Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to TN

(Crawford County)

Question Traveling to TN

Hello All,

Planning to drive to TN to visit my sister next month. I am planning to travel by way of WV, VA, KY, and then into TN...with some time in GA. I have kinda got a feel for these states LTCF laws by doing some google-ing. Just wondering if anyone can shed some more insight on these laws. I am specifically wondering about loaded carry in my car through these states. In addition, where is off limits in TN and GA? (I am really confused about the gov't owned property law in TN). Also...is carrying in church in GA legal (will be attending while there).

Thanks guys (and gals) for all your help!

Micah
    Male RN

Default Re: Traveling to TN

Go to www.handgunlaw.us for concise summaries of different state's laws. There are links for more in depth reading at the various state websites as well. I travel through most of the states you mentioned on a fairly regular basis, and some of the laws are quirky. TN can be especially so. While they have statewide preemption, there are certain municipalities which are grandfathered in with their own laws. I do not know if that has changed in recent years.

(Crawford County)

From waht I've been reading, TN has the most confusing laws. Chattanooga has enacted laws against carry on all their public owned stuff. I think it might be easiest to carry to the sisters and leave it in the car or house...it's ridiculous. My biggest thing is carrying on the trip down and when on the shady side of town.

Only other state I'm not real sure on is VA...am I able to conceal carry in a vehicle?
    Male RN

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    From waht I've been reading, TN has the most confusing laws. Chattanooga has enacted laws against carry on all their public owned stuff. I think it might be easiest to carry to the sisters and leave it in the car or house...it's ridiculous. My biggest thing is carrying on the trip down and when on the shady side of town.

Only other state I'm not real sure on is VA...am I able to conceal carry in a vehicle?
    If you have a valid LTCF from PA or other license recognized by VA, then yes. But as I already mentioned, read the laws carefully, and do not depend on what some guy on the web tells you. If you are not all squared away, it won't be my butt in jail.

(Delaware County)

Are you going to be traveling through MD on your way down?

It's those few miles of I-81 that keep me from carrying when I go home to Tennessee to visit the family. I just borrow one of my father's firearms when I'm there if I decide to carry then.

As for Tennessee's laws, they are indeed pretty weird. It's a shall-issue state that's damn expensive to get a license, and although they have preemption, cities get away with public property restrictions due to the loophole that states that anyone that's in charge of a building can make it off limits as long as they post proper signage.

As for carrying in parks with an out-of-state license, I'm not 100% percent sure on that. The exception seems to apply only to in-state permit holders.

Overall, you shouldn't have an issue. Just don't carry where there are signs saying don't carry.

Unfortunately, I'm sad to say that my home state has significantly more restrictive and confusing gun laws than Pennsylvania. It even has it's own little version of Philadelphia in Memphis (except Memphis is more dangerous and there are fewer reasons to actually go there, as opposed to Philadelphia, which does have a few redeeming features).

(Crawford County)

Thanks guys for all the help!

I am still in the process of researching and what-not. Like I said, I think I will probably carry on the way down and only as needed while I'm there. I think it's goign to be a huge headache to carry while out and about with "no gun" signs everywhere.
    Male RN

I'm late to the party but this may help next time.

Note: you can carry anywhere alcohol is served as long as you don't imbibe, and with your LTCF you may carry OC or CC. Also note: do NOT sterile carry as it is illegal to be armed in TN. Your LTCF (or our HCP) is a defense, meaning you MAY be challenged to produce it if demanded by a LEO (rare). You do not have to inform a LEO you are carrying.

State parks are legal to carry into UNLESS they are TVA or Army Corp of Engineer property also (e.g. Bledsoe Creek State Park). Be careful. Local parks may post against carry.

Cars are not considered property that you can carry loaded in unless you have a permit.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/fo...earms-law-faq/

One other interesting point: TN HCP'rs can car carry a longarm loaded, though not chambered.

(Bucks County)

When I was young and stupid - I drove right through D.C. on the way there with a truck full of loaded guns. By the time I got to W.V. all the road signs were shot up with holes. So my buddy and I did the only honorable thing a bunch of young bucks would do - rolled down the window and participated in the games. By the time we got to the end of the Blue Ridge Pkwy and stopped for food, opened the doors and spent shells just rolled out onto the parking lot. At the end of the Pkwy we ran into what looked like a truck stop - sign read "Guns - Beer - Firework". We were like - oh yeah!!!

W.V is a very special place - gorgeous country but the people are something else - the teenage girls working the fast food places - all had facial hair - and I'm not talking just a little.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

usacarry.com may also be a helpful site for the information you are lookling for.

If you are taking I-81, beware of the 11 miles of the highway that go through western Maryland!
    ...and they have a plan...

What part of TN will you be staying or traveling in? I live in the Tri-Cities area (Bristol) TN and VA do honor your PA LTCF. OC and CC are both legal in most of TN. (with HCP or LTCF)
    with the exception of a few cities (mostly western) and some local parks. I have found that the Leo's in this eastern part of the state are knowledgable of the firearm laws. I have both OCed and CCed in this area (including Bristol VA) without any problems at all. Most malls and all banks I have seen are posted. You are also allowed to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol in TN, but you are not allowed to drink. I have not had a single issue since moving here almost 3 years ago.
    With this said, IANAL and this has just been my experiance and understanding of TN law, please continue to do your research.
    Last edited by Driver400; August 31st, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast