Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default Concealed Carry AR-15 Pistol

I was reading a article today and had a intriguing question.

The article said AR-15 Pistols are actually classified as pistols as long as they do not have a fore-grip or stock. Since it is classified as a pistol:

1. Could a person with a Valid CCL legally carry a AR-15 pistol loaded on their person? I know this is not feasible, but is it legal?

2. Rifles are not allowed to be transported in a car loaded. Could a AR-15 pistol be carried loaded in a car? I believe a CCL allows a person to carry their pistol on their person or in their vehicle loaded.

This are confusing legal questions but I would be interested to find the answers. This would also be an interesting option for hiking in state forests instead of carrying a tiny .38.

Thank you for your expertise.
    Last edited by eagle63903; June 30th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry AR-15 Pistol

If it meets the definition of a pistol, why would it matter if it's an AR or not?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lycoming County)

If you have your License to Carry Firearms then I assume you can carry anything that is defined as a firearm..

This is a post from Xringshooter

Title 27 CFR Chapter II Part 478

Firearm.
    Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

Firearm frame or receiver. That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

Firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
    Any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Title 27 CFR Chapter II Part 479

Firearm.
    (a) A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (b) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
    (c) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
    (d) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
    (e) any other weapon, as defined in this subpart;
    (f) a machine gun;
    (g) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and
    (h) a destructive device.

The term shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machine gun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Director finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

For purposes of this definition, the length of the barrel having an integral chamber(s) on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breech block when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked. The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

PA Title 18 Chapter 61 (Uniform Firearms Act)
    Section 6102 Definitions

Firearm: "Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or ant pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable."

PA Title 18 Chapter 61 (Uniform Firearms Act)
    Section 6105 Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms.

"Firearm".--As used in this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapons which are designed to or may readily be concerted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    So basically with a LTCF you can carry NFA stuff like machine guns, sbs's, sbr's, aow's, suppressed pistols, etc..

Your AR pistol is just a pistol so yeah you can carry that concealed, or in your car etc..

I may be wrong on something or everything in my post, I'm not certain because I'm not an expert or lawyer so don't trust me and I would find out for certain first!

(Northampton County)

You can carry rifles and shotguns openly or concealed, no license required. You just can't have them loaded in a car.

Pistols (including AR pistols, semi-auto pistol MACs, anything pistol), NFA items that meet the definition of "firearm" used for LTCF (short barrel or overall length) require LTCF to conceal and can be carried loaded in a car with LTCF.

Default Concealed Carry AR-15 Pistol

Keep a copy of your sales slip to show the cops. They may not know the difference.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You can carry rifles and shotguns openly or concealed, no license required. You just can't have them loaded in a car.

Pistols (including AR pistols, semi-auto pistol MACs, anything pistol), NFA items that meet the definition of "firearm" used for LTCF (short barrel or overall length) require LTCF to conceal and can be carried loaded in a car with LTCF.
    Correct. +rep
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

Quote Originally Posted by eagle63903 View Post
    I was reading a article today and had a intriguing question.

The article said AR-15 Pistols are actually classified as pistols as long as they do not have a fore-grip or stock. Since it is classified as a pistol:

1. Could a person with a Valid CCL legally carry a AR-15 pistol loaded on their person? I know this is not feasible, but is it legal?

2. Rifles are not allowed to be transported in a car loaded. Could a AR-15 pistol be carried loaded in a car? I believe a CCL allows a person to carry their pistol on their person or in their vehicle loaded.

This are confusing legal questions but I would be interested to find the answers. This would also be an interesting option for hiking in state forests instead of carrying a tiny .38.

Thank you for your expertise.
    What's confusing? An AR pistol is a pistol, not a rifle.

(Lehigh County)

Pfft, just carry a concealed M4gery under your trench coat and be done with it
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.