Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Greene County)

Default Glock guys, I need your help!

Yesterday I purchased a used Glock 23 with a Crimson Trace grip laser from a local ffl dealer. I'm not very familiar with Glock models, so I asked which generation it was, and was told a gen 3. It didn't come with the factory box or any manuals, just the firearm and two 13 rd magazines. I payed about $570 for it, which I thought was a pretty decent deal even w/out the case/manuals, so I picked it up. Today I took it to my normal ffl dealer to show him and I found out it is actually a gen 2, which kinda ticked me off because I most likely wouldn't have bought it and bought a new gen 3, the only reason I did get it is cuz I thought l was getting a really sweet deal.

My question is, what do gen 2's go for? Is that a decent price? Whats the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen? The gun is in really good shape, no wear marks or anything like that, very good condition. I'm wandering if I should try to take it back for a refund or just keep it, it gets me more upset that I was lied to about it, either that or the guy just didn't know, which I find hard to believe being its a rather large ffl dealer and they're big on Glocks.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Glock guys, I need your help!

Gen 3 Glocks will have finger groves on the grip. Gen 2 will be smooth with horizontal textured lines on the front and back straps. Gen 1 is just smooth. That's the easiest and quickest way to tell the difference. Also, Gen 3's have rails... with exception of sub-compact models.

For a Gen 2, I think you over paid (assuming it was used... unlikely to have a new Gen 2), but as far as internal differences, I'm not too sure.

If the gun runs reliably, I say hold onto it.

Gen 2

Gen 3
    Last edited by EvoRich; June 27th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

(Blair County)

Main differences between Gen2 and Gen3:

Gen2 does not have finger grooves on the grip.
    Gen2 does not have an accessory rail.

Gen2s are fine guns and in the condition you describe, are highly sought after. IMO, you overpaid, but most shops won't do refunds on firearms as far as I'm aware. You may be better off just eating the little bit you overpaid and enjoy your new gun.

(Monroe County)

If seeking a new glock, go gen 4 JMHO. As for price, I would say you overpaid a little.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    If seeking a new glock, go gen 4 JMHO. As for price, I would say you overpaid a little.
    +1 to this. Bought a Gen4 G17 yesterday and broke it in today. Sadly, didn't get to run as much ammo as I wanted, only got through 9 magazines. But I didn't have any malfunctions or cases to the facial region, which made me happy.

(York County)

Are you military at all? If you are, massive fail. Buy from atlantic tactical. Roughly 430.00 out the door for a brand new with case and three mags ect... for a Gen 4 with night sites.

If you are not and it is barely used Gen 2 or Gen 3 with lasermax grip, not overly bad. If it a Gen 3 barely used then it is a decent deal. Check the barrel of the pistol. Lock your slide to the rear and look at the top of the exposed barrel. If there is a good bit of wear that is the easiest way to see how much the pistol was shot.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    Are you military at all? If you are, massive fail. Buy from atlantic tactical. Roughly 430.00 out the door for a brand new with case and three mags ect... for a Gen 4 with night sites.

If you are not and it is barely used Gen 2 or Gen 3 with lasermax grip, not overly bad. If it a Gen 3 barely used then it is a decent deal. Check the barrel of the pistol. Lock your slide to the rear and look at the top of the exposed barrel. If there is a good bit of wear that is the easiest way to see how much the pistol was shot.
    No I'm not military, that's a great deal though!

It's looking like my hometown ffl guy was mistaken, because there's definatly an accessory rail and finger grooves on the grip, which is great for me! There is hardly any marks on the barrell, at all, theres not a single "nick" on the gun anywhere, either the previous owner NEVER shot the gun, or he had it duracoated/gun-koted right before trading it in. The laser isn't a lasermax either, it's a Crimson Trace laser grip, which run about $250 new. So I'm pretty happy now, I think I got a pretty decent deal after all being the condition of the firearm is as close to brand new as you can get Glockmeister has new pistol cases for like $20 I believe, I'm going to grab one of those and see if I can contact Glock about getting an owners manual.

I'll try to post some pics, not sure if I can figure it out but I'll give it a shot so you guys can check it out

(Mercer County)

Enjoy your new pistol my friend. It's a good one.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

If it ever saves your life, it'll the be the best money you've ever over spent on a gun.

(York County)

With the serial number prefix you can see when it was made.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1287557

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast