Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooting schools in PA?

Greetings all.

I recently purchasd a Beretta Onyx Pro and was interested in taking some formal classes on trap/sporting clays shooting as a means of improving my pheasant hunting skills. I don't seem to find any listings for PA. I found a couple of places that will do individual instruction (LVSC & Wing Pointe), but that's not what I'm looking for.

Is there anyone in PA or a nearby state that does a soup-to-nuts class on clays shooting?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Shooting schools in PA?

The range I belong to, the Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club, has trap clinics every wednesday evening from May-September. It is for range members only. I'm sure there are gun clubs closer to you that offer the same kind of thing.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I joined Fleetwood Fish and Game late last year. They do a monthly trap shoot, but don't put on any clinics or classes, at least none that I have seen posted. I wanted some instruction before taking part in the shoots and possibly looking dumber than I am already .

It's shame these clubs don't do public classes. It would be a great way to boost membership and get more people interested in clays.

(Armstrong County)

I you were not so far away I'd be glad to spend a couple hours with you....... that goes for anyone on the forum. I'll do the first one free!

NSSA certified shotgun sports shooting instructor.

It's all about gun fit.

Maybe .............. Setup a clinic of 5 people and cover travel expenses, we might be able to work something out!
    Last edited by Big Dog; February 24th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks for the offer. I would certainly consider it. You're about a four hour drive away, which is not a big deal to me. I'd be willing to do it over a weekend. How do you normally schedule instruction time?

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I would certainly consider it. You're about a four hour drive away, which is not a big deal to me. I'd be willing to do it over a weekend. How do you normally schedule instruction time?
    Weekends work ............ PM sent!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Berks County)

Am I the only one that read the title to this thread a different way? I thought you wanted advice on shooting up schools... glad you didn't.

(Delaware County)

I know the West Chester gun club has a guy that comes and has a three day class on Trap shooting he is one of only a handful of people that has shot 300 straight at the grand in Ohio 100 16yard 100 handicap and 100 doubles. Not to sure how far away you are but I would look into it I used to work there when I was 17 and I pulled for his class so it was like I got a free class myself and it was really informative.

(Allegheny County)

Instruction is one thing, yes you'll get the basics and more information than you can remember or adapt to. And you may not like what you learn because when it comes to certain clay shooting sports the methods and philosophies are different than the field use of a shotgun. Once you get the basics you'll need to put about 2,000 rounds through that gun (in practice sessions) before you can start to realize and maintain improvements in your shooting abilities. Another option is to join a club that has regular clay practice. The old timers are usually more than happy to help out a beginner. you'll need to attend the practices regularly in order to improve and you will plateau many times on you way to your goals. Maintain through these plateau's and you'll begin to show improvement again, eventually.
    Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

There are quite a few clubs that do trap shoots open to the public on the weekends. Cocalico Sportsmen (Denver, PA) does trap shoots twice a week...it's only $20 to join.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast