Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How hard is it to replace the front hand guard on an AR?

I've been casually looking at ARs lately, not too seriously, but I might bite if I saw what I wanted. I'm not an AR expert by any means but I do know what I would like on one. I'd like 5.56, 1:7, flat top, no front or rear sights, and a railed hand guard. With the exception of the railed hand guard I've seen all my other criteria from several manufacturers in the $700-$800 range. I'm not too keen on my first AR being a build. I'd rather just buy for now, learn, and maybe build in the future. I've done some research and by the time I add up what I'd want I can't see building costing less than buying (with the hand guard being the unknown variable) anyway.

So my question is: Is it very difficult to replace the "regular" round hand guard on an AR with a railed one?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How hard is it to replace the front hand guard on an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    I've been casually looking at ARs lately, not too seriously, but I might bite if I saw what I wanted. I'm not an AR expert by any means but I do know what I would like on one. I'd like 5.56, 1:7, flat top, no front or rear sights, and a railed hand guard. With the exception of the railed hand guard I've seen all my other criteria from several manufacturers in the $700-$800 range. I'm not too keen on my first AR being a build. I'd rather just buy for now, learn, and maybe build in the future. I've done some research and by the time I add up what I'd want I can't see building costing less than buying (with the hand guard being the unknown variable) anyway.

So my question is: Is it very difficult to replace the "regular" round hand guard on an AR with a railed one?
    If all you want is rails. Its super easy. Just push down on the delta rigng, remove the hand guard and install the two piece rail section, then a couple of bolts. If you want true free float you will need some special tools or have an gunsmith do it.

There are some bolt on free float rails out there now. That may be a happy medium. Although they are pricier.

Consider weather you need rails. I though that I needed and was looking at monolithic uppers that have the rails cast out of the same piece of metal as the upper. I'm glad I did not spend the extra cash and got a standard Colt 6920. I realized that for my applications rails where more a tacticool visual toy vs a real useful application.

If you'r already looking in the $800 range consider expanding your budget to $1000. At that point you can get into what very many consider the baseline for a rifle that you can count on to save your life. The Colt 6920 can be had for this price.

Unless you just want a pinker then look at the M&P Sport at about $650
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 5th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

It depends on whether or not you use a "free float" tube, or one that clamps onto the barrel and is held in place by the delta ring like most from the factory hand guards.

EASY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xrcCIokNz8

NOT AS EASY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryr0wZ71Hg

Jules

There are two types or railed hand guards. Free floating and non free floating. The easiest one to replace in the non free floating. You pull down on the Delta ring remove the plastic guard. Put in the new rail and four screws. Its that simple and your done. I do not recommend installing a free float rail. Use a gun smith for that one!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Luzerne County)

either why you go, I would recommend the tool seen in the videos. You can do it without the tool but its not going to be easy and you'll need 3 or 4 hands to help.

(Cumberland County)

I am an idiot and it took me less than 10 minutes. Its not all hat difficult.

(Montgomery County)

Awesome info and videos! Thanks guys. Based on the difficulty level and what I'd want I'm sure the non-free float would be fine. I like the look of the railed guard more than the regular round ones but I also like having the option of adding accessories even if they came at a later time. Question what is the real difference between free float and non-free float? What's the benefit, why would it matter, etc?

I don't like the look of the monolithic uppers though, just personal preference.

I have thought about the colt 6920 but can I get a flat top one with no sights for $1000? Now that I know I can change the hand guard without too much trouble I can focus on my other criteria. I'm very intereted in no rear or front sights. I see plenty of flat tops with no rear sights but they have the fixed front sight. I don't think I'd be a fan of co-witness so I'd rather put flip up front and rear sights on and that way I could experiment with and without co-witness when I put an optic on.

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Awesome info and videos! Thanks guys. Based on the difficulty level and what I'd want I'm sure the non-free float would be fine. I like the look of the railed guard more than the regular round ones but I also like having the option of adding accessories even if they came at a later time. Question what is the real difference between free float and non-free float? What's the benefit, why would it matter, etc?

I don't like the look of the monolithic uppers though, just personal preference.

I have thought about the colt 6920 but can I get a flat top one with no sights for $1000? Now that I know I can change the hand guard without too much trouble I can focus on my other criteria. I'm very intereted in no rear or front sights. I see plenty of flat tops with no rear sights but they have the fixed front sight. I don't think I'd be a fan of co-witness so I'd rather put flip up front and rear sights on and that way I could experiment with and without co-witness when I put an optic on.
    The free float barrels have no pressure on the barrel. This increases accuracy to a degree. It is probably not to a degree that you would notice unless you are planning on shooting competition. I like your thinking with the flip up front and rear. One of my rifles is currently running a co-witness set up and although it is not bad now (meaning that while shooting with both eyes open at defensive distances out to 50 yards or so, I don't even notice the front sight) it took a while to get used to it being there. Have fun choosing a hand guard, there are only about fifteen million to choose from! LOL
    Jules

Oh, and while I may be called a Magpul Fanboy, I would highly recommend the Magpul MOE fore end. It has slots for little modular pieces of rail that you can install later as you get things like a weapon light etc.....

Handguard:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG418/122

Rail kit:

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/103

And while I am at it, I need to tell you that Magpul P-Mags are awesome!

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG241/2

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Oh, and while I may be called a Magpul Fanboy, I would highly recommend the Magpul MOE fore end. It has slots for little modular pieces of rail that you can install later as you get things like a weapon light etc.....

Handguard:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG418/122

Rail kit:

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/103

And while I am at it, I need to tell you that Magpul P-Mags are awesome!

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG241/2
    Yeah I think I saw the MOE on the SIG M400 enhanced maybe? According to your links it seems reasonably priced and would be a good option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast