Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Moved from Lancaster to Berks - What do I do?

I recently (about a month ago) moved from Lancaster County to Berks County. Can I just get my LTCF address changed, or do I need to go through the whole process again with the Berks County Sheriff's office? I'm a bit leary to carry at this point because my carry permit still has my Lancaster address and my license is now updated to reflect my current address. I'd hate to have to use my weapon and then be put in jail on a technicallity of my permit not being valid anymore.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Moved from Lancaster to Berks - What do I do?

What I was told when I moved to Berks many moons ago was that as long as your dl has the appropriate address, or you have the change of address card, you're good to go until the LTCF expires. Granted that was a while ago but Berks is very 2A friendly and I don't see any reason why that would have changed.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Snyder County)

You don't need to do a thing. I questioned the same thing when I moved, but the sheriff where I am living now told me I don't need to do anything. His exact response:

Mr. Zef:

There is nothing that needs to be done in regards to the address. That was your current address when the license was issued and the license is valid until it expires or is revoked by the issuing authority. There are no provisions in the statute requiring a change of address.

When your current license expires you will need to make application with our office.

Thank you.

Sheriff Reigle
    You can contact the sheriff in Lancaster county to inform them of the move. When your license is due to renew, the sheriff is required to send a reminder letter. Letting him know you moved can ensure it is sent to the correct location.

(Berks County)

I don't believe you have to do anything despite the change in address, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It's best to call the Sheriff's Office to confirm. Don't worry, Sheriff Weaknecht is VERY pro-gun; applications are processed in a timely fashion and information from the Firearms Unit in his office is typically accurate.

Welcome to Berks!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Thanks for the information! I bought my most recent firearm at Cabela's and through discussions with the salesman at the firearms counter, he told me that I'd "best get my permit changed to Berks County before I carry any more because if your LTCF doesn't have your current address, then it's the same as not having a permit at all." So that threw me for a loop, but logic tells me that a PA permit is a PA permit, different address or not. It might be issued in a different county, but it's to carry in any county in the state anyhow.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tbmatthews82 View Post
    Thanks for the information! I bought my most recent firearm at Cabela's and through discussions with the salesman at the firearms counter, he told me that I'd "best get my permit changed to Berks County before I carry any more because if your LTCF doesn't have your current address, then it's the same as not having a permit at all." So that threw me for a loop, but logic tells me that a PA permit is a PA permit, different address or not. It might be issued in a different county, but it's to carry in any county in the state anyhow.
    Nothing wrong with playing it safe until verification is received; that's the smart thing to do. I can understand how a statement like that would make you nervous, but be wary of the uninformed "experts" out there; they're everywhere from the gun counter to the police station. Make sure to research the law and as much as you can, so instead of being concerned you can call BS on the guys that think they know. Information is power, and we need to use it to every day to correct and counteract a myriad of misinformation out there.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Very true. I have a call into the Sheriff's office to get info on this. I don't mind paying the money to get a new permit, but I also don't want to do it if it isn't necessary.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

http://www.co.berks.pa.us/sheriff/cw...=1386&q=456956

.......It is imparitive that you keep your address current so that you may receive the renewal package. ........

(4) How do I change my address on my license to carry firearms?

You must come to the Berks County Sheriff's Office with a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Identification Card with your correct address. We will then change the address on your license to carry firearms and will report said change to the Pennsylvania State Police.

(5) Is there fee for changing my address on my license to carry firearms?

There is no fee to change your address on your license to carry firearms.
    Last edited by sjohn26; February 25th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    http://www.co.berks.pa.us/sheriff/cw...=1386&q=456956

.......It is imparitive that you keep your address current so that you may receive the renewal package. ........

(4) How do I change my address on my license to carry firearms?

You must come to the Berks County Sheriff's Office with a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Identification Card with your correct address. We will then change the address on your license to carry firearms and will report said change to the Pennsylvania State Police.

(5) Is there fee for changing my address on my license to carry firearms?

There is no fee to change your address on your license to carry firearms.
    Wow. And again we find different practices among different counties. The sheriff in my county said I didn't need to do a thing. Email is quoted word for word. And I haven't changed my address yet. And don't plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    Wow. And again we find different practices among different counties. The sheriff in my county said I didn't need to do a thing. Email is quoted word for word. And I haven't changed my address yet. And don't plan to.
    It is amazing. When we moved the Mckean county sheriff said it didn't matter.

I'd have to say the best policy is just to contact your new sheriff and see what he has to say, and then make a decision. Having your renewal info up to date was a good point.
    If Berks does it for free why not?

What we did was just keep our old DL with us to cross reference the permit and name, picture etc. until it was time to renew. It was just to be safe.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast