...posts?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware View Post
    In DE it's called a CCDW, but I never had a license in DE. Open Carry is lawful, no license required, not even for vehicle carry. So when I go to DE, I simply OC.
    Doh! Completely forgot that they were a "dash carry" state.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    Is this another of those ..."I was buying some disposable diapers in Walmart"...posts?
    Uh, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    Doh! Completely forgot that they were a "dash carry" state.
    Yup, dash or passenger seat. Basically in plain view so a police officer at your driver's window can see it.

(Berks County)

07/11/2012:

- CC Fulton Bank (Gap)

- CC Four Brothers Restaurant (Gap)

I lay mine on the front seat. Would that be legal? Its in a plastic holster (IWB) so if i put it on the dash it would slide all over the place, and it doesn't have straps to hang on the passenger seat.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I lay mine on the front seat. Would that be legal? Its in a plastic holster (IWB) so if i put it on the dash it would slide all over the place, and it doesn't have straps to hang on the passenger seat.
    I'm guessing we're talking about open carry in DE?

If by "lay mine on the front seat" you mean the passenger seat then yes. I wouldn't even keep it in a holster if it's on the passenger seat (for quick access if needed).

Dash carry is easy if you have a means to secure a holster onto the dash. Heat-resistant velcro (the dash gets really hot in the summer) works. Or arrange a strap system through your holster and connected by hooks to your vents somehow. Someone I know even connected a cheap holster to a clip board and put non-skid stuff on the back of the clip board. No sliding.

(Berks County)

07/15/2012:

-OC to one of our local pizza places (name withheld). I've been in there many times before, but never OC. The owner is ringing up my order and leans over the counter a little bit....

Him: "Why do you carry that into a place like this?"
    Me: "Personal protection. I carry everywhere I'm lawfully allowed to."
    Him: "Well, what if a child was eating here, and was afraid?"
    Me: "I'm not worried about other people's comfort levels."
    Him: "What is that?"
    Me: "Springfield Armory XD-9, service model, 4" barrel."
    Him: "Oh. 40? 45?"
    Me: "9mm."
    Him: "Oh, my 9mm is smaller" as he pulls it out from under the counter to show me.
    Me: "Uhhh, OK. How many rounds does that hold?" (he puts it back).
    Him: "11. 10+1. "
    Me: "That's what mine holds, although I have another mag that lets me carry 16+1."
    Him: "Wow."
    Me: "It's nice to see you protecting yourself with that. That's good."
    Him: "Yeah. Take care buddy."
    Me: "Alright, take care. See you soon!"

So I guess he doesn't mind me OCing in there. I should ask him if he'd be fine with a group of people coming in some day.

It was wierd when he brought out his gun to show me that he's protected, too. I know why he did it, but the fact that he did it in the first place freaks me out a little, since he was almost pointing it at me....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast