Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Scratches on my Remington 1911 R1

Well I have had this pistol for several months now and I haven't even had the chance to fire it. Well I decided to take it out and familiarize myself a little bit more with it. Well I took notice of these scratches on the slide and on the inside of the frame. Not sure, but it seems to be wearing on that one side on the left. Just from the few times I've handled it and moved the slide seems weird to show that much wear already. What do you guys think?

Should I call/e-mail Remington and have this fixed? Or am I just being a bit too picky? Thanks a lot in advance.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Scratches on my Remington 1911 R1

All you guys are too materialistic..

You can't take em' with ya when you die!

(Mercer County)

I'm assuming you bought it new?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Everything looks normal except the last picture. That part of the slide should not be getting any wear. For a reference, none of the 6 PT 1911's I have (5 .45's and one 9mm) had any kind of wear there before I painted them. Now, even with the paint, there are no wear marks there. All the other marks you have are on every 1911 I own, even the Colt and the SA. The parkerizing is thin on the Rem. R1 just like the Taurus. It will show wear on the high spots of the frame rails with just a few racks of the slide. It is no cause for alarm, just keep the rails lubed. I'd still want to know what is rubbing the bottom the front of the slide. It could be normal on less expensive 1911's, but I wouldn't like it just the same.
    Last edited by harold63; June 30th, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: replaced their with there
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    No, but you can leave 'em to your kids.
    Last edited by Ewussor; June 30th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    All you guys are too materialistic..

You're right I can't. But I haven't even shot this thing and I don't plan on dying any time soon. I'm only 29 lol

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Everything looks normal except the last picture. That part of the slide should not be getting any wear. For a reference, none of the 6 PT 1911's I have (5 .45's and one 9mm) had any kind of wear their before I painted them. Now, even with the paint, there are no wear marks there. All the other marks you have are on every 1911 I own, even the Colt and the SA. The parkerizing is thin on the Rem. R1 just like the Taurus. It will show wear on the high spots of the frame rails with just a few racks of the slide. It is no cause for alarm, just keep the rails lubed. I'd still want to know what is rubbing the bottom the front of the slide. It could be normal on less expensive 1911's, but I wouldn't like it just the same.
    The second picture and the last picture seem to coincide. I understand some slide wear if it's been shot a lot. Having handled this less than 20 times, just seemed as though there is some friction going on there. BTW yes this pistol was bought new.

I'm rather surprised I didn't notice this before, but there even seems to be a scratch into the metal which can't be seen on the second picture. :/

(Susquehanna County)

I don't see anything "bad" here. If you have racked the slide or disassembled the gun for cleaning and reassembled it, that could account for some of the wear marks. and scratches (the one inside the dust cover could be from the recoil spring). You can also get wear indications from he gun rubbing in its shipping box. Overall nothing I would worry about.

Lube the gun well when you go to the range to shoot it. Use a good lube on the rails and a light gun oil on the barrel end where the bushing locks up and on the hood through the ejection port to lube the locking lugs.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Thanks a lot. That's really all I wanted to know.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I don't see anything "bad" here. If you have racked the slide or disassembled the gun for cleaning and reassembled it, that could account for some of the wear marks. and scratches (the one inside the dust cover could be from the recoil spring). You can also get wear indications from he gun rubbing in its shipping box. Overall nothing I would worry about.

Lube the gun well when you go to the range to shoot it. Use a good lube on the rails and a light gun oil on the barrel end where the bushing locks up and on the hood through the ejection port to lube the locking lugs.
    This is very important in preventing galling.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by MirandasPits View Post
    The second picture and the last picture seem to coincide. I understand some slide wear if it's been shot a lot.
    Ah, yes, I see inside the dust cover where it may be skinning the bottom of the slide where the endcap in incased. As said before, I wouldn't want the slide scraping there. It is a minor risk we take when we purchase a production 1911 that is inexpensive. 3/1000" would give plenty of clearance there. You could ask Remington to machine a little of that out and reblue it or have a gun smith do it. Trust me, it isn't supposed to rub there. It also may be that they would refit the slide to the frame to raise it a bit. I'm still learning about these, myself, but it seems feesible. You can always use emery cloth and a socket to hone it some, yourself, and then reblue the areas that need touching up.

edit: I said earlier it could be normal on an inexpensive 1911 for the inside of the dust cover to rub the outside of the slide where the endcap is, but I am taking that back. I can't find those marks on my neighbors two 1911's, either, and as said, none of mine have it. After looking at some close up shots of some disassembly instructions on the tube, I don't see them there, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2Wna_geuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2Wna_geuk

If you notice the endcap in the first video, you'll see that that gun has been shot/disassembled quite a few times.
    Last edited by harold63; June 30th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.