Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: What Makes the Ideal Carry Revolver?

Well, all my revolvers are Rugers so it could be a SP101, LCR, Security Six, Speed Six or Service Six (Six series in the 2 3/4 barrel). I happen to like revolvers and have shot competition in the past with revolvers (PPC) so I'm real comfortable carrying a revolver with a speed loader or two.

However, there is no one "ideal carry revolver". You need to determine what is best for YOU in weight, dimensions, how you are going to carry, how much extra ammo you want to have on hand and most importantly, how well do YOU shoot it. You can have the best of everything, but if you can't shoot it well, it might as well be a paperweight in you pocket/holster.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    Day-Um. How does a 5'1" woman conceal that?
    She actually can conceal it if she wears a heavy coat in the winter time, but that's usually her open carry or around-the-house weapon. When she wants to conceal she carries the CZ-83. Large for a .380, but it also has higher capacity and a heavier weight which helps her with recoil management.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post

I gotta say though thelemite's 386pd looks nice, especially if it fits in a pocket.
    Indeed. I've also got a line on a 325pd, which is not only light (for a six shot .45acp) but also incredibly sexy.

I'm also thinking about a 3 inch 686+, but that is starting to get way too heavy. More and more I'm thinking a five shot scandium J is for me. Truth be told I need a 3 or 4 inch 686 too, but that one will have to wait. Oh to have unlimited finances. After a couple J frames and an SP101 the wheel gun bug is bitting hard. I'm tempted to find a scandium J frame and have TK customs convert it to 9mm. Now that would be my ultimate carry revolver. Extremely light, common, cheap cartridge that still has enough punch for me to be comfortable carrying it for self defense... I'm a bit apprehensive about moon clips though, I like being able to load loose cartridges. I don't know if that outweighs the sheer awesomeness of a scandium 5 shooter in 9mm though. Hmmmm...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Indeed. I've also got a line on a 325pd, which is not only light (for a six shot .45acp) but also incredibly sexy.

I'm also thinking about a 3 inch 686+, but that is starting to get way too heavy. More and more I'm thinking a five shot scandium J is for me. Truth be told I need a 3 or 4 inch 686 too, but that one will have to wait. Oh to have unlimited finances. After a couple J frames and an SP101 the wheel gun bug is bitting hard. I'm tempted to find a scandium J frame and have TK customs convert it to 9mm. Now that would be my ultimate carry revolver. Extremely light, common, cheap cartridge that still has enough punch for me to be comfortable carrying it for self defense... I'm a bit apprehensive about moon clips though, I like being able to load loose cartridges. I don't know if that outweighs the sheer awesomeness of a scandium 5 shooter in 9mm though. Hmmmm...
    What is this tk customs you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by leplat View Post
    What is this tk customs you speak of?
    Purveyors of fine moon clips, and they also will machine cylinders for moon clips and convert cylinders to 9mm, .38 super, .45 colt to shoot .45acp, and other incredibly awesome stuff like that.

Smartass answer to your question here

The scandiums are nice for weight but firing them to be and stay proficient with it will suck. Also the cost of them is higher than a regular j frame by usually double. The 357 out of a jframe is harder on your hand with not much benefit on the other end vs a 38 +p. I carry a 642 everyday and shoot it as often as I can I think your ammo choice is more important than the 3oz you save with the scandium.

(Montgomery County)

I have a few attributes that are (in my opinion) must haves for a defensive revolver.

1. Bobbed hammer and double action only.
    2. Front tritium night sight (I prefer plain black rear sights)
    3. Smallish "boot type" grips to aid in concealment.

My chosen carry revolvers are a S&W Performance Center Carry Comp 686+ and a 642. The 642 does not have a front tritium sight, yet compromise is necessary sometimes.

Whatever you go with, make sure it works for you. I personally have an affinity for S&W, yet not everyone does.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

I currently carry a S&W Model 40 as my BUG. It's a very attractive revolver. The only thing I don't like is the grip safety. I understand there is an easy mod that overrides the grip safety. Been thinking of getting a 442 to instead carry.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    The K frame S&W's with a 3 inch barrel and RB configurtaion have always struck the appropriate balance between power and conceal-ability.

The model 65 in .357 or for the recoil sensitive, the models 10 and 64 in 38spl.

Pre-lock of course.

I'll second that. The 3" M65 and M65LS, and the 3" Ruger GP100 are IMO and experience the "perfect" carry revolver. Six shots of either 357 Magnum or 38 Special of your flavor preference, and no target sights to get caught on something. Stainless steel for corrosion resistance. A good balance of weight, physical size, and robust construction.

I own four of the 65LS revolvers and one 3" GP100 with the partial lug and I have to be honest -- as a lifelong S&W fan I really like the GP100, and since it's in production it will be easier to find than a used 65LS. Those Ladysmiths have a cult following among S&W collectors and the prices are in the cha-CHING! range.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Small, light and hard hitting. Most would consider a 38 spl snub nose, I like the 2" K frame in 357/38spl with 38 spl the 158 SWC or LHP even in 38spl sn or the 130jhp or 158 jhp 357. With IWB hoslter .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast