Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Talking Building an AK-47

After viewing several related threads, a question presents itself to me. If one purchases a stamped flat AK-47 reciever and a parts kit, assembles the components into a functional rifle, what then is one legally bound to do? Must this weapon be registered? Serial numbered? Just curious.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Building an AK-47

There is no "registration" in PA.. ..so no, you dont have to do that.

As for the serial #.. If I remember correctly - you're not legally required to do that either, but the ATF does recommend it and/or putting your name+city/state on it. ...but its not required by law.

I do serial # my homemade guns. I use my initials then the number in order of creation. Example: XYZ0001, or XYZ0023, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Smile Re: Building an AK-47

Thanks, Knight. Could you reccomend an easy "build your own gun" project? I imagine building your own has to be the greatest. I constantly get Sportsmans Guide catalogs with an abundance of parts listed, is this a good place to start? Would appreciate any guidance.

(Jefferson County)

oh god.. I'm not sure on the AK's, I make other firearms(single shot rifles/handguns) for personal use.. ...there are so many ak kits out there now for me to give a good or informed promotion.

I do know that you'll need a good bending jig for the AK flat, then some way to heat treat it.

Hopefully one of the other guys here can help you with an AK home build.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Chester County)

ak47.net has a whole section of the forum devoted to diy builds, its rather dense stuff so from there you will be able to build or ask q's if you get stuck.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Washington County)

Cool Re: Building an AK-47

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

(Montgomery County)

I'd like to hear more about single shot rifles and pistols. The DIY Ar and AK kits are cool and all but everyone is doing it. It'd be interesting to build something unique and not completely from a kit/milsurp parts.

(Washington County)

Cool Re: Building an AK-47

I agree. Without trying to pry too much, what did you build first, and how did you go about it? I think even a single shot .22 would be interesting if it was uniquely your creation, from the ground up, so to speak.

(Jefferson County)

I've made break open type guns sorta like the old Stevens pistols and like today's NEF/H&R rifles. I have two working models right now, but they aren't 100% finished.

The first gun I made though was a pistol made out of steel flats about 3/16" thick for the receiver and a 3/4" thick steel block for the breech face. It was very rudimentary and unrefined - but did shoot 38spl really well.

I also have a FMJ/Lienad kit for a derringer that I need to complete. I got the steel side flats finished, just need to weld them to the breech face then drill the firing pin holes.

An uncle and I are working on a falling block rifle design presently. He wants to go with a High Wall type center hammer, I'm trying to talk him into a side hammer like the Sharps. ....either way it'll be much beefier than either the High Wall or Sharps. ....think dinosaur gun, but only 45cal with a large capacity casing - however we'll be using them on groundhog.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've made break open type guns sorta like the old Stevens pistols and like today's NEF/H&R rifles. I have two working models right now, but they aren't 100% finished.

The first gun I made though was a pistol made out of steel flats about 3/16" thick for the receiver and a 3/4" thick steel block for the breech face. It was very rudimentary and unrefined - but did shoot 38spl really well.

I also have a FMJ/Lienad kit for a derringer that I need to complete. I got the steel side flats finished, just need to weld them to the breech face then drill the firing pin holes.

An uncle and I are working on a falling block rifle design presently. He wants to go with a High Wall type center hammer, I'm trying to talk him into a side hammer like the Sharps. ....either way it'll be much beefier than either the High Wall or Sharps. ....think dinosaur gun, but only 45cal with a large capacity casing - however we'll be using them on groundhog.
    Pics at all?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast