Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Default Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

Thanks for the good advice.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the informative read. I'm a fan of my 38 special - easy to handle, fits well in my hand and conceals perfectly but my husband is pushing for me to carry the 9mm. Perhaps he's right after all.....lol

(Allegheny County)

I really enjoyed the read but one thing that I completely disagree with was your constant reference back to the whole only 2 mm different. Yes this is true, but in that regards a .500 S&W Magnum is 12.7mm. Hell a 50 BMG is
    .510 (12.95mm). Is that apples to oranges yes. I'm just saying I don't see how saying a 9mm and a 11mm being only 2 mm apart is a viable excuse to be repeatedly brought up when all bullet diameters are going to be only a mm here or there. That is all.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bcgst5 View Post
    I really enjoyed the read but one thing that I completely disagree with was your constant reference back to the whole only 2 mm different. Yes this is true, but in that regards a .500 S&W Magnum is 12.7mm. Hell a 50 BMG is
    .510 (12.95mm). Is that apples to oranges yes. I'm just saying I don't see how saying a 9mm and a 11mm being only 2 mm apart is a viable excuse to be repeatedly brought up when all bullet diameters are going to be only a mm here or there. That is all.
    and a 5.56 is smaller...................
    but your comparing (as you said ) apples and oranges. Comparing handgun rounds (non magnum's at least) IS apples to apples. What a 9mm and what a 45ACP do are not going to be much different, and in some cases some rounds will do better than others (40SW bonded bullets for auto glass as an example, or 9mm through clothing).

(Westmoreland County)

Any opinions on the Hi-Point 9mm pistol. i have the carbine & love it

(Beaver County)

I'm new to handguns, but through my own testing and research of over a year, i chose an FN 57. Small caliber(5.7x28mm),high capacity mag(20), rifle characteristics and velocity(2,000 fps.) depending on the round. The 57 produces very low recoil, which makes target re-aquisition easy. The gun is very light even with full mag.(2.3 lbs.) and easy to conceal. Some of the downfalls of the 57 are the size of the handgrip, its larger to accommodate the length of the ammo. for my larger hand its perfect. and more importantly the availability of ammo, a good gun shop will stock at least six 50 rnd. boxes but most ive seen have to order the ammo. Ammo price is about $22 for 50 rounds(ss197sr).

One thing to remember is that, if you don't shoot regularly, an automatic pistol may not be for you. If you keep your automatic pistol loaded for a long time, and don't test it periodically, you may some day find that the magazine spring has taken a set and won't feed reliably.

If you're at the range and discover that your gun jams because the magazine springs are weak, no problem, just change the springs out.

If your trying to stop a home invader from killing you and your loved ones, and discover that the gun you've had in the night table for 5 years has become a Jam-O-Matic, you're screwed.

Tony

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DiPalma View Post
    One thing to remember is that, if you don't shoot regularly, an automatic pistol may not be for you. If you keep your automatic pistol loaded for a long time, and don't test it periodically, you may some day find that the magazine spring has taken a set and won't feed reliably.

If you're at the range and discover that your gun jams because the magazine springs are weak, no problem, just change the springs out.

If your trying to stop a home invader from killing you and your loved ones, and discover that the gun you've had in the night table for 5 years has become a Jam-O-Matic, you're screwed.

Tony
    Springs wear from use , not from sitting still.
    That's an old wives gun tale .

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39949
    Last edited by Shawn.L; May 14th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

All that advice, and not a WORD about practice & training.

Get PROFICIENT with the pistol, so that you don't HAVE to spray bullets willy-nilly.

Carry enough firepower (i.e. - BIG honkin' bullets!!!) to STOP the badguy, not PESTER him.

They MAKE spare mag carriers. If your job in da' 'HOOD, as store manager of a JOS A Bank, sales manager at the Rolls/Bentley dealership, or bank branch manager, forces you to dress like an expensive target, then plan accordingly - Chip McCormick 10 rnd, mag in your 1911, and double-stack high capacity mag carriers, will actually hold four (4) 1911 8-round mags.

Need MORE firepower? Then stick near your SAW gunner. You really shouldn't be patrolling Iraq or Afghanistan armed ONLY with a pistol...

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: Expert advice on selecting a handgun

Thanx for the great info.. i'm still trying to determine the best pistol for me. does anyone know where there's classes around the lehigh valley area for pistol training?

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast