Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Limited Edition and Commemorative Rifles

I never was into the limited edition commemorative Rifles but I know I lot of guys that are. I own a pretty decent collection of guns that I like to shoot. I recently purchased a Centennial Arms Marlin 45-70 "Marcellus Shale Edition" and they only made 100 of them. The only reason I bought was that I am in the Industry I thought it was pretty cool. I will end up never shooting it and maybe put it in a nice display case in my home office. My question is do these things ever increase in value or do guys just like to pay over twice as much as the base rifle with some laser engraving on it? Here it is by the way http://www.centennialclassicarms.com...-marcellus.htm

Default Re: Limited Edition and Commemorative Rifles

Not really. There's no real market for them. 99% of these modern commeratives and so-called 'collectors editions' are put away , so there's no attrition to make the guns more rare. Many times , these gaudy things actually sell for less than a standard model.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Ironically enough, I LOVE .45-70 Marlins, am wearing an NOV Coring hat and recently acquired a "Mighty Marcellus" bumper sticker to piss people off, but I think that rifle is hideous!
    Jules

(Franklin County)

$1595.00? What a steal!! Right out of your pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Indiana County)

Very very few, if any at all so called commemorative guns actually increase in value.

A few exceptions are a few of the Winchester ones from the 70's.
    Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind.
    But these were Winchesters and even so, many of them are clunkers and failed to ever be worth any more than a regular rifle of the same model and caliber.
    That's not to say people don't think they are worth more, I see people asking big bucks for these all the time, but they never seem to sell.

I highly doubt your Marlin will ever be worth more than it is now since I cannot see a market for it.
    Other than people that have disposable income and that work in the industry, who would want one?
    Not me, that's for sure.

It's your money and I'm not going to get on you for how you spent it, but IMO, you won't hurt the value any by shooting that gun and for that kind of money I sure wouldn't let it hang on the wall.

(Westmoreland County)

The problem is that the value only goes up if one or more of the following happens...
    -Rifle becomes banned
    -Company goes out of business
    -Version becomes uncommon/rare AND sought after
    -Other reasons I can't readily think of.

Leve actions will likely never becomes restricted weapons.
    Marlin is in no danger of going out of business
    -the issue with the rare/uncommon is that no one is seeking most "collectors editions" out. I mean, who is going to pay above sticker for a run of the mill Marlin with engraving?.... Not just marlins but Colts, Rugers, etc. They have all run that market into the ground. Hell, look at "Collectors editions" of movies and video games... Very few are worth anything. The ones that ARE worth money were all made before "editions" were a thing.

That plus who wants to pay $1600+ for a modern production when I can find 1950's productions for $600 and under. Those actually have some history and age to them.

Firearm speculation is a TOUGH business... And unfortunately knowing which gimmick will be worth cash later (especially those worth the time/money) is even tougher.
    This space for rent.... to Conservatives.

(Erie County)

I have two NRA special issue guns. one I won at a raffle and the other I got at an auction for less than retail.

I don't consider them to be of any special value.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post

Firearm speculation is a TOUGH business... And unfortunately knowing which gimmick will be worth cash later (especially those worth the time/money) is even tougher.
    ^^^
    This in spades.

Some things I used to be able to buy and their prices:
    Russian SKS, $79
    Norinco SKS, $69
    30 Carbines, $169-$199
    Garands, $249-$499
    Daewoo rifles, $299
    Russian Capture Lugers, $299
    Calico .22's, $149
    Gear logo FAL's, $450
    Winchester 9422 XTR, $150
    Dan Wesson .445 Supermag, $499
    cases of 7.62X39, $89-$99
    loose packed surplus 30 carbine ammo, 500 rnds for $40

All of the above I have owned in the past and to the best of my recollection those are the prices I paid (without looking up them in my buying/selling book).
    If only I had kept them huh?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Not really. There's no real market for them. 99% of these modern commeratives and so-called 'collectors editions' are put away , so there's no attrition to make the guns more rare. Many times , these gaudy things actually sell for less than a standard model.
    It looks beautiful, enjoy it!

Unfortunately, the post above says a lot about the limited edition rifles. I have seen the last sentence true many times over, from the lower end up to the upper end (NFA) limited editions.(commemorative Thompson MG)

Over the years, I won a couple of NWTF rifles that were limited edition, engraved and gold inlay, and when I tried to sell one it was tough. Some did not want to pay more than the regular version and some walked away because it was too nice to take out and shoot. I still have one, a Jakes gun of the year, it's scoped and sits in the original box in the safe!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
    I never was into the limited edition commemorative Rifles but I know I lot of guys that are. I own a pretty decent collection of guns that I like to shoot. I recently purchased a Centennial Arms Marlin 45-70 "Marcellus Shale Edition" and they only made 100 of them. The only reason I bought was that I am in the Industry I thought it was pretty cool. I will end up never shooting it and maybe put it in a nice display case in my home office. My question is do these things ever increase in value or do guys just like to pay over twice as much as the base rifle with some laser engraving on it? Here it is by the way http://www.centennialclassicarms.com...-marcellus.htm
    there's a sucker born every minute. the minute you bought this, you were the chosen one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast