Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Can I open carry in state forests and state parks?

Hi, I'm originally from NYC so I'm still new to PA. I done a lot of research here and understand you can't open carry in places such as your car, courts, Philidelphia, etc. I have a few questions though.
    1, Can I open carry in a state forest? for example if I'm riding my ATV on a ATV trail within a state forest can I open carry my pistol while riding my ATV? If I plan to go hiking or camping with my gf in the mountains I'd like to bring my pistol.
    2, When I do open carry, the pistol can be loaded right?
    3, I heard stories where people get booted from stores for open carry, can businesses actually make rules saying you can't OC in their business?
    Last edited by Will3212; June 27th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Can I open carry in state forests and state parks?

I wouldn't OC in a State Park. Personally, I don't want to be a test case.

Yes, the gun can be loaded if you're OC.

Yes, private property holders can ask you to leave, and you must do so.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

Do you have your LTCF?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Do you have your LTCF?
    Yeah good point lol

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I wouldn't OC in a State Park. Personally, I don't want to be a test case.

Yes, the gun can be loaded if you're OC.

Yes, private property holders can ask you to leave, and you must do so.
    I don't have my LTCF, so is a state park and state forest the same? I really don't want to go into a state forest unarmed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I don't have my LTCF, so is a state park and state forest the same? I really don't want to go into a state forest unarmed.

Are you still a resident of NY as your profile says?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    Hi, I'm originally from NYC so I'm still new to PA.
    Welcome aboard.
    I done a lot of research here and understand you can't open carry in places such as your car, courts, Philidelphia, etc.
    a. There is no such thing as open carry or concealed carry in a car. There's just carry and, with a few, specific exception, you have to have an LTCF in order to do so.
    b. Courts are off limits, but they do have to provide storage facilities for your firearm.
    c. Open carry is not prohibited in Philadelphia but you do have to have an LTCF to carry either OC or CC in Philly.
    Can I open carry in a state forest?
    There are no restrictions for state forests. For state parks, however, open carry is prohibited (unless the interpretation of the regulation is changed).
    can I open carry my pistol while riding my ATV?
    An ATV is a vehicle (as is a horse, a yard tractor or a bicycle). You must possess an LTCF to carry a pistol in or on a vehicle.
    When I do open carry, the pistol can be loaded right?
    It makes little sense to carry an unloaded pistol. This isn't the late, great State of California where, until recently, the only way you could legally carry a pistol was unloaded.
    I heard stories where people get booted from stores for open carry, can businesses actually make rules saying you can't OC in their business?
    Businesses are private property owners, and the owner can dictate whatever rules he or she wants to concerning your access to their property. You're there by invitation only, and such can be revoked at any time.

Please, please, please check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) tab at the top of the page, plus the Quick Links tabs.

It is YOUR responsibility to know Pennsylvania's gun laws (which are more than available on the Internet).

(Mercer County)

The above covers it very well.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Are you still a resident of NY as your profile says?
    I'll be switching over to a PA resident very soon.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I believe you can also open carry in the Allegheny National Forest. Unlike state land, you can target shoot there too:

Shooting sports activities have been enjoyed for generations and are welcomed on National Forest System lands.

Both state and federal laws apply on National Forest System lands, so you also need to check on the state laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. You also need to be in compliance with any general federal laws and regulations about weapons (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), etc). The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and many commercial publications provide this information.

The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.

If you are planning on visiting a designated Wilderness Area, the Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order which additionally prohibits the mere possession of a firearm within that Wilderness Area. Although this prohibition is not common, you should contact the Forest Supervisor's office to find out whether such a restriction has been imposed.

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges. However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area, please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave. Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets. Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly! on federal lands.

It is also a good idea regardless, just to contact the local Forest Service District or Forest Offices in advance of your visit to ask the same question, as they are more aware of local ranges and other opportunities, local orders or restrictions, issues and special conditions that may affect you.

Enjoy your visit to our National Forests.

Jamie Schwartz, Shooting Sports Liaison, USDA Forest Service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast