Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Pocono Medical Center

Does anyone know what the reason is that many of the "Hospitalist" doctors at PMC try to hard sell sending the elderly to the VNA Hospice House?
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; June 27th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pocono Medical Center

I have no inside knowledge on these two facilities but my guess would be that they are both owned/operated by the same parent company and the doctors are strongly encouraged to push the issue. Prior to becoming a stay at home mom my wife worked in the field and frequently made comments about this kind of stuff going on where she was. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some sort of "finders fee" but that is pure speculation on my part.

(Monroe County)

How about they are all assholes... Sorry, I see PMC mentioned, thats the FIRST thought that comes to mind... Knowing those half-educated know nothings, I am inclined to agree with the finders fee idea.

(Northampton County)

.... follow the money....

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Monroe County)

Actually very few on this board are old enough to remember when PMC was a rinkydink lousy med center. They have become a really decent place over the last 20 years. I still do all my stuff in the Lehigh Valley because of habit and where my docs are and always have been. If time was of essence I wouldn't hesitate to use PMC.

Having a couple friends that are doctors, friends and relatives that are nursed and an RN mother that has run the same doctor's office for over 33 years in the valley I can tell you the reason any would suggest a certain place is the experience with that group.
    VNA and hospice has to have a good working relationship with the patients primary doctor so whoever that doctor is comfortable with is the way they lean. There is no kickback. I have first hand experience with this communication between the two.

(Monroe County)

Thing is . . . most, if not all of these hospitals / medical centers were bought out long ago by amalgamate corporations. It's all big business and the bottom line. If somebody is looking for compassionate hand-holding care, it ain't on the menu at any of those places.

I happened to be at a hospital over Jersey City yesterday undergoing medical tests. It's all . . . station to station, wait here and wait there . . .etc. That hospital just changed hands again for the third time in two years. The new parent corporation is consolidating departments and cutting staff. Again . . . it's all the bottom line and the bean counters rule.

As far as Pocono Medical Center goes, despite most establishments (of all kinds) in this area of Pennsylvania that are substandard dogcrap and staffed by arrogant morons, that PMC hospital has the absolutely best system for walk in procedures such as blood tests. It's fast and easy with a simple assigned number having lighted number signs above each door of the room. When it's your turn, the numeral blinks on above that entrance. It's really slick.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Monroe County)

Actually PMC is a first class medical facility that constantly rates among the top 5 medical facilities nation wide, dont blame the doctors for this practice blame the corporations that own these medical facilities that force not only doctors to peddle their other facilities but to peddle certain drugs that the big pharma pays them to peddle wether or not the patient needs it, that is a even bigger problem.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Actually PMC is a first class medical facility that constantly rates among the top 5 medical facilities nation wide, dont blame the doctors for this practice blame the corporations that own these medical facilities that force not only doctors to peddle their other facilities but to peddle certain drugs that the big pharma pays them to peddle wether or not the patient needs it, that is a even bigger problem.
    Recent laws changed how drug reps do business. They can't even leave note-pads and pens at the offices. No more Broadway shows and trips for the doctors.Insurance companies are getting tighter on using generics and watch scripts closely.
    As far as pushing their in-house facilities, why not, it's good business and as a consumer you need to be informed and know you have choices.

Even though I buy great insurance when my EOB comes I scrutinize everything and call the health care provider and/or my insurance if I see an unwarranted charge.

Profit and choice has made US health care the best but alas that is about to change.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    As far as pushing their in-house facilities, why not, it's good business and as a consumer you need to be informed and know you have choices.
    Based on my first hand experience, they do more than just "push" their in-house facilities and have practices that for practical purposes punish the patient when you do not choose to do things their way. That is of course after they have milked the patient's insurance. The "real" doctors, nurses and support staff in the ER, ICU, CVTelli and maternity units are certainly competent and professional but the over glorified administrators called "Hospitalists" remind me of used car sales men at best and bullies in the worst cases.

(Bucks County)

I remember Easton Hospital when it went 'for profit' My dad was a former municipal worker from times when they were not covered by social security. He had his pension and was covered under the city's medical.

During a heatwave his Asthma acted up and he was admitted. Not long after he was settled in his room this 'sales' lady, not dressed in scrubs, etc. came in and tried to sell him a nebulizer for his home use saying "Don't worry, Medicare will pay for it!"...

She couldn't leave quick enough when she learend he didn't have Medicare and if he needed a nebulizer, he would follow his doctor's instructions and would't buy it from her anyway!

On the other hand, When I fell at camp a d fractured my fib/tib; they were great to me. I had to undergo doogie howser selling me on an orthopedic operation...which I am glad I followed up and had the procedure done there.
    Last edited by wis bang; June 29th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast