Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Good discussion while deep sea fishing today.

I went deep sea fishing to day with 8 other people. I knew a couple of the people in the group including one person I had not seen since the 80's. He, I and a good friend of mine who I go shooting with a lot got into a discussion.. Turns out the guy I had not seen since the 80's had his LTCF and we got to talking about firearms.

This is where I am starting to realize that some conversation ought to be out of a textbook. He was telling us how he got pulled overa couple of years ago and told the police he had a gun. He was complaining that they took his gun from him, but when he got it back it they did not return his case and claimed he did not have one when he gave it to them. He explained it in a lot more colorful terms, I am giving the edited version. It was at this point the aproximate following conversation took place.

me: Why did you tell him you had a gun?
    Him: You have to , it's the law
    Me: no its not
    Him: Yes it is
    Me: No seriously, I know 100% what I am talking about here. In some states you do have to inform, But Pa is not one of them.
    My other buddy: Hes right (me) listen to him, I thought you had to tell the cop to, we talked aobut this a couple of months ago and he showed me in writing that you do not have to to inform.
    Him: Really, I always heard that you had to and it says so in the paperwork they send you.
    Me: whoever told you that was wrong, and if the paperwork they send you says that, its wrong.
    Him: Really,
    My Buddy: Trust us, he researched this.
    Him: I believe you, but I always thought you had to.

The cool thing about the above conversation is if not for PAFOA and what I've learned here (Its been a lot) I probably would have nodded my head sagely in agreement when he said he had to tell the cop and not said a word. Even worse than that, it still would be a part of my common knowledge and I would be spreading the same mistruth that you have to inform when pulled over. So if anyone wonders whether this website does any good, and if its worth the time and effort to say the same things over and over, even if it seems like you are beating your head against a wall....... it is. People like me do learn.

Then we got on the topic of recording, Once again textbook.
    Him: You can't record cops without their consent
    Me: Yes you can, and started talking about recent court cases saying police have no expectation of privacy and that the Department of Justice said it is legal as long as you are not interfering with police doing their job.
    Him: Really, I believe you, but i always thought that you couldn't.

We talked about other gun related things but those were the main points.

Ironically we were in New Jersey at the time of the discussion. (out of Cape May, I felt dirty being there) He was aware not to bring a gun into NJ.

All and all, considering I only caught one skate and one undersized sea bass, it was a good day.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Good discussion while deep sea fishing today.

Sounds fun even though the fish weren't biting. Rep for educating your friend.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Philadelphia County)

Damn skates, that's all I've ever caught when deep sea fishing, too! But I agree, the best way to learn is through repetition. After all, isn't that how we train with our firearms? I've certainly learned a lot here, too, and the repetition is a big part of it. I guess it's only fair at this point that I give a special thanks to all the dead horses on this forum. Your beatings have not been in vain!
    2A351

As a group we wound up with 5 flounders and 1 Sea bass. Not the best haul, but a day like this goes well beyond catching fish for me.

Yep repetition is a legitimate educational tool in many different facets of life.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    As a group we wound up with 5 flounders and 1 Sea bass. Not the best haul, but a day like this goes well beyond catching fish for me.

Yep repetition is a legitimate educational tool in many different facets of life.
    Most of my sporting endeavors go beyond the actual fishing or hunting anymore. Glad you were able to spend the day doing something cool and catching up with friends. Good friends are hard to come by these days, even harder than flounder or blues.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Most of my sporting endeavors go beyond the actual fishing or hunting anymore. Glad you were able to spend the day doing something cool and catching up with friends. Good friends are hard to come by these days, even harder than flounder or blues.
    Jules
    Exactly, I have my yearly camping trip coming up in two weeks with 4 of my closest friends from growing up.. We've met for the last 14 years and just bullshit around the fire. The reason we do it? As you said good friends are hard to come by.

(Northampton County)

Sounds like you had a good time in the outdoors with good friends and good conversation!

I agree that it is pretty cool to see proper knowledge being spread around, especially when one realizes how easily misinformation can be spread around like fact.

(McKean County)

Lots of people hear lots of stuff and repeat it like they were the experts. Had someone tell me you couldn't carry in banks, no, wait they said, you can't carry in a bank with the word "National" in its title... I always carry a couple of flyers and hand them out.

THIS is deep sea fishing (in the Gulf Stream about 40 miles out of Manteo) - and there is a 642-2 in there also.

Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time in the outdoors with good friends and good conversation!

I agree that it is pretty cool to see proper knowledge being spread around, especially when one realizes how easily misinformation can be spread around like fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    Lots of people hear lots of stuff and repeat it like they were the experts. Had someone tell me you couldn't carry in banks, no, wait they said, you can't carry in a bank with the word "National" in its title... I always carry a couple of flyers and hand them out.

THIS is deep sea fishing (in the Gulf Stream about 40 miles out of Manteo) - and there is a 642-2 in there also.

Nice catch, yeah, I wouldn't really call the 75 feet or so that we were at "Deep Sea"