Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default What Makes the Ideal Carry Revolver?

I like to carry a revolver. Typically a J frame, now it's a SP101, but I'm thinking I'm going to switch it up again.

What makes the ideal carry revolver? Lightweight, ergonomic, accurate, capacity, sights, etc.

I don't mind recoil. I'm glad to trade less recoil for a gun that's easier to carry. This has me seriously considering some of the scandium Smiths.

Ergonomics are a bit of a moot point, since they are different for everyone. I very much like the feel of most revolvers, I have found many I hate the ergonomics on. It's funny, the grips of a revolver are designed to be held, while the grips of an auto are designed to hold ammo. Something to think about.

Accuracy is of course subjective. Most factory guns will be more accurate than I am. Shooting double action with small guns is about all I do anymore, so that doesn't worry me.

Capacity is interesting. 5, 6, 7, 8, (centerfire at least). I almost always shoot J frames, so 5 shots doesn't seem limiting to me. It just encourages me to practice reloading. I'm certainly not against increased capacity but it tends to increase weight (and often cost).
    A little
    Sights are important, especially on a fighting gun. I'm perfectly fine shooting with the little channel and nub that S&W considers sights on the modern J frame, but would really prefer something with the possibility of a night sight, even if it's just in the front.

Caliber. I guess I prefer .357 but .38 is good too. I'd love to get a 940 (9mm) but they aren't exactly easy to come buy. I'd entertain .45acp as well.

I'm looking right around $700ish. I can maybe stretch that a little but would rather spend less and put some money into a good holster or two. I'm totally fine with buying used guns, I actually prefer it.

Let's please try to keep semi-automatic pistols out of the discussion. I have them, I like them, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

Let's hear your ideas and suggestions.

Oh, and I won't buy a Ruger LCR, for any reason. You don't want to know why.
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 29th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: What Makes the Ideal Carry Revolver?

My revolver story:

I grew up shooting 1911s, leaving the revolvers to my dad. I didn't like them, so I never took the time to learn how to shoot one.

Back after my first Utah class, I had a lady who wanted to pay me a couple hundred bucks to help her with her defensive pistol skills. She was older, and had no clue how to run a handgun. I have a range in my backyard and nothing to do the next day, so I invited her to come down free of charge. She shows up with an old J frame in her purse. After clearing the melted cough drop from the barrel, we went over some administrative items and started shooting.

She complained that the gun was nowhere near accurate, and wanted me to shoot it. I took the gun and attempted to show her the accuracy it was capable of. She wasn't very impressed with my 15 inch group, and told me that she KNEW the gun sucked.

That was a hard day for me, telling that old lady that it was the Instructor that sucked with a revolver, not the gun. It was even worse when I had to go grab the old man and have him show her that gun was sound. I still hear about that to this day. She did, however, leave that day with a solid foundation from which to build her defensive pistol skill set.

That night I ordered a pallet of .38 special. Shot them all within a month and ordered another. I now shoot about 500 rounds of .38 a month. Now I love revolvers! While I still don't carry one, I no longer embarass myself when forced to shoot one.

As for what I think makes a perfect carry revolver, I think size is important. I'm not talking small-sized revolvers either. So many people will carry a 5 inch 1911 or a 4 inch Glock, XD, M&P etc, but think a 3 inch revolver is too much. I just don't get it. A longer sight radius does nothing but help you.

I'm not really worried about capacity. If the odds of your average individual ever having to use a firearm in self defense are very low, the odds of getting into a prolonged gun battle are even lower. Learn how to make combat accurate hits out to 15 yards, and you're every bit as well-armed as the guy carrying a Glock 17 with 10 mags.

Just one man's opinion
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; June 30th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I like these couple-
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

I've only ever fired a wheel gun a handful of times so I dont know a lot. I think I recall guys saying that .357 in a snubby is a waste of time and $$ since the powder doesnt get a full burn anyway. Better off with +P .38s. Look in the used cases of your LGStores, I frequently see nice wheel guns at pretty good prices.

The ideal revolver for carry is the one that suits your tastes and needs the best. Mine is a NNA .22 Mini-Mag. Fit nice and discrete in my pocket...a place I have a life time of experience in accessing. With my particular work/play/freetime this gun suits me nicely.

That said, you'll also often find me with something else in addition to the pocket gun. Either a 9mm semi-auto or a .32 Long revolver. Or one of several others, but those are my most frequent carries.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Cumberland County)

I pocket carry a .38spl +P J-frame Monday-Friday. However, if I decided my mian carry gun was to be a revolver, it would likely be a K-frame .357 Mag. However an N-frame model 329PD in .44 Mag would be cool

Taurus carries a large assortment of small revolvers, I like their new SW 40 cal and their 44 special model, they also have the 9 mm revolver.

http://www.taurususa.com/2012catalog/?catalog_page=30

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

(Monroe County)

For me this is hard to beat:

19 OZ, 7 shots of 357, and sights that don't suck.

s&w 386pd

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Chester County)

I have a model 60 ladysmith 357 with crimson trace laser grip. Phenominal point and shoot dead on accuracy, plenty of fire power with knockdown punch all in a sweet compact 2" barrel package. Great ergonomics and very comfortable. My second choice for concealed summertime carry next to my glock 26.

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    For me this is hard to beat:

19 OZ, 7 shots of 357, and sights that don't suck.

s&w 386pd
    I carry this one a lot. It has all the marks of lots of time in the holster. I also carry an N frame S&W. As has been mentioned, it is up to you for features, comfort, etc. just make sure you practice with it.

(Berks County)

When my wife doesn't want to carry her CZ-83 she carries a Smith & Wesson 686 7-shot with a 4-inch barrel. She likes it both for the weight (Allows her to shoot hot loads without any problem) and the intimidation factor. You don't want to mess with a 5'1" woman wielding a hand cannon! If she's carrying around three pounds of steel in a crossdraw holster, it probably means she knows how to use it.

It's also my all-weather pistol when I don't feel like taking my 1911 out into the rain. Just don't go telling my wife I wear her guns when she's not around.

Anyway, picture isn't of the one she has. Hers has tritium sights on it, and that stupid locking mechanism. You get the idea, though:

Last edited by Lexington; June 30th, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed image.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast