Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Removing the crimp on primer pockets

While this topic is up for discussion...I have a compact metal lathe with a mill on top of it. I'm thinking that a I should be able to use it to clean up primer crimps with a jig under the mill and having the depth set just right so I can run through them quickly and easily. I am just getting ready to get started in reloading so it's all new to me, does this sound like a viable maneuver?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Centre County)

Sounds viable just make sure you don't enlarge the primer pockets, you want to just take the crimp off.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Yes, I know this is Necro but it turned into a decent resurrected conversation............

I used to remove the crimp with one of those hand held deburring tools but I could never get the exact amount off. Some primer pockets were too light and some looked like a funnel. I started using the RCBS pocket swager (<$40) and have not looked back. It takes a little setting up to get the right amount of swage but then you can crank them out. I have used it on thousands of cases and you only have to do it once.

I prefer swaging to reaming. Theoretically it leaves more "meat" on the case and it gives very consistent results. Especially if you are using the same headstamp.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    You are definately are the master necromancer ��

I love to reload and I find it refreshing to see reloading and actual gun talk on this site. even if they are older posts. I haven't been a member here very long and have gotten some good info from some of these older pists. Some web sites that have quite a bit of active loading discussion are cast boolits, the high road and the firing line.
    Duke,

I've been reloading for years, I also have a Dillon Super swage, but, I guess I get kinda of lazy every now and then. When I come by 20 - 40something rounds of 308 Win., I don't want to bother changing the SR swage, to the LR swage on the Dilllon, since, I'll just have to change it back to the SR swage very shortly after. So I was looking for an alternative. Buying another Dillon swage was not an option, like I did when I bought an additional RCBS hand priming tool (one for large rifle, and one for small rifle). I was researching the RCBS Primer pocket Swage combo, but when I found out about the CH4D Swager, I wanted to know more about it. So, I Googled it, which led to this thread.

I also love to reload, and read up on what others use, and do. I also do a lot of reading of the older posts for information, "Brick" turned me onto a fantastic site for reloading, go to the reloading section, and read the "5.56 Reloading" thread. See post #20 for the link. Enjoy!

Thanks again Brick!

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Yes, I know this is Necro but it turned into a decent resurrected conversation............

I used to remove the crimp with one of those hand held deburring tools but I could never get the exact amount off. Some primer pockets were too light and some looked like a funnel. I started using the RCBS pocket swager (<$40) and have not looked back. It takes a little setting up to get the right amount of swage but then you can crank them out. I have used it on thousands of cases and you only have to do it once.

I prefer swaging to reaming. Theoretically it leaves more "meat" on the case and it gives very consistent results. Especially if you are using the same headstamp.
    Delkal - When I did some research on the RCBS pocket swager, (you mean this one, correct? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...swager-combo-2), I read a few complaints about the rod bending. Did you have any such problems?

Duke - Just in case you don't know, there is a special "Ammunition & Reloading" section. It's a subsection of the Firearms section, click on Firearms, then look for the reloading section. It took me a while to find it too.

I pulled the cutter from a Hornady tool and use it in an electric screwdriver. Cuts a nice radius on the corner and removes all crimp. The Dillon tool works , but the results are ugly IMO.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I pulled the cutter from a Hornady tool and use it in an electric screwdriver. Cuts a nice radius on the corner and removes all crimp. The Dillon tool works , but the results are ugly IMO.
    Do you need a jig to hold them or can you just use your fingers?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
    Delkal - When I did some research on the RCBS pocket swager, (you mean this one, correct? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...swager-combo-2), I read a few complaints about the rod bending. Did you have any such problems?
    Pretty sure this is the exact one. It has one rod for 223 and one for 308 cases. I can not see how you can bend the steel rod unless you are doing something very wrong or applying way too much pressure. It is just a guide that only engages with the last 1/4 inch (or less) of the stroke. I don't remember having to use much pressure to swage the little crimp out (much less pressure than resizing a case) so it should not bend. If it does you are massively overswaging or forcing something.

It has been years since I used mine but I did thousands of cases at the time. I do remember different headstamps/ cases might need a little more or less swaging. But I assume it is that way for all swagers giving the different internal dimensions of different cases.

(Bucks County)

If you do any volume of cases, you might want to get something like the Lyman Case Prep Xpress. Brownells has them on sale for $127.99, and I frequently see them on sale.

This thing has stations for reaming primer pockets, uniform and clean primer pockets, and chamfer case necks. You can move a lot of brass in an hour.

Before this, I've used the hand reamer, graduated to a reamer chucked in a drill press, and finally decided my time and hands and avoiding carpal tunnel were worth the investment.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast