Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Retention holster for 1911 Compact 3.5"... SERPA?

I am looking for an inexpensive retention holster for my Citadel 1911 Compact with 3.5" barrel.

Will this shorter barrel pistol work in a Serpa holster? I was looking on their website and they only have a product listed for a 1911 gov. I don't want a thumb break holster but would like some decent retention for any time I might decide to OC.

Point me in the right direction!

(York County)

Default Re: Retention holster for 1911 Compact 3.5"... SERPA?

Retention holsters are a good idea and I like them better than thumb break holsters. Since most retention holsters capture at the trigger guard, barrel length isn't really a factor. I've carried officer and commander length 1911's in 2 different retention holsters and I liked them both. I've used both the Blackhawk Serpa II and the Fobus Roto360. I would combine their designs if I could. I like the finger release of the Serpa better than the Fobus, but I like the higher grade of adjustability the Roto360 has. I like to use the easy on/off a paddle holster offers, but since I prefer to carry cross draw, I can get a greater angle of tilt out of the Fobus. Again, the shorter barrel really doesn't matter with the design of these holsters unless you think they're to long. There were times I had thought about trimming the bottom off since they are constructed of polymer and the end could be filed and rounded easily, but I haven't done it yet.

(Lawrence County)

^What he said...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Montgomery County)

Hi have a Springfield Micro Compact that I carry in a SERPA exclusively. I bought a full size holster and simply cut it down to size. I have been using SERPAs for years and have been very happy.

(Blair County)

For retention I have a galco fx but I don't know if they make them for an officers size 1911. I carry a gov't size in a milt sparks summer special II all day every day, but it has no retention.

As long as you leave the thumb safety on until you actually clear your body the serpa is fine.

http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE

I have seen 3 live and in person NDs with folks using the serpa. They were not 1911's though and were of the plastic bunch. I don't like the idea of pushing a button toward the trigger. Every time the NDs that I saw happened was because they were trying to draw fast to engage a target and their trigger finger went into the trigger and bang. FWIW

(Northampton County)

As others have stated, you should be ok with a SERPA designed for a longer 1911. I have carried SERPAs privately and professionally for 7 years now have haven't had a single problem with them.

Every time the NDs that I saw happened was because they were trying to draw fast to engage a target and their trigger finger went into the trigger and bang.
    Sounds like operator error to me...

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Sounds like operator error to me...
    All NDs are.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCF View Post
    All NDs are.
    I'm glad we agree