Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Beretta Tomcat and Kel-tec P32

I was in the local gun shop the other day, and my birthday is coming up... and I walked out with a new-to-me Beretta 3032 tomcat (blued) - nice little gun! I wanted something in the same caliber as my Keltec which is my normal EDC gun - slip it into a pocket (front or back) and forget about it until you need it. The tomcat does not disappear as well, and is a little heavier and bigger all around (especially in the grips) but I had been kicking around the idea of the tip up barrel for awhile and have decided that I like the concept.
    I took both out into the back forty for some informal plinking (paper plates at 10 full paces) I like both guns!! they each have their distinct advantages, but I have to say I outshot the Beretta with the Keltec! While both guns put all of their rounds into the plates, I could cover the spread of the Keltec with the gun! and it is a tiny gun! - By the way, the laser on the keltec was not working due to worn out batteries, so I was using the iron sights for both.
    Nice guns, and a happy 4th of july!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Beretta Tomcat and Kel-tec P32

I have a Tomcat, and have not been overly impressed with it. Mine had some reliability issues. Instead I've switched to an NAA Guardian .32. While the Guardian is chunkier than either the Keltec (I had a Keltec P3AT) and heavier than the Tomcat, it functions flawlessly for me, the extra weight absorbs recoil better, and the incredibly easy field stripping makes it really easy to maintain. Accuracy is good. My attitude is to practice with my EDC as much as with any range gun that I own, and with the ammo that I carry.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Good review I am shocked that the Kel Tec P32 out shoot the 3032 Tomcat. Both are Big mouse guns used mostly to point and shoot at close range. In any event the results were informative I have Big Berettas guns and a Kel tec P11, I've been impressed by both for the purpose they are designed.
    Good short review.

(Dauphin County)

I had a Tomcat in the nightstand for a couple of years, then after getting my LCTF I tried carrying it. I wanted to use Corbon ammo to try to kick the .32 up a notch but the blowback design of the Beretta supposedly can't take the extra power. I sold it to my FFL as partial payment towards a S&W Bodyguard 380, about the same dimensionally except way thinner and a better punch than the .32. Lately I've been carrying a J-frame. The Keltec has a good rep and a dedicated following (check out the KTOG forum). The Beretta was okay but i think you can get a lot more gun for the money, size, and weight.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Lebanon County)

I had the Tomcat until the frame cracked. I now have the P32 and have no regrets buying it. Make sure you check yours over for the crack. There are pics all over and even on Youtube. My Tomcat still worked with the crack. I liked the gun but the new one is really wide with the thicker slide which is intended to prevent cracking the frame.
    I got a good deal on a Bobcat 21A 22LR a few months ago and it shoots well. I am not sure why I bought it as it will never be a carry gun for me. Really it is not a good design for self defense as there is not an external extractor. In the event of a misfire you have to manually pull out the cartridge with your fingernail or pocketknife.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Lancaster County)

we got a beretta tomcat(i think?) in 22.
    that thing has crazy feed issues. got it new.
    Gott mit uns

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    we got a beretta tomcat(i think?) in 22.
    that thing has crazy feed issues. got it new.

Yours would be the Bobcat which also comes in 25 ACP in addition to 22lr.
    The 22's are very ammo and dirt sensitive. Keep trying different brands until you find one that works.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Cumberland County)

I bought a Tomcat a few months back just for fun and occasional carry. I like it overall - but like you said, a bit clunky. I find the trigger a little "odd" too - hard to describe, I have to place finger just right in order to feel right. I guess my only real negative is the clunkiness. I am not a Kel-Tec fan so none of those in the collection!

(Monroe County)

I must be the Luckiest guy in the world where guns are concerned, i have a Bobcat in Inox and a Tomcat in Inox and both are exceptional firearms, never a problem from day one with any of them , the Bobcat in particular is exceptionally accurate, Beretta suggest that you feed it Hot ammo as oppsed to the Tomcat where the early ones broke the slides.

I would have no problem carrying either one as a BUG, for EDC i like to carry a fullsize Pistol or Revolver.

(Lancaster County)

My kel-tec with armalaser is my normal EDC, just so I always obey rule #1 in a gunfight (or any fight for that matter!) Bring a gun. I also carry a S&W 638 bodyguard airweight instead a good portion of the time - I like the way the airweight feels and shoots for me, plus the increased power of the .38 special.
    If I really think things are going to get hairy, I have a Glock 26 which I like and shoot well, but is very heavy, - I'll take that or better yet, stay home if I can.
    I was pleased with the tomcat, but really impressed with the kel-tec for something so small and light with such a long trigger pull (the take up is similar to the Glock and S&W though, maybe, with a a long easy pull until it stacks?)
    I really wanted the tip up barrel loading for my elderly mom and slender daughter - that was my main reason to buy that model.

Cb