Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Moving to Philadelphia, tell were NOT TO LIVE!

Hi guys,

Finanlly leaving the People's Republic of Illinois, got a job in Cherry Hill, NJ...but there is no way I am living in NJ.

So, thinking of renting a one bedroom appartement in Philadelphia, will take the Franklin bridge every morning. Please tell me what areas of town to avoid.

Also, I have carry permits both from FL and UT, will they be valid until I get my PA one, even if I am living in Philadelphia....With regards to NJ, commuting there every day, can I put my gun unloaded in locked container in the trunk?

Thanks,
    Last edited by dvc4you; June 24th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Moving to Philadelphia, tell were NOT TO LIVE!

Do not try to bring your gun into N.J.

As far as where not to live in Philly, there are areas in South Philly and Centre City that are fairly safe. So are some parts of the Northeast. I would stay away from west,north, and southwest. If you give a location you have interest in it will be easier to let you know what type of neighborhood it is.

Do not try to bring your gun into N.J.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by dvc4you View Post
    Hi guys,

Finanlly leaving the People's Republic of Illinois, got a job in Cherry Hill, NJ...but there is no way I am living in NJ.

So, thinking of renting a one bedroom appartement in Philadelphia, will take the Franklin bridge every morning. Please tell me what areas of town to avoid.

Also, I have carry permits both from FL and UT, will they be valid until I get my PA one, even if I am living in Philadelphia....

Thanks,
    Philadelphia. That is the neighborhood you want to avoid.

But to be a little more serious about your question, North Philly, West Philly are to avoided at all costs. Will you be driving to your new job or taking public transportation? I ask because just slightly north of Philly is Bensalem. You will have the same basic public transportation but a less conjested area with a lot less noise. Yet the bridge to NJ is still close, the Tacony-Palmyra will lead you to Cherry Hill.

The area near the BF is commonly know as Olde Towne and can be expensive. Not far from there is Fishtown, on a map Girard Ave. cuts right through it. The area isn't known for it's bucolic setting but in the last few years the area has been growing in popularity with younger buyers due to the low cost yet easy access to the downtown area where so many work. It's not as bad as it once was.....but that is relative. It's still not exactly clean and safe to leave your doors unlocked.....nor let down your guard.

For on-the-cheap look at the Tacony/Bridesburg neighborhoods. But counter what you see in rents with the fact your car insurance is going to be crazy high. Where I live in Bucks County (just north of Philly) I pay 192.00 a month for full coverage on two vehicles. It'll be 2-3 times that much for basic liability in Philly.

I'm sure others will come along with more, maybe even more accurate, information. Your also going to see a lot of Philly bashing...deservedly so in my opinion. I grew up in Philly so I get the rightful option of not liking the city based on experience. But like anywhere, it has it's good side and bad side. While not the Sodom and Gomorrah some make it out to be, it can be an unpleasant and hostile enviroment. Then again, so can the fabled Poconos, particularly during tourist season.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Oh yeah....and don't take a gun to NJ. Unless you like official repression and prison rape.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Hi guys,

With regards to NJ, commuting there every day, can I put my gun unloaded in locked container in the trunk?

Thanks,
    Not legally, you would be breaking the law and putting yourself in a bad situation if caught with the gun.

(Northampton County)

With regards to NJ, commuting there every day, can I put my gun unloaded in locked container in the trunk?
    I believe that is a 2nd degree crime, 5-10 years in a Jersey jail. There is no way you can do it.

(Delaware County)

Try to stay outside of Philly. Getting an LTCF is nothing but a hassle in there. Bucks County is much easier and the commute to Cherry Hill is not really that bad.

DO NOT BRING YOUR WEAPON INTO NEW JERSEY!!!!!!

Oh,,,,, some already told you that,,,,
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Repeat: Do not try to bring your gun to N.J.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Northampton County)

Getting LTCF is certainly more of a hassle in Philly (so I hear) but you'll still get it. I therefore wouldn't use that reason to stay out of Philly if it substantially increased cost of living or time of commute. There are better reasons to stay out of Philly

(Delaware County)

References may shoot you down, as you'll have none. They don't need much reason to do that.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast