Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Allentown Gun buy back

I have an old Czech .25 pistol that I picked up at a flea market for $5. The lady selling it thought it was a toy gun. It has no finish left, a moderate amount of pitting, the grip panels are missing and the frame is held together with a bent nail. Surprisingly, the magazine is not missing.

I've had this thing for 15 yrs.... just waiting for Mechanicsburg to hold a gun buyback!

(Lehigh County)

Does anyone know if BB or Pellet guns qualify?

Rob

Air rifles usually do not qualify but you never know when you might get a cop working these things that have no idea what they are looking at.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I have an old Czech .25 pistol that I picked up at a flea market for $5. The lady selling it thought it was a toy gun. It has no finish left, a moderate amount of pitting, the grip panels are missing and the frame is held together with a bent nail. Surprisingly, the magazine is not missing.

I've had this thing for 15 yrs.... just waiting for Mechanicsburg to hold a gun buyback!
    Sell the gun to the buyback but sell the magazine separate on broker for extra cash. buhahahaha
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    ALLENTOWN, Pa. -
    Your unwanted guns are worth some big bucks at Kmart.

Allentown will hold a gun buy-back program on Saturday at St. Luke's Evangelical Church on North 7th Street.

If you turn in a gun, you'll get a $100 Kmart gift card.

The buy-back will help make the streets safer, police said.

"If we were able to develop a panacea, we wouldn't want any illegal guns on the street and any unregistered guns, so this is just a small step toward that," said Asst. Chief Joe Hanna, Allentown Police Dept.

To participate in the gun buy-back program, take your unloaded firearm, along with photo identification or two forms of non-photo ID, to the church between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday

Author : Katie Shank of WFMZ Channel 69

Suppose you don't have a LTCF?
    So he wants to get any unregistered guns off the streets. Does that mean he wants to get ALL guns off the street?
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    That is taken care of via an exception:
    So I'll assume an FFL will be there?

Cool Re: Allentown Gun buy back

Says nothing if they have to be real ! Go to Walmart buy a dozen toy guns and cash them in.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Says nothing if they have to be real ! Go to Walmart buy a dozen toy guns and cash them in.
    II was thinking the exact same thing.

(Northampton County)

Why don't we show up and outbid the police department on long guns?

If and FFL can make it, maybe we can outbid them on the handguns too?

This has been done in Austin, Texas where Texans for Accountable Government showed up at a gun buyback. They then took these guns to a gunsmith to make sure they were safe to use and then donated then to families who lived in high vrime neighborhoods who could not afford a gun for self-defense.

==================================================

Texans for Accountable Government Counters Austin Police Department's "Guns for Groceries" Program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGovcSN07S

Austinites outbid Police in gun buyback counter-program

WHO: Texans for Accountable Government (TAG) and local Austin activists.
    WHAT: Local activists will be purchasing guns from Austinites in need of a little cash, and will give some of the firearms to law abiding residents in need. The citizens receiving those firearms will be encouraged to participate in community philanthropy.
    WHERE: The right of way in front of Oak Meadow Baptist Church, 6905 South I-35, South Austin.
    WHEN: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26.

Feb. 25, 2011

AUSTIN -- The fast-talking auctioneer nonchalantly reaches for his gavel, sure that no one can beat the only bid on the floor so far.

"$100 grocery card for this walnut-grip, straight-shooting 9mm Browning Hi-Power, from the police officer in the corner. Do I hear $110 ..?" he says, before rattling off an increasing series of numbers.

"$110 cash!" comes a lone voice from the back of the crowd, to a few gasps from the crowd. This has never happened before.

"Going once, going twice ... SOLD!" says the auctioneer, with no higher bids made.

Unfortunately, Saturday morning's Austin Police Department "Guns for Groceries" event won't be held as a public auction. But local Austin activists are hoping to engage APD in a bidding-war with.

The plan: To outbid the APD in their effort to disarm the economically disadvantaged while promoting community philanthropy and safety.

Texans for Accountable Government (TAG) will be hosting the "Guns for Cash" counter-program on the public right of way in front of Meadow Baptist Church, 6905 South I-35 in Austin, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. TAG's event will provide a means for local activists to offer those trading in their working firearms cash and, as a bonus, the firearm will be used to better their community in a multitude of ways.

"Instead of destroying the firearms like APD plans to do, which is a sad waste of resources," explained John Bush, executive director of TAG, "Austin activists will be giving some of the functioning guns we collect to local Texans in need. Those receiving the firearms will be asked to volunteer for community philanthropy projects so we can make our city a more safe and enjoyable place to live. This is especially important in these trying economic times." Bush added that they were also hoping to "educate the public about the simplicity and lawfulness of private firearms transactions."

TAG holds strongly to the Second Amendment's right to bear arms, and agrees with the countless studies that show that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens makes for a safer city -- not a more dangerous environment as APD's "Guns for Groceries" implies.

While the Greater Austin Crime Commission is paying for the APD's buyback program, the Guns for Cash program is funded entirely by individual, local activists. The organization TAG is not buying the guns, Bush clarified.

"We have already secured $2,000 and are looking for more funds to compete with APD, which will have $30,000 worth of grocery debit cards," said Heather Fazio, a TAG leader, and a facilitator for the event. Fazio said more donations are necessary to keep pace with APD. Those interested in supporting this cause may e-mail John Bush at LibertyLover512[AT]yahoo.com for more information.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Below is a comparison between APD's and TAG's gun buyback offers:
    (Activists will only be accepting functional firearms)

Handguns and rifles: APD, $100 grocery card, TAG, $110

"Assault" or sporting rifles: APD, $200 grocery card, TAG, $220

Air gun, BB gun, or replica: APD, $10 grocery card. TAG, n/a

INSTRUCTIONS FOR TRANSFERRING GUNS AND RIFLES
    • Unload the gun.
    • Put the gun and ammunition in separate paper bags.
    • Bring gun and ammunition to the right of way in front of Oak Meadow Baptist Church (6905 South IH-35), Saturday, February 26, 2011, between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
    • Upon arrival, tell an activist you are there to sell a gun.
    • Do not remove the gun from the bag unless asked to do so.

(Lehigh County)

This has got to be the most criminal and stupid thing I have ever read. I'm sure right now the crips and bloods are lining up to hand their guns in...

Also I guess we all gotta hand ours in, as none of mine are "registered"

This is pure nazi'ism and does absolutely nothing to help the problem. Again I highly doubt it's even worth the time, to set this thing up. I would be willing to be that Not 1 time have they had some hard-ass crack dealing Mo-fo show up and be like

"I don't like crime any more, here is my shit.." and drop like 10,000 worth of guns on the table..

What a fucking joke..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast