Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Removing the crimp on primer pockets

Quote Originally Posted by Flash3x View Post
    I also use the CH4D swager kit. Great people to deal with, very friendly. I have swaged about 2000 5.56 cases with it and it does not show signs of wear. This kit worked great on the RORG brass that I have but didnt do such a great job on the Lake City brass. It would not open the pocket up far enough. I did try to re-set the swager for this but the cases started to push out of the shell holder, ripping the rim off. The shell holder was an RCBS. I guess the Lake City stuff is harder/thicker crimp? I ended up reaming the LC cases.
    I use the swager on the Lake city brass with no problems... however it is the 50 bmg case so it a lot bigger... I do use the CH4D case holder though...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash3x View Post
    I also use the CH4D swager kit. Great people to deal with, very friendly. I have swaged about 2000 5.56 cases with it and it does not show signs of wear. This kit worked great on the RORG brass that I have but didnt do such a great job on the Lake City brass. It would not open the pocket up far enough. I did try to re-set the swager for this but the cases started to push out of the shell holder, ripping the rim off. The shell holder was an RCBS. I guess the Lake City stuff is harder/thicker crimp? I ended up reaming the LC cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSome View Post
    I use the CH4D swager for the 50 bmg from CH4D...

I also have many of their other tools as well... They are high quality and stand behind the product(awesome customer service)

here is the link, its under Priming tools

http://www.ch4d.com/

a fraction of the cost.. since you can use your existing press..

I have used the 50 bmg swager on 5,000 plus cases and it shows no signs of use....
    Can either one of you advise what company, size or number shell holder you use, with this swager? Also how is it holding up? I've read the complaints about the RCBS swaging tool rod bending. I want to know if there are any problems with this unit. I do have a Dillon swager which I have set up for small primers (223/5.56), but once in a while, I want something to use to swage a small amount of 7.62 brass, and I don't want to bother changing out the Dillon swage bar to the larger one, knowing I just have to shortly change it back again.

Guys, I know this is an old post. I just want to get some information, regarding the CHD4 swager, good or bad. I found this post when I googled the CH4D swager, personally, I think this thread belongs in the reloading section.

(Clearfield County)

You could try googling stuff or just starting a new thread before necromancing a post. One of the guys you're asking hasn't been on since 11/18, and the other since 2013.

(Lehigh County)

If you're looking for something inexpensive I use this. It takes out the crimp and forms a perfect pocket angle with 3-4 turns. It's fat enough so that it's not a big strain on your fingers and is easy to hold and twist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    NRA Life Member

(Fayette County)

Lol this sure is an old thread!

Ranger, the C4HD swagger is holding up just fine. I’ve slacked off using it over the years but guessing I have done 6k to 7k casings with it of various brands of brass. That’s probably not a lot compared to others but I got my stockpile built up and stopped reloading much 5.56. It’s a solid piece of equipment and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again.

As far as the shell holder, I just kept using the RCBS. If I had brass that was “too hard”, I would use an RCBS reamer chucked up in a cordless drill. Works great and is probably faster than the swagger is.

The reamer I use is the same one oldengineer linked to above. I would chuck it up on the “pin” that is on the side for deburring the outside of the case mouth.
    Last edited by Flash3x; April 25th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    You could try googling stuff or just starting a new thread before necromancing a post. One of the guys you're asking hasn't been on since 11/18, and the other since 2013.
    raxar -If you'll read my post, I did say I knew this was an old thread. I also said that I did google the CH4D swager for information, and it gave me a link for this post. Boy, you guys are real touchy about reincarnating an old post.
    That said, my powers of necromancing must be pretty good, one of the guys I asked responded. BTW I haven't been on for a while too, life happens, you deal with it, and come here when you have time. Sometimes, I was just reading without posting.

If I started a new thread as you suggested, regarding the CH4D swager, I'm sure someone would have said: "This was discussed previously, why are you bringing this up again?". So how do I make you "Grand Members" happy?

So, if I offended you with my curiosity and "magic powers", I apologize.
    Last edited by OldSchoolRanger; April 25th, 2019 at 09:44 PM.

Fash3x - Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
    raxar -If you'll read my post, I did say I knew this was an old thread. I also said that I did google the CH4D swager for information, and it gave me a link for this post. Boy, you guys are real touchy about reincarnating an old post.
    That said, my powers of necromancing must be pretty good, one of the guys I asked responded. BTW I haven't been on for a while too, life happens, you deal with it, and come here when you have time. Sometimes, I was just reading without posting.

If I started a new thread as you suggested, regarding the CH4D swager, I'm sure someone would have said: "This was discussed previously, why are you bringing this up again?". So how do I make you "Grand Members" happy?

So, if I offended you with my curiosity and "magic powers", I apologize.
    You are definately are the master necromancer 😁

I love to reload and I find it refreshing to see reloading and actual gun talk on this site. even if they are older posts. I haven't been a member here very long and have gotten some good info from some of these older pists.

Some web sites that have quite a bit of active loading discussion are cast boolits, the high road and the firing line.

(Allegheny County)

By the way I use a dillon super swage to decrimp. was at it quite awhile last night finally working through some buckets of 5.56 that have been gathering dust.

De crimping is a pain, but when loading on my 650 or any progressive, I find it the most important prep item to prevent interuprions in the process.

I use the super swage and check every primer pocket with a gauge.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=100-015-613

Once I get them right I mark my case heads with a sharpie so I know it has been prepped correctly when they get mixed up with range pick ups .

(Tioga County)

I hate removing primer crimps. I've done it with a Lyman prep tool shaving away the crimp and also with the RCBS press mounted tool. Haven't really found anything yet I like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast