Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How do you put one in the pipe?

For carrying a SA (SemiAuto) with a chambered round - how do you make that happen? I don't have a SA (SemiAuto), but say you have a Glock 17, with a 17-round mag. Do you load up 17 into the mag, insert it into the pistol, rack the slide, then take out the mag and add another round and then reinsert?

I consider myself a google search ninja, but couldn't find this info anywhere.

Edit: clarified... I mean Semi Auto, when saying "SA".
    Last edited by tommy610; July 9th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

Default Re: How do you put one in the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    For carrying a SA with a chambered round - how do you make that happen? I don't have a SA, but say you have a Glock 17, with a 17-round mag. Do you load up 17 into the mag, insert it into the pistol, rack the slide, then take out the mag and add another round and then reinsert?

That's what I do. Glock's are technically "Safe-Action" and not SA or DA though. Not to nit-pick.

(Bucks County)

if you are talking a true SA, like a 1911?

I insert the mag, rack the slide, engage the safety, remove the mag, replace round, insert mag, holster
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Quote Originally Posted by AK47sForAll View Post
    That's what I do. Glock's are technically "Safe-Action" and not SA or DA though. Not to nit-pick.
    SA = SemiAuto, in this case.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

SA = SemiAuto, in this case.

Thanks.
    Same procedure as above, but if it's my Beretta M9 instead of the 1911, then I leave the safety on and the hammer down.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

Assuming I'm starting with an empty magazine, I load one round into the magazine, insert the magazine, chamber the round, drop the magazine, and then fill it. That way I only have to put the last (most difficult) round in the magazine once instead of twice.

(Beaver County)

For carrying a SA with a chambered round - how do you make that happen? I don't have a SA, but say you have a Glock 17, with a 17-round mag. Do you load up 17 into the mag, insert it into the pistol, rack the slide, then take out the mag and add another round and then reinsert?

^^^This,only with S&W M&P 9MM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

For my M&P 40 I have a separate set of mag's for home defense (6 total) and range use. This way I don't have to unload my HD mags when I go to the range.

I will take the +1 round and put it in an empty range mag and chamber it, then eject that magazine and insert the full mag with HD ammo and holster.

Thanks for the info, guys. I get it. I like the idea of just doing a one-round mag with a rack first, and then filling the mag. Smart.

I'm a revolver guy, and I'm considering getting a Glock... starting to think through some things that I don't have to deal with with a revolver.

(Bucks County)

If you do it repeatedly, there is no good way. Any method can potentially have negative consequences. You could:

Load the top round from a magazine. This is bad if done repeatedly because you can "set back" the bullet into the case, shortening the OAL which results in higher chamber pressures.

or

Load from the magazine, but rotate your round each time. This prevents the "set back" issue but puts unnecessary wear on the magazine and the rounds. (It's also burdensome to dump your entire mag out each morning, line up all your rounds, rotate them and then reload them all. I seriously doubt anyone actually does this.)

or

Drop the round directly into the chamber. This prevents bullet set back and unnecessary wear on the magazine and the rounds, but puts more wear on your extractor since it has to snap over the rim, excessively compressing the extractor spring and also marking up your case rim.

So as you can see, the only good option is to keep your gun chambered at all times. Any method of loading/unloading may cause wear if you do it repeatedly.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; July 9th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast