Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Police: Pair showed badges, had guns

Men pose as detectives, rob Lebanon residents

LEBANON, Pa. - Lebanon police said they are searching for two men who posed as officers during a robbery at a home.

The men wore suits, displayed police-type badges and carried guns as they entered a home along Tiffany Lane about 9:30 p.m. Friday, Lebanon police said.

The pair posed as detectives and told the victims they were conducting an investigation, police said.

They used flexible handcuffs on two victims then they removed a small safe, three guns and money from the home before leaving, police said.

The victims were able to call police about midnight, police said. No one was hurt.

Police said they think the victims were targeted and the impersonators were familiar with investigative techniques and police tactics.

A third person is being sought in connection with the incident.
    http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna...207092012&ts=H

Default Re: Police: Pair showed badges, had guns

Quote Originally Posted by jkoons View Post
    Men pose as detectives, rob Lebanon residents

http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna...207092012&ts=H

I think I've heard this story before. Did one of the perps look like this.

(Northampton County)

Well, I guess this is one more reason to not let the police into your house unless they have a warrant. I guess it also can't hurt to call 911 for confirmation when non-uniformed people show up claiming to be police and ask to come inside.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Well, I guess this is one more reason to not let the police into your house unless they have a warrant. I guess it also can't hurt to call 911 for confirmation when non-uniformed people show up claiming to be police and ask to come inside.
    It may not be possible to stop them and though 911 is a good thing , it takes too long.

We as law abiding people don't think this way , you look out the window , see uniforms and badges you open the door . I guess paranoia might be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    It may not be possible to stop them and though 911 is a good thing , it takes too long.

We as law abiding people don't think this way , you look out the window , see uniforms and badges you open the door . I guess paranoia might be a good thing.
    I agree with this. However, refusing to let them in implies guilt (it doesn't, but it does). This helps them to later get a warrant (it shouldn't, but it does). For me, I'll let them in, but if they start to get accusatory or try to entrap me, I'll rescind my invitation and order them to leave. If they refuse to leave, I'll call 911 and have documentation of their illegal trespass.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    I agree with this. However, refusing to let them in implies guilt (it doesn't, but it does). This helps them to later get a warrant (it shouldn't, but it does). For me, I'll let them in, but if they start to get accusatory or try to entrap me, I'll rescind my invitation and order them to leave. If they refuse to leave, I'll call 911 and have documentation of their illegal trespass.
    If they are there to rob you, once they are inside its to late. They are not going to leave just because you tell them to. Oh you don't want us here our bad...can we take you stuff? No oh ok good bye sorry to trouble you.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

(Clarion County)

The problem here is once you open that door , it's to late , there criminals with guns. There coming in and you've been had , can't do anything.

(Berks County)

Incidents like these are why the wife and I always have a weapon either hanging from our shoulders or our hips at all times on our property. Safety in the home is an illusion. This kind of crap can go down anywhere, at any time.

When I answer the door I always step away from the door so it can't be kicked into me, and my strong side is twisted out of sight. Never had to answer a suspicious knock, but if I do my hand will be resting on the pistol with the thumb-break open.

If it's gone to the "already in my hand" point, I doubt I'll be opening the door so much as speaking down from an upper story window to whomever is attempting to gain access. And I doubt it'll be a 1911 I'm wielding at that point, either.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Incidents like these are why the wife and I always have a weapon either hanging from our shoulders or our hips at all times on our property. Safety in the home is an illusion. This kind of crap can go down anywhere, at any time.

When I answer the door I always step away from the door so it can't be kicked into me, and my strong side is twisted out of sight. Never had to answer a suspicious knock, but if I do my hand will be resting on the pistol with the thumb-break open.

If it's gone to the "already in my hand" point, I doubt I'll be opening the door so much as speaking down from an upper story window to whomever is attempting to gain access. And I doubt it'll be a 1911 I'm wielding at that point, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    The problem here is once you open that door , it's to late , there criminals with guns. There coming in and you've been had , can't do anything.
    There always seems to me more resistance to carrying a firearm in one's own house as compared to out and about. However, these two posts show why this is so important. I will never open a door to someone I don't know. We can talk through the front door if we must. Call it rude, but if I don't know who they are and I am not expecting anyone, they can wait outside until I verify their identity. If they are legitimate - especially the police - they should understand or at least tolerate the delay. If it isn't legit or they decide to leave, at least they changed their mind and left me and mine alone. If not, 911 can deal with them outside my house. Yes, I know it can take a long time for them to show up and I am not counting on the police to keep me safe, but if they can deal with a possible criminal instead of my, why should I risk me and mine over trying to not look rude?

There are plenty of documented incidents where criminals force their way into a house once the door is opened a crack (even if it is because they smashed out a window). Based on these other people's experiences, I don't think it is unreasonable to carry inside the house, to not open the door for an unexpected knock, or as Lexington mentions, "answering" a suspicious knock on the door from a different floor. It is better to be safe than sorry.

(Northampton County)

That makes no sense to me at all.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast