Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default How to break in a shotgun?

Hi everyone.

This may be a stupid question but how would you guys suggest that one "break in" a shotgun?

Any particular loads that are best for this? A specific number of rounds?

Any information in this regard would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How to break in a shotgun?

huh? I've heard of break-in time for 1911's , and break-in time for other handguns for getting the trigger to smooth out, but this is a first I've EVER heard the term applying to shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    huh? I've heard of break-in time for 1911's , and break-in time for other handguns for getting the trigger to smooth out, but this is a first I've EVER heard the term applying to shotguns.
    ^^^ This. That being said, it is important that you get FAMILIAR with your weapon. Try different load. See how they pattern. Different shotguns like different loads.

(Delaware County)

Shoot it.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    He never specifys type. If its a semi auto, a break in period may well be needed. In the case of a saiga12, I nelieve your supposed to use heavily loads, such as slugs or 00 buck. Id start there. If its a pump, just any old loads work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Luzerne County)

So what type is it? Pump? Semi-Auto? Break-action?
    Pumps and autos may have some machining irregularities that contribute to erratic performance (failure to feed/fire/eject). These could be cleared up with 50 rounds or so of some stiff hunting loads. On the other hand, Break-actions (Over/Unders, Side by Sides, Single-shots) may be stiff to open/close early in their life. I've had to put up to 300 rounds through them for the action to loosen up sufficiently.
    In all cases, the gun should be stripped down, including stock removal, and given a thorough cleaning when you first get it home. Some manufacturers are less than diligent when it comes to removing machining debris, and others just LOVE to pack in the rust-preventive goop.

(Cumberland County)

I've never "broken-in" any guns I've ever owned. I've always just went out and shot them.

The very first rounds I fed my M&P45 were 230gr+P HST's. It ran 100%. I only test (defensive) guns for reliability and function before I trust them. But I don't consider that a break-in.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Shoot it.

Like SB said.

Shoot it.

Clean it.

Repeat...

Mike

(Jefferson County)

Shotgun barrels don't need "broken in", but some actions tend to work better once broken-in. ...that is accomplished by shooting them or cycling them manually.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Sometimes on a semi auto its good to put a few rounds through them...mine WOULD NOT reliably cycle low brass...and that wasnt a good thing as I actually bought it for trap/skeet/clays.... So I went out and ran a bunch of left over older high brass goose hunting loads through it(lead ones you really cant use anymore so they made good fodder...) after a box and a half of those..i tried the low brass again and they cycled almost perfect id say 98% success rate..on any other shotgun there is no break-in...well IMO...sometimes I run the action on a pump a bunch to try to get it to loosen up and or smooth out but no shooting required there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast