Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: A friend got pulled over and notified the officer he was carrying....

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Have you considered upgrading your friends?
    Person1 and Person2 are probably friends with the OP's friend, but not with the OP himself, as they were all commenting on a post made by the OP's friend.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: A friend got pulled over and notified the officer he was carrying....

Idiots are idiots, and the majority of people aren't really interested in knowing what the facts are even if you're willing to tell them. This is why I try not to "educate" people unless they ask me to.

(Bucks County)

I"ve read and been part of this particular disagreement on many a gun fora.

The most common argument for those that insist you should always notify.....and it didn't even come up in this one....is "cooperation" and "respect" and "the officer just wants to go home at the end of shift".

I've learned that no matter how much law you quote there is no swaying those people.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Idiots are idiots, and the majority of people aren't really interested in knowing what the facts are even if you're willing to tell them. This is why I try not to "educate" people unless they ask me to.
    What amazes me is how many people don't know that "the law" is actually written down some place, and that there's often "a" correct answer to basic legal questions. They seem to think that "the law" is a consensus of opinions, like "what's the best way to cook a rib roast?" or "was Silverado a good movie?"

The reality is that simple statutory questions are more like "who wrote 'Patriot Games'?" There's only one correct answer, and you can easily determine what that answer is by looking it up. Not by asking "wouldn't it make sense if you had to?", or mixing practical issues like "what if your gun is in the glove box and you reach into the box?" with statutory requirements.

We seriously need to spend some time in K-12 schooling on the laws that we're presumed to know. At least we have the Internet now, and the statutes can be casually reviewed at our leisure instead of having to visit a library and wading through the organizational system.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Well done. I think the one think that you alluded that I would have stressed is that each state has different laws as far informing an officer goes. Since it is Facebook there is a chance that the person who said you have to inform lives in another state where it is possible that you do have to inform the officer.

A lot of people do not realize that different states have different laws when it comes to matters like this.

(Beaver County)

Good job on trying to educate your friends.I agree that the hostile one either needs some work,or released.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Erie County)

this seems to be the norm in society today... that IMO is why the goverment is able to get away with so much is a disinterested and uninformed and apathetic society. folks need to care, educate, and act!!

Most people are ignorant of the law, and of their rights. As a result, they give up their rights routinely and don't know it.

When told that they gave up a right, they pull the "who cares, it was easier this way" crap rather than appear a fool. And, they'll argue that position to the death.

OP, you did good. +rep

edit: rep nazi got me. I have to wait until tomorrow.
    Last edited by longcall911; June 30th, 2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: edit
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Lehigh County)

Thanks everyone for all of the great responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    Person1 and Person2 are probably friends with the OP's friend, but not with the OP himself, as they were all commenting on a post made by the OP's friend.
    Bingo, Person 1 and Person 2 are his friends not mine i have never seen those people and dont really care to.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Well done. I think the one think that you alluded that I would have stressed is that each state has different laws as far informing an officer goes. Since it is Facebook there is a chance that the person who said you have to inform lives in another state where it is possible that you do have to inform the officer.

A lot of people do not realize that different states have different laws when it comes to matters like this.
    I did have a reply written out about Ohio being a must inform state but then i thought to myself, if this idiot is having a hard enough time grasping the laws of PA bringing up the Laws of Ohio would just confuse him even more.

When you go for your pistol permanent they tell you you have to keep it where ppl can see it. I know becouse I have one you dum smuck.
    Person #1 is a real brain trust, isn't he?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd really like to see a scan or photo of his pistol "permanent."
    Last edited by Greywolf; June 30th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast