Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default PSP handgun registration question.

When you buy a handgun does PSP retain a copy of the paperwork with serial # and your name, address, etc? What is the purpose of them retaining this information and how is it different the a flat out gun registration? Are limited to how they can use or access this info?
    The reason I'm asking. I was flipping through TV channels last night and caught an episode that took place in PA. I know not everything on TV is true or accurate.
    Basically the situation was that someone was shot with a handgun, PSP didn't have any suspects so they ran known associates against the handgun registration to see if anyone owned that particular caliber to find the suspect.
    I always thought a registration was unconstitutional or using there list in that matter was a no go.
    Just curious.
    Season 7, ep 36 around the 9min mark.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: PSP handgun registration question.

Yes, there is a non-registry registry in PA.
    It has been discussed at length many times in the forum.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Centre County)

The PSP does retain the paperwork on the sale of a handgun until it is placed in the sales database. Right now that is taking upwards to 1 1/2 YEARS. The database is not supposed to be used in the way you relate in your post but there are certain PD's that disregard the laws dealing with the database and do use it as a defacto registry.

It is different than a full on registry as not all the firearms in the state are in the database. The database is limited to what PA considers "firearms" which are handguns (pistols and revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches), short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns or a firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches (think Thompson Contender with a 16" barrel).

It looks like you are fairly new here so I will invite you to stop by my shop in Lemont if you would like to talk firearms. I will send you a PM with my address and the shop phone number. Local people with questions about firearms and what can be done (or not) here in PA are always welcome to stop by or give me a call.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; March 14th, 2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum9 View Post
    When you buy a handgun does PSP retain a copy of the paperwork with serial # and your name, address, etc? What is the purpose of them retaining this information and how is it different the a flat out gun registration? Are limited to how they can use or access this info?
    The reason I'm asking. I was flipping through TV channels last night and caught an episode that took place in PA. I know not everything on TV is true or accurate.
    Basically the situation was that someone was shot with a handgun, PSP didn't have any suspects so they ran known associates against the handgun registration to see if anyone owned that particular caliber to find the suspect.
    I always thought a registration was unconstitutional or using there list in that matter was a no go.
    Just curious.
    Season 7, ep 36 around the 9min mark.
    Episode of what. You never name the show. Funny you name the season, the episode and the time.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Yes, the PSP retains a copy of the transaction. Trust me, I have knowledge of this. As for the length they can keep it.... I don't know. What do you mean 'caught an episode?' of what? hollywood created crap? None of it is real, and I suggest learning to think for yourself if that is the case.