Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Subsonic 22 ammo review

I finally went out with my suppressor for the first time today. I had the opportunity to test out 3 subsonic loads and 1 regular load.

Weapon
    Ruger MKIII

Suppressor
    Gem Tech Outback II

Ammo
    Wolf MT (match target) 40gr
    Aguila SE 30 gr
    CCI Subsonic 40gr
    Winchester Dynapoints 40 gr

All ammo shot well out of my pistol. I would say that the Aguila SE was the most accurate out of the MKIII. It was also the most quiet out of the three subsonic ammo. The sound level was equal to an air rifle. I was very impressed with the accuracy and the noise reduction from the Gem Tech.

Ammo accuracy
    Aguila SE
    Wolf MT
    CCI Subsonic
    Winchester Dynapoints

Noise reduction
    Aguila SE
    Wolf MT
    CCI Subsonic
    Winchester Dynapoints

The Dynapoints were pretty quiet considering they weren't a true subsonic ammo. I will try to find more subsonic ammo to compare. Overall, I was happy with the performance of all the ammo that I tested. I should have my 10/22 back this week, and I will be conducting the same test with the 10/22.

What I found interesting is that the Aguila SE was pretty cheap at $12.50 per brick. If this ammo shoots as well in my 10/22, I will be buying a case for my 22's.

Poultney, VT(school) Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Subsonic 22 ammo review

I shoot CCI CB longs in my back yard (remember subburbs) and my air rifle is loader.

(Allegheny County)

Which MKIII do you have and how much was your suppressor? I'm thinking about getting into the .22 scene. Ammo is hurtin the wallet especially the .40. I was throwing around the idea and I hear the ruger is the best for the money. any suggestions for someone who knows nothing about .22's?

(Westmoreland County)

I'm very jealous of you. What did the total wait for the paperwork to be processed end up being?

(Erie County)

Thanks for the review.

Can't wait till I get my TAC65 for my Walther P22, my dealers Form 3 is taking forever then I have to put in my Form 4. I'm too impatient to get NFA items!!!! Gonna be a fun time though.

I have the heavy barrel 4" MKIII. Ruger discontinued the MKII and replaced it with the MKIII. Just keep in mind that the MKII and MKIII use different mags, so make sure you buy the correct mags for your pistol.

I like the MK series, BUT to disassemble it and reassemble it is a PITA. If you aren't good at tinker, I would recommend buying a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol. It is very simple to disassemble/reassemble.

I was looking at a Tac65 because you can take it a part to clean it, but they are going up in price and I don't feel that the quality for a Tac65 is the same as a GemTech or AAC or SWR.

The paperwork didn't take very long at all...it took less than a month to get the paperwork approved. I know that Dan got his a little quicker because he went through his company, so he avoided the fingerprinting requirement.

I know lots of people who are suppressing their P22's...but it seems that you either love the P22 or you will curse it. My friend had one and he sold it the next day. I heard there were some mag issues with the first P22's.

(Allegheny County)

What's all involved in the paperwork? Is it like applying for the ccw? Where do I go to file said paperwork?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I have the heavy barrel 4" MKIII. Ruger discontinued the MKII and replaced it with the MKIII. Just keep in mind that the MKII and MKIII use different mags, so make sure you buy the correct mags for your pistol.

I like the MK series, BUT to disassemble it and reassemble it is a PITA. If you aren't good at tinker, I would recommend buying a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol. It is very simple to disassemble/reassemble.

I was looking at a Tac65 because you can take it a part to clean it, but they are going up in price and I don't feel that the quality for a Tac65 is the same as a GemTech or AAC or SWR.

The paperwork didn't take very long at all...it took less than a month to get the paperwork approved. I know that Dan got his a little quicker because he went through his company, so he avoided the fingerprinting requirement.

I know lots of people who are suppressing their P22's...but it seems that you either love the P22 or you will curse it. My friend had one and he sold it the next day. I heard there were some mag issues with the first P22's.
    Ya I've heard that, but at $240 shipped/transfer tax I was willing to take a shot. It was well worth it, I haven't had a single issue with it. Besides the fact that its PITA to take apart. There are so many parts and they are all so small. I paid 234.00 for my TAC65. They were coming out with a NEW (not the 67) all stainless one and I think that was going for $400ish. Definately not worth it. .22s are so dirty, thats why I chose the 65.

What's all involved in the paperwork? Is it like applying for the ccw? Where do I go to file said paperwork?
    It's a Form 4. At the sherrif's office you have to have your prints taken, photo, backround check. Then it goes off the the ATF and they approve it. You also have to find a dealer that has what you want or get it shipped to them. You need the serial number for the suppressor on the Form 4. It's not hard, just time consuming.

If you are interested in buying a suppressor...I would suggest finding a class III (c3) dealer in your area. He/she can help you through it the first time...it's not as difficult as one might think. It is a bit overwhelming the first time, but it's pretty simple.

Here is what I did. The first thing I did was I made sure my County Sheriff would sign my Form 4. If the County Sheriff won't sign off...you might want to set up a trust or company, so you can avoid going through the finger printing process. I was fortunate that Chester County Sheriff will sign my Form 4.

I found a class III dealer and talked to him...make sure the person knows what they are talking about...DanP and John C both recommended a guy in NEPA. He was very knowledgable and nice to deal with. I went to his house...figured out which suppressor I wanted to purchase...I paid him the $300 for the Gem Tech OutbackII. We completed the Form 4 paperwork. I took my Form 4 (2 copies because everything is in duplicates) to the County Sheriff and they took my fingerprints....they charged me $10 per copy so $20 total. I had to have 2 passport sized photos as well...I found that Sears was the cheapest at $15 for 4 pictures...walmart cost more. After I had my finger printed and the Country Sheriff sign off...I mailed the fingerprints, photos on the Form 4 plus the $200 tax stamp to the ATF. I was shocked that it took less than 30 days to be approved. The paperwork is a lot faster now that it's being processed in WV.

(Allegheny County)

Wow, Allegheny County sheriff probably won't sign it. What is this called? What do you get? sounds kinda like some different permit i've never heard of. Do you have to get a tax stamp every time you get something like this? What else requires this? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm so curious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast