Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1 shotgun, 3 barrels...

ok, i am running into storage options as some of you have read in the pistol forum...

right now i have the firearms listed below in my signature, and am waiting on two AR lowesr to start a pistol and carbine build. this will put me WAY past my already limited storage space. i can NOT get a safe due to my lease agreement at my appartments (just found that part out.)

right now i am using the toy box my mom made me 24 years ago to store my extra parts, part boxes and barrels. my 10/22 is also in there along with anything else that has to do with shooting.

i keep the mossberg and the raging bull in the bedroom. i keep the berettas in the living room in the little desk my keys and walet go on top up. this way they are on my way in or out of the house as i CC them both.

so... i supposedly have a rifle rack on the way some day from my uncle. he is making it. but i have been told this about my humidor for about 3 years now as well.

what do i do? how should i store the 2 and soon to be 3 mossberg barrels? flat? leaning in a corner? hanging?

i am going to look into purchasing an armoir i think... might be my best bet.
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

(Bedford County)

Default Re: 1 shotgun, 3 barrels...

It wont hurt your barrels to stack them in a corner or store them flat as long as they dont get beat up or knocked over. For long term storage ( a few weeks without use) I would wipe them down with a lube that stays put. I like the heavier silicone clothes like the WALLYS cloth. It puts on a thick almost slimy coating that resists rust. I wouldn't use these if I used the spare barrels often....I would just go with a light gun oil.

BTW - I have also used Mobil One synthetic motor oil for loger term storage. Light weight oil on the cloth, then wipe the metal down. Stays put!

thats a good point. i never thought about corrosion issues. i do need to sit down and tear all of my firearms down and give them a good cleaning...

even more so for the barrels i will probaly NEVER use. i only use the one barrel to shoot now that i have my 18 inch barrel for home protection. my slug barrel just sits there now... lol
    This Space For Rent

(Westmoreland County)

I don't understand the "no gun safe" issue on your lease. Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of a heavy duty gun safe. Perhaps the floors are not built to handle a 1,000 pound safe.

If that is the case, pick up a Stack-On metal gun locker. For $150, you can have plenty of room for all your guns. Throw a golden rod in there and your guns will be less likely to corrode. Plus, they will be secured from unauthorized personnel. Sure, they are not incredibly secured, but certainly more secured than a toy box.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    "no gun safe" issue on your lease. Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of a heavy duty gun safe. Perhaps the floors are not built to handle a 1,000 pound safe.
    BINGO!! i have a fish tank and they freaked out. i had to do the math with them to show them it doesnt weigh more than 500lbs.

i dont want to drop the coin on a smaller safe, have it moved in ($) then have it moved out (More $) to sell it for a loss.

where i live isnt a bad area. people dont mess with me or my things as my neighbors keep an eye out for me. people have been caught looking at my truck and one of the neighbors who is ALWAYS home scares them off. mentions something about me being a crazy ass... from what i hear it works.

anyway, i found a soloution i THINK. i just have to get it home now. doing that will be the tough part, as i have a desk in the back of my truck for the next couple days.

Grant
    This Space For Rent

(Adams County)

Old military footlockers can be bought from surplus shops. They slide right under the bed, or stack on a closet floor nicely. They can be locked as well.....not a great security, but would keep curious little ones at bay....
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    but would keep curious little ones at bay....
    hmm, that reminds me... i have one of them in my storage unit...

little ones im not worried about. i do NOT let kids in my house. i dislike them that much. the biggerst issue i am having is simple. im screwed... lol

i was thinking about it all day today. if someone is able to get into my electronicaly locked door... then a pad lock isnt going to stop them...

i decided today that i will just use what i have until i move. i dont really have much of a choice. the toy box looks like normal furniture. i MIGHT make a lock system for it but i doubt it...

thanks for the help guys.
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

(Philadelphia County)

You are lending your firearms to the Maintenance men!!!
    I have been installing HVAC exqipment in apt complexes for 15 years, And your guns are only as safe as the maintenance mans friends,friends, friend is, Word gets around fast! Most of the time when I am missing materials, It was employees where I was setting up shop!
    Also
    Person easy can be 200 lb sq ft,
    gunsafe. Lets say 1000 lbs
    are about 9 sq ft,= wat less that 200 lb sq ft
    Get yourelf a Stack on cabinet from Dicks for a few bucks, They are cheap, Stick it in a closet and NOT worry about your lease, Noone will know,
    Guns are like candy and youre trusting alot of kids.
    My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    I don't understand the "no gun safe" issue on your lease. Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of a heavy duty gun safe. Perhaps the floors are not built to handle a 1,000 pound safe.

If that is the case, pick up a Stack-On metal gun locker. For $150, you can have plenty of room for all your guns. Throw a golden rod in there and your guns will be less likely to corrode. Plus, they will be secured from unauthorized personnel. Sure, they are not incredibly secured, but certainly more secured than a toy box.
    I have one of these and can take pictures if you're interested.

Got mine on sale at dunhams for $79

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    You are lending your firearms to the Maintenance men!!!
    I have been installing HVAC exqipment in apt complexes for 15 years, And your guns are only as safe as the maintenance mans friends,friends, friend is, Word gets around fast! Most of the time when I am missing materials, It was employees where I was setting up shop!
    Also
    Person easy can be 200 lb sq ft,
    gunsafe. Lets say 1000 lbs
    are about 9 sq ft,= wat less that 200 lb sq ft
    Get yourelf a Stack on cabinet from Dicks for a few bucks, They are cheap, Stick it in a closet and NOT worry about your lease, Noone will know,
    Guns are like candy and youre trusting alot of kids.
    My 2 cents

yes, this i agree with. i keep them out of sight, but i have a feeling they are still snooping around. i have come home to find my projector and dvd player on... the projector will turn on if the power flickers, but the DVD player stays off, and i know i dont leave it on EVER since i dont want the bulb in my projector on any more than needed.
    This Space For Rent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast