Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default A friend got pulled over and notified the officer he was carrying....

I have a friend who is new to carrying a gun, he got pulled over today and notified the officer that he was carrying his gun and handed him his LTCF that was not an issue the issue was when i told him the in PA he doesn't have the duty to notify the officer and a couple of his friends jumped in, this all took place on facebook so ill copy and past the conversation and you can tell me the mistakes i made.

Also i know in that conversation i made spelling errors etc. but i was not home and was on my phone typing all of this out so i tried to remember the things i was telling them i didn't have a computer to look up things so i did the best i could do in the situation i was in.

Just so you know when reading the replies and you see this (ME) or the other names i gave the people that is them or me using a name i just changed it to what i am calling the people so no names are used.

Friend (that got pulled over) posted this: Not something I want to see today. At lease he didn't get mad when I said Im armed

ME: In PA you don't have to inform the officer if you are armed why even tell him?

Person 1: What did you get pulled over for. You bad boy you. Lol

Person 1: The hell you do have to tell them your armed.

Person 2: why would you not have to tell them you are armed.... im pretty sure you have to tell any cop you are armed so they dont see it and shoot you...

Person 2: you did the right thing by telling them you were armed and they cant get mad at you for having a weapon only if you try to use it on them

ME: You do not have to tell a cop you are armed in the state of PA.

ME: Or if he does ask if you have any weapons, the best response is, "i have nothing illegal in my possession."

Friend: I figure ill tell him no big deal I just handed both my licences to him he just looked at them and gave me ny hand gun licence back

Person 2: okay question say you have your gun in your glovebox.... and when he asks for you registration and you forgot to grab it out and you go to the glovebox...the moment he sees that gun and you reaching for something in there he WILL pull his gun on you.... it dont matter if you dont HAVE to tell him why would anyone be an asshole and not tell them...

Person 2: that response sounds a little fishy... if i were a cop and someone said that to me when i pulled them over i would searech them just for that reason... with the ppl around this area that's like telling a cop that you are guilty of something

ME: If I was in the glove box situation I would tell him... but when I carry I usually have my wallet in my cup holder and my gun always on me and my registration easy to get to and already out. Now as for answering the question about a search he doesn't see anything in you car doesn't smell anything in you car that means there no reasonable suspicion so search you or your person and would be grounds for the 4h amendment violation if he does search you for truthfully answering his question. But I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice it is just from a lot of research on the subject.

Person 1: shut up you dont know the law for fire arms in pa. You are right (Person 2) and I know I am right and (ME) don't know what the hell he is talking about.

Person 1: Don't beleave what (ME) says becouse I sure as hell don't.

ME: Can you site me the law (Person 1)?

ME: I'll even help you out (Person 1), look this up and read it the is the laws Pa.C.S. 18, II, G, 61, A: Uniform Firearms Act

Person 1: You know what (ME) you don't know between your ass and the hole in the ground. When you go for your pistol permanent they tell you you have to keep it where ppl can see it. I know becouse I have one you dum smuck.

Person 1: (Friend) did the right thing so shut the hell up dude.

ME: I'm PA It's called a "Licence to Carry Firearms" not pistol permit take out our of got wallet and look for your self, I've had mine for over 10 years, plus I have my Utah Concealed Firearm Permit for about 7 years. You are the one that is mistaken, the cops can "tell" what they want but that doesn't mean is the Law.

Person 1: Shut the hell up (ME).

Person 2: Wow hostility...all I was saying was (Friend) did the right thing and told the cop and it would be dumb for someone not to...even if you don't have to.

ME: You can see who is being hostile, lol I'm being calm and trying to point (Person 1) in the direction of the law. I'm not saying what (Friend) did was wrong, I'm just telling him he doesnt have to inform the officer. Sometimes if you have a cop that's on a power trip you can end up disarmed, with the cop checking you gun against the PA firearm sales registry. And if nothing shows up in their incomplete data base you end up having to petitionthe court to get your gun back when it should of never been taken from you in the first place

Person 2: that's why it is best to tell them!!! see i win!

Perosn 2: lol

ME: Tell him so he can take your gun? Lol that's why I don't say anything unless asked so I avoid that possibility.

Person 2: no tell him so he dont take your gun... palmerton cops normally arent on a power trip....unless they DONT like you! and statey's around here arent THAT bad.... but i still win!

ME: And if you don't tell them to have a gun they won't take it either, for the most part stateys are better to deal with, exept for the stillwater barrics I think it is. They are a different story.

Friend: ok enough fighting everyone-(Person 1) when it comes to guns and the laws about carrying a gun (ME) knows his shit i trust (ME) when it comes to that- thanks (Person 2) for saying that i think i did the right thing too i wouldent chang nothing exept the speeding part so everyone stop fighting unless you want to help me pay my ticket.

ME: Thanks (Friend), I provided him the Law to look up and read to me carrying a firearm is a great responsibility one that should not me taken lightly and people should be educated on the laws. Its gives people that carry to defend them selves and their families a bad name when you have armed hot heads out and about that dont know the laws or care for that matter. Im not saying i know all of the laws far from it i learn something new everyday. If anyone really wants to talk with a bunch of people that really know their shit here is a good site to visit to learn a great deal from http://forum.pafoa.org/
    Last edited by CartBone69; June 30th, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Coloring, lol

Default Re: A friend got pulled over and notified the officer he was carrying....

The main problem we have is that it's so easy to find erroneous "official" answers, from people who really should know better or at least shut up. How often have we seen "I asked a cop, and he told me...." or "everyone at the gun shop agreed that you can't....", or "the Sheriff's website says...".

Perhaps worst of all is the fact that Philadelphia willfully ignores the laws that oblige them, and makes up new laws that exceed their authority. The 2-page pamphlet they hand out with LTCF's (which they call "permits") explicitly states that you must inform any officer you encounter. Not that "it's a good idea", but that it's the law. Same for "automatic revocation" if your gun is stolen from your car, which has no legal basis at all.

So someone could hand you the Official Pamphlet from the PPD and use it to trump what you think you know based on having read the actual statutes.

It's a problem, and you should be prepared for it when someone "proves" you wrong with a link to the Philly PD website. Explain that Philly politicians have been smacked down by the courts before for their own spin on gun control, and this is another example.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: A friend got pulled over and notified the officer he was carrying....

Well done Brother. Nothing like shutting an idiot down.

ETA: My rep was supposed to say "like a boss" but I got excited and hit enter too quick lol.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; June 30th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I like how you cited the actual law and he cited absolutely nothing other than his opinion and then told you that you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when you posted the law for him to read (which I'm sure he didn't). What a class act.

People like that are the reason I'm glad this site exists; I came here to get advice on something, and I got an actual answer. If people WANT to be informed, this site is a great place to do it.

But good job handling that asshole and +1 for dropping PAFOA into it.

(Allegheny County)

So what happened to your friend?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    He mentioned that it wasn't an issue from the look of it.

(Montgomery County)

I felt that your responses were pretty good. And you even posted a link to try and educate person 1. Bytheway, person 1 would probably be deleted off my facebook real quick. There are too many people out there that are 100% convinced that they are right even with documented proof and will not listen to anybody else. I have no time for people like that nor do I have the patience. Rep inbound.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I think he got a speeding ticket, seems like the officer who pulled him over didn't even say anything about the gun which is the way it should go as you know from experience, lol

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    I think he got a speeding ticket, seems like the officer who pulled him over didn't even say anything about the gun which is the way it should go as you know from experience, lol
    Glad the gun part went well at least!

Have you considered upgrading your friends?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast