Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

Don't mean to waste space,but"reaction".When I pull the trigger on my G-17,it's snappy and ample.When I pull the trigger on my G-30,there is a profound difference.The 9mm. is ample and no way do I feel under-gunned,I just prefer the .45.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Don't mean to waste space,but"reaction".When I pull the trigger on my G-17,it's snappy and ample.When I pull the trigger on my G-30,there is a profound difference.The 9mm. is ample and no way do I feel under-gunned,I just prefer the .45.
    You didn't answer the question.

How do you suppose a human is going to tell the difference between 1/7th of 1 oz, and ~300fps as a projectile tears through their body?

What you feel in your hand doesn't change what happens when a little piece of high speed metal hits human tissue.

(Clarion County)

9mm.fmj.at 25 yards-fps.1180--358-ft.lbs.
    .45--fmj.at 25 yards-fps.827--351-ft.lbs.
    Crow anyone-?

(Chester County)

9mm.fmj.at 25 yards-fps.1180--358-ft.lbs.
    .45--fmj.at 25 yards-fps.827--351-ft.lbs.
    Crow anyone-?
    Not sure of the source of those numbers, but that doesn't look too far off. Going by your numbers there's 7ftlbs of difference...which translates to a 2% difference in energy....your helping me make my point. Let alone your quoting 9mm as having more energy than .45acp.....

Going by Federals numbers...they're calling 230gr FMJ Amer Eagle ammo with 404 ftlbs at the muzzle, and 9mm 115gr FMJ with 356 ftlbs at the muzzle.

That's a 48 ftlb difference, or about 12% energy difference.
    The delivery envelope is 2mm's different, and about 1/7th of 1 oz difference. The difference in speed is 300ft/s...when we're already talking about something going aprox 1000 ft/s.

I fail to see how anyone is really gonna be able to tell the difference when they receive either in the COM or face.
    Last edited by synergy; October 3rd, 2008 at 09:48 PM.

(Clarion County)

Red face Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

The 9mm.115gns.
    the .45 230gns.
    That would be my crow,not your's.I hear they taste like chicken,I'll let you know.

25 yards is slightly a long shot and I'm sure the No.would change slightly but not substancially.--Salt,pepper,wash it down with a little vintage wine,maybe I'll take a likeing to crow.

I'm getting smarter by the minute.Sir.my hat off to you,you are correct.

(Delaware County)

.45ACP
    Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. loads do about 890fps at 10 feet. That's 405 foot pounds.
    I don't carry a .45 hardly at all, but I've got a couple G21 mags loaded with the HSTs.

9mm
    Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+
    I can't find a velocity, but I know for sure that it makes major, so it's gotta be at least 1299fps. That's 476 foot pounds.
    This is a pretty common police load, and has performed very well. Muzzle flip in my experience is less than with the .45 standard pressure loads, and recoil with a full size pistol is not hardly painful.

Federal HST 124 gr. +P
    1200fps @ 10 feet. That's 397 foot pounds.
    This is very similar to the Gold Dot load that I carry in my Glocks. The Gold Dot load has performed well for NYPD, and many other LE agencies. Muzzle flip with the Gold Dot load is mild, and recoil is just a wee bit more than your average 9mm practice ammo.

Federal 147 gr.
    1000fps @ 10 feet. That's 327 foot pounds. This is very similar to the Winchester Ranger load that has performed very well in police shootings. I carry the Ranger load in my Kahr PM9. Can't comment on muzzle flip or recoil in pistols over pocket pistol size.

25yard data is kinda pointless. That's some more realistic data, FWIW. Don't ask me what it all means, but there it is.

Numbers are pulled from this Acrobat file.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Cambria County)

The 9mm.115gns.
    the .45 230gns.
    That would be my crow,not your's.I hear they taste like chicken,I'll let you know.

25 yards is slightly a long shot and I'm sure the No.would change slightly but not substancially.--Salt,pepper,wash it down with a little vintage wine,maybe I'll take a likeing to crow.

I'm getting smarter by the minute.Sir.my hat off to you,you are correct.
    That's why the truly wise of us come here, we can all learn a little something now and again, and share what we know with others. I think you might end up liking it here.

(Clarion County)

Talking Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

I'm likeing it hear already.I'ts a way to stay in touch with all you fine people.Because of the economy,my wife and I are down here I florida,that's where the money is right now.Well,I'll build me a "super-load".45,and we'll change those stats.,carbon fiber projectile-triple tap.

(Perry County)

I am looking for a handgun for protection. I'm a woman, so I don't want anything heavy or cumbersome to handle. Any suggestions on what I should get?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sist3rchick View Post
    I am looking for a handgun for protection. I'm a woman, so I don't want anything heavy or cumbersome to handle. Any suggestions on what I should get?
    The lighter it is, the more it'll kick when you shoot it. The smaller it is, the tougher it'll be to hold, aim, and shoot.

Where you decided to balance those trade-offs is a personal choice. Shoot a few models before you decide on something.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast