Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default M4 Style AR-15 Advice Wanted

I've been reading posts all over the web and on here. I am think that I would like to have a M4 style AR to round out the safe. I already have a 20" full stock HBAR, and my thoughts were to set that up for longer range shooting with some nice optics and use the shorter carbine to play with red dots or holographic sights.

That said, I've been reading threads all over about building and buying. I was almost convinced to build but everyone who sells quality kits is sold out until well beyond the election. I also didn't feel that the prices were that much better, at least for what I am interested in.

Coming full circle I am finding the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport 15 to fit my needs, the price is great, and everything I've read it sounds like a good gun for the money. I think all I plan to add would be a Magpul forend and a tactical sling to get running and I would be all set.

Are there better options at the price point I am missing? Is there any benifit for waiting out the crazy back orders on building my own? I am afraid prices are going to keep going up and I'm going to end up loosing more than I gain building a rifle. Thoughts?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: M4 Style AR-15 Advice Wanted

It sounds like the S&W is just what you are looking for. I would normally agree on building your own in order to have it set up exactly how you want it and to get a good price on a Mil spec. rifle.

If you are just using it for fun at the range and not for defensive purposes then the little differences will probably never be noticed and the S&W is already set up how you want it.

(Blair County)

Well, I went with an 18 inch in my build, but what the only thing I had to say really is I went from an eotech to a 1x4 scope, I dont shoot any better at 100 yards with it.
    Im sure Ill appreciate the change out further but I rarely get to try.
    Also if you wanted to build you could order most any part today from aim surplus, midway, and brownells. They only part I had a hard time getting was the stock I wanted, Alphaops.com has some in stock that noone else did, but they were slightly higher priced, Shipping was only 5$ though.
    Forgive my grammar still have sleepers in my eyes.

(Lancaster County)

SP6920.

Done.
    Johnnie F.

I won't argue against the S&W, but Palmetto State Armory has M4 kits and lowers in stock at the moment.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    I won't argue against the S&W, but Palmetto State Armory has M4 kits and lowers in stock at the moment.
    I looked at thse this past week, looks like 630 for the kit and 90 for the lower, bus for 50 and a Pmag for 20. Wash the shipping and others and it looks like I come out at 890+

Hoping to do better than that on the sport.

The colt above runs $1000+, love to, it the colt AR I already have was too much back when I got it. I know there are shooters that are just as good for less $.

Thanks

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Try5077 View Post
    I looked at thse this past week, looks like 630 for the kit and 90 for the lower,

You're looking at a complete upper (no assembly), and the parts kit for the lower (assembly required).

The lower is an easy assembly project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Might want to consider Del-Ton, out of North Carolina. Good, well-built ARs at a reasonable price. That said, ARs are rapidly approaching the defensive pistol level of production- folks who build crap rifles tend to go out of business and/or discontinue the model fairly quickly.

Whatever you get, Enjoy!
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Try5077 View Post
    I looked at thse this past week, looks like 630 for the kit and 90 for the lower, bus for 50 and a Pmag for 20. Wash the shipping and others and it looks like I come out at 890+

Hoping to do better than that on the sport.

The colt above runs $1000+, love to, it the colt AR I already have was too much back when I got it. I know there are shooters that are just as good for less $.

Thanks
    Define just as good.

A Del-Ton or Olympic can easily be a "shooter" if that means taking it to the range and banging away on occasion.

A carbine that is something to count on in a life or death situation is something else entirely. Also if you intend to shoot more than 1k rounds in a weekend reliably and repeatably, price is not the ideal metric to be used.

Mission drives the gear bro.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOilGeek View Post
    Define just as good.

A Del-Ton or Olympic can easily be a "shooter" if that means taking it to the range and banging away on occasion.

A carbine that is something to count on in a life or death situation is something else entirely. Also if you intend to shoot more than 1k rounds in a weekend reliably and repeatably, price is not the ideal metric to be used.

Mission drives the gear bro.
    Ok, I'm all ears. First though, I expect that any firearm I purchase should be something I can count on in a life or death situation. However, unless we are talking SHTF I am not planning for too many 10,000 round weekends. I don't really have the inclination to piece together a rifle to save $25. My take on a lot of the bargain builds is that they are just that.

So, to adjust to the thoughts of several of the recent posters, I want the best M4 value out there on the market in the sub $1000 range, preferring closer to $800 but willing to look a little above. More suggestions?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast