Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default A few feeble rounds in a row, then okay

So I'm puzzling over this one.

Had the SR22P out at TargetWorld today. Put 100 rounds through it.

Federal Bulk pack.

She was running great, then in the middle the fourth or fifth magazine, I got about five "weak" rounds in a row. Not so much that it failed to cycle. But noticeably less recoil, NO visible muzzle flash (which is fairly spectacular with those loads on that dark-ish range) and all were hits right in the group.

Then normal operation resumed.

Remember, this is the bulk-pack.

I'd say "oh you just got some duds," but seriously, what are the chances when reaching in a box-o-ammo you'll get five of five semi-duds and load them right together? (I load my four magazines, then fill an old 100-round plastic box, and head out.)

My tendency is to think that "something" was hung up in the gun, that then cleared, but then I'm at a loss to explain what would cause that symptom.

In hindsight, I probably should have stopped after the second or third one, emptied the weapon, and given it a good hard look.

Ideas?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: A few feeble rounds in a row, then okay

Since you all ready put 4 or 5 mags down range, is it possible your arms and/or hands were getting tired or too relaxed and you were limp-wristing?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by palawstudent View Post
    Since you all ready put 4 or 5 mags down range, is it possible your arms and/or hands were getting tired or too relaxed and you were limp-wristing?
    Oh no he didn't.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by palawstudent View Post
    Thanks for the idea, but no that wasn't it.

The SR22P doesn't kick hard enough to cause that kind of fatigue, and I
    have a very firm grip.

Remember I said that the muzzle flash went away? Perceived size at this range is about halfway between a tennis ball and a volleyball. For these rounds, I didn't even get a golf-ball. No visible flash.

Also, the gun cycled perfectly, which it would not have in a limp wrist situation.

In retrospect, even though I thought I saw a new hole in the target, I really should have stopped on the first feeble round, cleared the weapon, and checked for a bullet stuck in the barrel. Maybe what held me back was that the RSO might have seen me looking down my barrel, but I could have informed him. Had I been wrong, and had a blocked barrel, that could have turned out ugly.

I may never know what was up with those five or so rounds, but I did learn a lesson.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post

In retrospect, even though I thought I saw a new hole in the target, I really should have stopped on the first feeble round, cleared the weapon, and checked for a bullet stuck in the barrel. Maybe what held me back was that the RSO might have seen me looking down my barrel, but I could have informed him. Had I been wrong, and had a blocked barrel, that could have turned out ugly.

I may never know what was up with those five or so rounds, but I did learn a lesson.
    This ^^^^^^^^

But more importantly .22lr bulk packs are some of the most inconsistent ammo you can get your hands on. That sort of thing wouldn't have suprised me in the least.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    But more importantly .22lr bulk packs are some of the most inconsistent ammo you can get your hands on.
    Agreed. But what bugs the crap out of me is how come I'd get 5-6 in a row of weak rounds in the middle of 105 perfect rounds. The statistician in me would expect the duds to be evenly distributed, or at least to not be immediately adjacent to one another.

Inconsistent though they may be, my first 20 rounds were the most consistent group I've shot with this gun; of 20 rounds, 19 (one flyer) were in the 10 on a NRA 50-foot target (albeit at 7 yards), and 15 were in a nickel-sized hole. (Deteriorated after that.)

I'm still kicking my ass around the block at my abysmal judgement at not investigating the first "low recoil, no flash" immediately and thoroughly. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I know better. I could have left there in an ambulance, given the symptom.

(Beaver County)

I would have been concerned if the action did not cycle. Even CCI CB's will get a bullet out of a barrel on a pistol but not cycle it. At least the 3 that I have. And those barely have any powder at all to fire the round. I've had plenty of inconsistent ammo in 22 but if the action cycled I would not have thought it to be a bad situation. This thought process being applied to 22 guns only.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

This is a stretch but you could have gotten some made with a different batch of powder. Or they could have been light loads because the powder bin was getting empty.

The way they are mass made you will never know.