Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Opinions on S&W 1911 E Series

Getting ready to buy a new S&W 1911 E series with a stainless steel frame and slide. I did a little research on them on YouTube, but only found a handful of reviews that weren't too helpful. Anyone here have one of these that can tell me the good points and bad points of this gun before I lay out the cash?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Opinions on S&W 1911 E Series

In my experience, it's fine for the price. That said, I don't like external extractors in a 1911.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

I recently picked up a new 1911TA E-Series and have about 900 rounds through it. One failure to lock open on empty, could have been my fault. I am more accurate with it than I am with my M&P9FS, probably due to the longer barrel and sights better suited to my old eyes.

It's done everything I could ask from it, and is my favorite pistol now by far. Happens to have an interesting serial number, too. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with other 1911s to give you a comparison.

I owned a S&W E series the basic model it is a fine mid level 1911 with feature and looks superior to somem full custom models. It is built really well and designed to shoot more accurate then most can. As in the picture of the gun above it is a real beauty with very nice features. It does break the traditional pattern with an external extractor but maintenance and replacemnet wise this could be considered a plus. If you are into classic design a minus maybe. I have 5 1911s the S&W E series is at the Top of my pack followed closely by my modified Series 70 Colt Commander, SR1911, Custom II Kimber and SAm semi Custom 1911.

I was looking for a used Wilson or Les Baer but I thought the E series looked better, now the E series won't shoot with these $2k-$3500 guns because they garantee 1" at 50 yards. I can't shoot that good anyway so that not a factor.
    Last edited by Neko456; July 6th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

I have found a few that DO NOT LIKE lead reloads,plated or jacketed are fine. As for not liking them i only mean they lead the barrel. If you are only interested in factory ammo mine eats it all. It also shoots better than most shooters. as for the external extractor a few, SIG being one of them are going that way, its been based on reliability/simplicity???
    COPS CARRY GUNS TO PROTECT THEMSELVES ...NOT YOU!!