Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altra Firearms

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Altra Firearms

I thought I'd update since the last I had heard of anything online was from last year.

When I did a google search it appeared they had some issues late last year as one of their primary employees had apparently stolen 80 grand and a boatload of guns so I wondered what impact that would have or even if they would still be open.

I figured I'd take a chance on driving out there as the website was still up.

I've seen in the past people make references to Deliverance. Yes it's out in the boonies but typical PA rolling countryside with farms and not far off I-80, maybe 10 minutes or so. The driveway is graveled and a little rough but unless your car is real low to the ground, you should be able to make it. I wouldn't take your Ferrari or Lambo there in other words.

It's a small shop but plenty in it. Prices I would say are MSRP "retail". No outrageous pricing but no bargains either. Customer service was good and helpful. They seemed to have a steady stream of customers through the door.

For semi auto rifles they've got some Tavors, Steyr AUGs, FN SCARs, plenty of ARs. They carry LWRC and don't seem to have a lot of Colts or Sigs, but they seem to like Spikes and I think I saw some other brands like Bravo Company. There were plenty of AK's. Some Maadi's built on Nodak Spud receivers for around $1000. Plenty of WASR's for around $600-$700. I think I saw some Yugo PAP's but don't quote me on it.

The milsurp selection was pretty well cleaned out except for plenty of Mosins. I'm not a Mosin fan so I did not inspect them closely or look at prices but they looked nicer than any Mosins I have seen lately.

There was a decent selection of pistols. Prices I would say were typical.

Ammo wasn't bad on price but pistol ammo was high.

If you are into these sort of guns and are in the area I would certainly check them out and see if they have anything you like.

Great selection and great guys running the shop but a bit over priced. $700 for a WASR 10 is high when they can be found for $499 .

Do they have any night vision or thermal?

(Elk County)

Stopped at Altra recently on a Saturday and it was packed with customers and product, as long as you want your product in black. Dozens of ARs and black handguns. Prices at or near MSRP, but that is how Altra rolls, historically.

Staff very helpful. I had to wait a bit for a free salesperson, but that was understandable. I looked at a couple handguns, and a reproduction 1894 Winchester carbine in 44 Magnum. The Chiappa carbine was tagged at almost $1400, which is MSRP. I couldn't check online pricing because of "no service" on my phone, but I recalled Chiappa's price for that model. In handling the gun, the left side of the color case hardened receiver felt rough, and low-angle light from my pocket Streamlight revealed half the receiver covered in rust freckling. Handed it back and the clerk took it to the back room.

Customers making gun purchases were VERY backed up, and the reason for it is one of the biggest problems with Altra. There's one guy doing PICS calls, and he calls, not uses E-PICS on a computer. So if a customer gets a PICS operator, that Altra PICS guy is on hold for 20 mins to 2 hours, and the rest of the customers wait. One customer said he filled out his forms at 1130, and it was almost 1500 when we spoke. It looked as if he would need to come back the following week as they close at 1700. But, it's their system, so . . .

I'm fairly certain that Altra is running a cell phone jammer, because I have service immediately off the property and on a square of the roads surrounding the site, and I have never seen an employee use a personal cell phone to check time or for messages. No proof, but loads of circumstantial evidence from observations during many visits, and driving a "box" of side roads around their site as close as I could on my cell's GPS. But, private property, I guess they can prevent cell use if the want.

PS: Went to Elk Co Ammo & Arms and saw an identical 16" Chiappa 92 Carbine in 44 Magnun minus the rust tagged at just under $1100.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Altra is running a cell phone jammer, because I have service immediately off the property and on a square of the roads surrounding the site, and I have never seen an employee use a personal cell phone to check time or for messages. No proof, but loads of circumstantial evidence from observations during many visits, and driving a "box" of side roads around their site as close as I could on my cell's GPS. But, private property, I guess they can prevent cell use if the want.

PS: Went to Elk Co Ammo & Arms and saw an identical 16" Chiappa 92 Carbine in 44 Magnun minus the rust tagged at just under $1100.

Noah

Legally they cant use a cell phone jammer.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement

Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, and Global Positioning Systems (GPS).

Jamming Prohibited

Signal jamming devices can prevent you and others from making 9-1-1 and other emergency calls and pose serious risks to public safety communications, as well as interfere with other forms of day-to-day communications.

The use of a phone jammer, GPS blocker, or other signal jamming device designed to intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications is a violation of federal law. There are no exemptions for use within a business, classroom, residence, or vehicle. Local law enforcement agencies do not have independent authority to use jamming equipment; in certain limited exceptions use by Federal law enforcement agencies is authorized in accordance with applicable statutes.

It is also unlawful to advertise, sell, distribute, import, or otherwise market jamming devices to consumers in the United States.

The use or marketing of a jammer in the United States may subject you to substantial monetary penalties, seizure of the unlawful equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment.

What to do if You Believe Authorized Communications are Being Jammed

(Allegheny County)

Altra is an underground bunker with an entryway of metal shipping containers. No cell signal is more likely a result of the construction. I don't have any affiliation with Altra but the lack of cell service has a reasonable explanation.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Sounds like a great place. However, once you said pop, I knew the place was too far away.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

This was a few years ago....

And this....

I watched the two videos, and it just might be worth the ride, or flight. The ride is five hours and five minutes. Maybe Walleye will want to go on a trip.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast