Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Dealing with groundhogs and possums in Norristown

Fellow Norristowners,

I'm in Norristown and have been a resident for 5 years. It's only become a true issue in the past month that there are a lot of pests in both my yard and my mothers yard. She had a groundhog actually advance on her (not just stand his ground) a few weeks ago.

Now, I'm well versed in the borough code on Firearms, which says that:
    [Adopted 4-6-1982 as Ch. 109 of the 1981 Code]
    § 155-1
    Discharge prohibited.
    It shall be unlawful for any person within the Borough limits to propel, fire or discharge any rifle, air gun, pistol, spring gun, bow and arrow, shotgun or any implement which impels or propels with force a pellet or projectile of any kind.
    Now, there is one exception to this ruling:
    § 155-3
    Exceptions.
    The Borough Council, by resolution, may from time to time authorize persons, at specific times and places and for specific purposes, to use firearms in the Borough of Norristown.
    Does anybody have experience requesting the borough council to give permission to discharge an air rifle to dispatch possums and groundhogs? I spoke to a police officer earlier today on the street and he said "You'd probably be fine with an air rifle", but I don't want to take the risk of having the SWAT team kick in my door because a neighbor saw me with a crossman picking off a groundhog.

I have a feeling that even asking may bring negative attention, so I'm looking for any advice on how to handle them. On the topic of trapping them, the last time we did that we caught a skunk.

I'm also looking for a way to handle this without paying for an exterminator to deal with them.

Default Re: Dealing with groundhogs and possums in Norristown

Asking permission from the council is probably just a waste of your time. I personally would not go on an LEO's advice that "you'd probably be fine with an air rifle", as well as the fact that you need a perfect shot for an air rifle to be effective. I think trapping is your best bet. Sure you will catch some other pests as well, but you don't have to worry about legal issues.

You could also look into poisons, but I am not sure if those are also regulated in the borough; my grandpa mentioned some sort of poison peanuts, don't remember the brand. Rat poison may also do the trick in the right amount.

If getting a dog is a feasible option that is another option. Neighbors on both sides of me have groundhog issues but the groundhogs avoid my yard like the plague, my chocolate lab would love to have the chance to chase them.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post
    Asking permission from the council is probably just a waste of your time. I personally would not go on an LEO's advice that "you'd probably be fine with an air rifle", as well as the fact that you need a perfect shot for an air rifle to be effective. I think trapping is your best bet. Sure you will catch some other pests as well, but you don't have to worry about legal issues.

You could also look into poisons, but I am not sure if those are also regulated in the borough; my grandpa mentioned some sort of poison peanuts, don't remember the brand. Rat poison may also do the trick in the right amount.

If getting a dog is a feasible option that is another option. Neighbors on both sides of me have groundhog issues but the groundhogs avoid my yard like the plague, my chocolate lab would love to have the chance to chase them.
    Thank you for the advice.

I absolutely would not take their advice to use an air rifle. I don't want any unnecessary police attention.

Trapping and poisons may be an option, I'll explore that. A dog won't be since the yard isn't fenced in. The main concern about the groundhog at my mothers is that they are known to stand their ground and grit their teeth, but not advance on you. It actually advanced on her, so I'm concerned it may be rabid.

I'm going to advise her to keep a bat or shovel nearby when she's working outside, and that little bugger better hope I'm not over at her house helping her in the yard when it comes out looking for a fight.

(Washington County)

This, if you know where the holes are.

I would think the likelyhood of catching a cat or dog by mistake would be minimal since there isn't any bait.

I know you don't want to catch a skunk, but a box trap would probably be most effective.

I like to shoot first, trap second too so hopefully you get a trustworthy answer to the air gun question.
    Last edited by Shodan; July 3rd, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Monroe County)

Trapping is your best option. But I much more prefer a crossbow for closer shots. A VMax .223 at anything closer than 30 yards leaves a bit of a mess.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    Trapping is your best option. But I much more prefer a crossbow for closer shots. A VMax .223 at anything closer than 30 yards leaves a bit of a mess.
    A trap is definitely your best bet. You would probably have trouble getting permission from our council to discharge a water gun.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Bucks County)

A suppressed .22.

(Allegheny County)

they always have a primary and a secondary hole. when you know they are in the hole shovel the secondary hole shut. Get a smoke bomb they sell at agway for this you light it throw it in the hole and seal up the primary hole. Ive tried the crossman route with gammo pellets and great shots havent killed them. Just be carefull with all the dry weather not to catch dry grass on fire when throwing in the hole, i can speak from experience on that. good luck

(Montgomery County)

I use a have a hart trap. after I catch them i fill up a trash can with water and drown those rotten rodents! BTW I'm in Plymouth Meeting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast