Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Cool Musikfest Bethlehem, PA

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

Musikfest has the following rules: (many removed for brevity to get to the point...)

The following are NOT permitted at the event:

...Unauthorized soliciting,
    Weapons of any kind...

What does this mean? It is most likely purposefully vague. Much of Musikfest is on public property.

I recall an incident not too long ago where two, I'll call them deliberate provokers (assholes in a certain context) who used the platform of plausible denial. They decided to open carry on the public part of Musikfest which caused a stir amongst Musikfest officials and ultimately the Bethlehem Police stated that there was nothing they could do and that indeed the two individuals could open carry. Conceal carry too, if they had a permit. I assume that this could get nit picky as to what is public grounds and what is Musikfest jurisdiction in this regard. I would think that Musikfest could control a gated ticketed venue such as any paid entry concert but not the general open grounds.

I tried to get resolution on this issue from the Bethlehem police and District Attorney Martin in Lehigh County and District Attorney John Morganelli in Northampton County. All offices ignored my request for information after several tries... Nice...

Default Re: Musikfest Bethlehem, PA

Sounds like Bethlehem Police know better, but also don't wanna sanction/encourage the carrying of weapons. In short, they'd probably leave you alone if you OC. Or at least, not haul you in if you remain silent.

(Monroe County)

Msikfest this year is on Private Property, the old steel works next to the sands.

(Northampton County)

Almost all of the venues on the North side are public property sans Chamber Series(inside a church) without any gating.
    http://www.musikfest.org/venues/
    You are free to carry you see fit. BPD knows the law well and will not harass, or violate any ones 4A. This has been covered before during last years event. I know an officer who's beat is down town on Main St. He said that they were well instructed not to violate any rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    He said that they were well instructed not to violate any rights.
    lol. Sorry, I find that hysterical. Wouldn't that be a given?

(Northampton County)

Yes it should be. Thankfully they have their ducks in order unlike many other municipalities in PA. I trust his word. He hangs out in the LGS and is a shooter. One of the good ones.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Msikfest this year is on Private Property, the old steel works next to the sands.
    If this is correct, then it can pose a problem for those of us that carry. You have 1. Private property
    2. No weapons policy

All we need now is security with wands.

Last year most of the fest was held on public streets, and carrying was not a problem.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: Musikfest Bethlehem, PA

This still does not get to the essence of the issue. We all know, or should, the laws regarding OC and CC. The issue is what is considered private property. Musikfest seems to wish to remain silent on these issues.

We all seem to have a hunch about what is and what is not allowable within the context of OC and CC, just not the certainty to link it up to the given scenario, site, venue, etc. I am not the type to go probe for an argument unless i know for sure that someone isn't going to pull some bullshit technicality on me. Like, yes if you walk here it is OK. But we saw you take on step there and that is a no no. I'm not interested in the gotcha angle!

As for the Bethlehem Police. I know a few, both retired and a few in higher authority positions. I may speak with them directly face to face, hey, maybe at the Wooden Match, my buy!
    Last edited by UncleWalther; July 10th, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Typos

For what its worth, my two cents..... Anywhere that is considered "public property", .... Main, Broad Street etc.... the park area along the Monocacy, sidewalks etc... I carry. With fest moving to private property at Steel Stax, that's another story. If its posted no weapons, no carry.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Northampton County)

Fair enough. I'll look for the postings. Funny, I never noticed them before. I'll be sure to look for the clearly marked postings on the south venue and the equally absent ones on the north side. Why does that not make me feel a whole lot better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast