Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Hornady lock-n-load or Dillon 650????

Witch one? I've been loading for the passed 13 years with a RCBS rock chucker and while good and accurate it's to slow for the volume of shooting i'm doing. I've been comparing the two and to be honest with all the options available for them I'm a little confused? I load for 14 different calibers but want the progressive primary for .223, .308 and .45acp. I like the auto case feeding feature. What all do I need to get up and running? Best bang for the buck? The lock-n-load is a hundred bucks cheaper right off the bat and you get 1000 free bullets with the purchase that alone has got me leaning toward the Hornady. Any thoughts?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Hornady lock-n-load or Dillon 650????

K31,

I can't speak for the Dillon line of equipment, but I do own a Hornady LNL-AP with case feeder. I have used it for .45 ACP, .357, .45 LC, and .223 all with great success.

I do however caution that if you choose the Hornady that you read the manual first, for some reason they place warnings about potential damage to the press during the assembly on the last pages of the section that you are working on.

I also purchased an additional die called a "Powder Cop", that gives a visible high/low indication in the case.
    I would prefer to use the Dillon high/low powder case checker as it has an audible alarm. But I can't find any documentation as to whether or not the Dillon dies are standard.

Another nice addition to the Hornady powder charger would be to purchase the powder charger emptying attachment allowing fast and easy emptying of the hopper without removing it from the press.
    Jack

(Centre County)

JMO, you wouldn't go wrong with either one. The 1000 free bullets is icing on the cake. I own Dillon but bought it well before the LNL came out. The Dillon "No BS" warranty is just that. I have damaged/broken parts by my own carelessness (or the moving co. did it) and when calling Dillon the never accepted any money even though I told them it was my fault and would pay. The parts were always mailed out the next day.

Again, I don't think you would go wrong with either.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the advice. So far this is what I got. Anything I'm missing?

Lock-N-Load press
    2 shell plates #1 #16
    Auto shell feeder
    Case feeder plates- small & large rifle
    Powder measure drain.
    Powder Cop die.

How many 223 rounds can you crank out an hour?

(Lycoming County)

It sounds like you have it fairly well planned.

I went a little overboard and bought additional die sets as to have a set adjusted for my RCBS single stage, and a set for the LNL AP.

With .223 I average about 60 to 80 rounds an hour. On the single stage I would load about 50 in 3 hours, that included scaling every charge. Reloading time based on press time only, and not counting case prep. I prefer to move slowly and produce safe, consistent loads, rather then loads that just go bang.
    I have the most difficulty getting the powder charger to throw identical charges.
    Jack

I can't find the link, but there is a comparisson done between the costs and what not between the Hornady and Dillon presses. It shows how the Hornady is a better value.

Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and will be able to post it.

(Delaware County)

How do you go about lubing cases with the LNL? I usually tumble my cases after sizing them so there not all sticky. What do you have to do, wipe all the finished ammo down after your done loading?

(Lycoming County)

I've never seen a price comparison between the Dillon and the Hornady, but with the % off I received from Midway and the free bullets, it made an awful attractive deal.

With rifle loads once complete I wipe them. I haven't tried any of the dry spray on lubes yet. Still using the heavy grease stuff.

I mostly use my LNL for handgun loads, .45 ACP being the major use for the press at this time.
    Jack

(Montgomery County)

If you dont mind me asking 0 what was final price of equipment from Midway? Was this some special deal or their usual prices?

i ordered a lock n load AP the other day, got it yesterday and it seems awesome. Hopefully my shell plates will be here in a few hours so i can start to crank some out.

But the 1000free rounds from hornady is what sold me on the hornady.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast