Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Never thought I'll be using Bengay...

So, I've been shooting my pistols the past couple of days.... Since it's gonna be my bday this week, and I've been reloading already, I figured, WTH, I'll shoot more just this time. Now my right arm is kinda swollen, and muscles a bit stiff from shooting hundreds of rounds. (I stopped counting. I know I used boxes and boxes of ammo).

I'm allergic to ibuprofen, so can't use it. Ice packs and Bengay are what I used right now. Any other suggestions to keep swelling down?

While my weekend has been great... The result now sucks.. coz, I'm off for a whole week. I was planning on hitting the range 1-2 hours everyday.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Never thought I'll be using Bengay...

Are you allergic to aspirin as well? If not, it's the best anti-inflammatory out there. Don't get the old Bayer tabs, but get "enteric coated" 325mg tabs. Take with some nice starchy food, and or, pop a Pepcid AC or two every day while you're on it.

Failing that, Tylenol also works, though not as well. Drinking for your birthday and Tylenol don't mix.

Topically, use cold. No more than 20 minutes of cold ice-packs (as opposed to warm ice-packs) every couple of hours on the affected areas. Heat makes swelling worse. Cold makes it go down.

Stretching is good, too.

Hang in there.

And buy a .22

The above post is dead-on. I'd like to add "Aleve" as well. Heat-pads work for some, but not for me....

(Lehigh County)

Unfortunately, yes, I'm allergic to Aspirin... among other things.
    Tylenol, I'm okay with.

I do have .22 pistols... which i also shot. I finished 2 bricks of Federal 550pack(Man, the SR22 is sweet!). And then there's also my reloads..

Looks like Tylenol and icepacks it is.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes, I'm allergic to Aspirin... among other things.
    Tylenol, I'm okay with.

I do have .22 pistols... which i also shot. I finished 2 bricks of Federal 550pack(Man, the SR22 is sweet!). And then there's also my reloads..

Looks like Tylenol and icepacks it is.

Thanks guys.
    No Aleve? When I was younger, Aleve didn't work for me. Now, it works just as well as ibuprofen for swelling and pain relief. Also last much longer.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    No Aleve? When I was younger, Aleve didn't work for me. Now, it works just as well as ibuprofen for swelling and pain relief. Also last much longer.
    I have not tried Aleve before. My allergy is quite severe (anaphylactic shock). Since I don't want to be the hospital for my bday, or rather, I'd like to have more bdays... I'd rather not risk it. I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

(York County)

Happy Birthday and good luck, old timer. Once you get the swelling under control, you may want to invest in a good wrist or elbow brace ( or both ). I have tendonitis as well as arthritis, and find that using a good wrist brace helps after shooting ( especially if I was shooting anything with significant recoil- I even keep it on and shoot with it).

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    I have not tried Aleve before. My allergy is quite severe (anaphylactic shock). Since I don't want to be the hospital for my bday, or rather, I'd like to have more bdays... I'd rather not risk it. I will call my doctor tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Aleve is is Naproxen. If you're allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen, then you are probably allergic to naproxen since it's in the same NSAID family. Check with your doctor before trying it.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Happy Birthday and good luck, old timer. Once you get the swelling under control, you may want to invest in a good wrist or elbow brace ( or both ). I have tendonitis as well as arthritis, and find that using a good wrist brace helps after shooting ( especially if I was shooting anything with significant recoil- I even keep it on and shoot with it).
    Haha! Tell me about it... When I was in my 20s, I ignore and shake-off almost everything. Now, age and all the abuse are catching up.. although I'm not that old. just in the 40s. Thanks, I will look into wrist brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Aleve is is Naproxen. If you're allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen, then you are probably allergic to naproxen since it's in the same NSAID family. Check with your doctor before trying it.
    Wow! Good thing I didn't try it. I learned something new today. Thanks.

(Wyoming County)

DO NOT scratch your balls immediately after applying Ben Gay...thoroughly wash hands first

Happy B day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast