Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911

(Bucks County)

Default Ruger SR1911

Ok folks, give me your opinions! I have had the itch for a 1911 for a very long time. I own two Glock 45s but never the 1911. To understand my perspective let me say that, thanks to family memebers, i have had the pleasure to shoot three over the years, a Colt Gold Cup, a Kimber (not sure what model) and most recently a Wilson CQB. So i know a thing or two about the higher end offerings. Here's the thing, I will never pay $ 2500 or anything in that ball park for a single firearm. My big brother, who owns the CQB, has a new Sig 210 on order. Me, i am mostly Ruger and Glock. Shooting my Ruger P85 yesterday at the range reminded me why I love Ruger. What Rugers might lack in finesse and absolute accuracy they make up, in my opinion, in ruggedness and reliability.

So, the SR1911 looks like the one for me. Price point is important. And I am not one to swap out more than sights on a gun. Although I recently ventured into an after market barrel for my G21.

Am I missing anything out there? I have often looked at the entry level Springfields but have zero exposure to them. I also have to say I love the looks of the Ruger. I have read several post by members advising an RIA or like but I like the "made in USA" aspect to Ruger as well. I am looking for a reliable firearm that does not have to be the bell of the block.

Ok, talk me into another one or ask me why I don' t have one on order already.

Thanks,
    Dave

(Pike County)

Default Re: Ruger SR1911

If you want cheap, well made and American look no further than the Remington R1. The blued models can be had for $600 and the Stainless go for $700. I like the SR1911 a little more but they're still so hard to find.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Luzerne County)

Many wonder why all us "old timers" like the 1911 type. Well, it is reliable, and you can take it apart and togther again with any tools. This is not just "field strip" but apart, to pieces, without any tools but a little stick or twig to push in the firing pin. From there the parts themselves are the "tools". Try that with any other handgun. Of cource this applies to only the "older" style guns. About 1991 Colt added a safety to there 1911. Some said that if you droped it from the top of a three story building and it landed on the hammer it would go off. So they put in a firing pin block system. If you take out the firing pin and extractor on any of the "safe" type you will see that the extractor has this "loop" in its shape. It is much weaker than the original and the gun can not be taken down without tools because of all the extra parts (little pins and springs to get lost). The Remington and the Ruger have this system. The 1911 was designed as a real "end of the world" war handgun. All of the new improvements may make it more accurate and look better but the old original is hard to beat. This may may be why any older Colt will still bring big money. If you want to look cool and impress everyone get one of the new wizz bang models but if you want a real dependible hand gun look for a older Colt or one of the WWII military types.

(Lancaster County)

I'd like to get the Ruger when prices level out and are easier to come by. It's a real pretty looking 1911.

I believe everyone building sub $800 1911's at this point have things pretty much figured out. SA are not totally built in US, but have forged slide and frame. Rem. and Ruger made in US, but have cast frames (this is not an issue as far as durability, but cast, just the same). Taurus is all forged, full checkering (no one else has this at that price point), and the best out of the box triggers of the lot, but made in Brazil with not the best rep. RIA have cast frames and built in Asia, but have a solid rep; known for not feeding HP's well out of the box. A friend of mine asked me a few days ago which 1911 he should get and I told him to get the one he likes the best; it is a coin toss, anymore.

BTW, every 1911 you've mentioned has very good reviews on their 1911's of late. You'd be doing good with any you choose, IMO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Many wonder why all us "old timers" like the 1911 type. Well, it is reliable, and you can take it apart and togther again with any tools. This is not just "field strip" but apart, to pieces, without any tools but a little stick or twig to push in the firing pin. From there the parts themselves are the "tools". Try that with any other handgun. Of cource this applies to only the "older" style guns. About 1991 Colt added a safety to there 1911. Some said that if you dropped it from the top of a three story building and it landed on the hammer it would go off. So they put in a firing pin block system. If you take out the firing pin and extractor on any of the "safe" type you will see that the extractor has this "loop" in its shape. It is much weaker than the original and the gun can not be taken down without tools because of all the extra parts (little pins and springs to get lost). The Remington and the Ruger have this system. The 1911 was designed as a real "end of the world" war handgun. All of the new improvements may make it more accurate and look better but the old original is hard to beat. This may may be why any older Colt will still bring big money. If you want to look cool and impress everyone get one of the new wizz bang models but if you want a real dependable hand gun look for a older Colt or one of the WWII military types.
    With all do respect while I will agree with 50% of your observation, the 1911A1 will discharge if dropped from 4' high, as well documented by Drake Oldham, from Drakes Gun Works.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...2828#Post92828

And while the Remington is fitted with the firing pin safety as introduce by Colt in their model 80 series, the Rugar SR1911 does not have the firing pin safety, but is a 1911A1 rendition.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    BTW, every 1911 you've mentioned has very good reviews on their 1911's of late. You'd be doing good with any you choose, IMO.
    Oh yea, the SA milspec, RIA, and the SR do not have firing pin safeties. Remington and Taurus 1911's have the safety. It's arbitrary as to whether or not it is an advange to have the FPS. Most feel that it is a disadvantage when trying to eliminate all of the creep (or stacking) from a 1911 trigger. All 8 of my 1911's have the safety and all have tuned triggers. None have any creep. It's just a few more small surfaces that have to be polished.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

i'm not a fan of SR1911.
    Everywhere you look, people talks about how real 1911 needs to be forged frame and slide. But noone seems to care about the fact SR1911 is cast frame and slide. Not that thats a bad thing. My RIA is cast, and it has not failed me yet.
    But for the price SR1911 is going for, you can get a Springfield MilSpec(or Loaded, since I've seen SR1911 priced over $800 once...), which is Forged frame and slide. With lifetime warantee from one of best in buisness.

I was not impressed by the one example of SR1911 I had in my hand. It wasn't a bad gun. Just that I found nothing that made it anything better then the other 1911's that are available in the similer price range, such as SA MilSPec, Remington R1(I did not care for their trigger feel OOB, and letters which used on slide), Taurus PT1911, or RIA. But for some reason or another, people makes it sounds like SR1911 is like the greatest thing ever became available next to box of cockie, and I just dont see it.

But if your Ruger fan, and hooked on American made firearm, then I don't see any reasons not to get one.
    Last edited by Mity2; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Butler County)

I also keep hearing about RIA. They have one used at a gun shop near me for about $475. Its a 4 inch model. I have a kimber, so Im not looking for another one (yet), but I would entertain the RIA due to price

(Wyoming County)

I was in Shyda's in Lebanon Thursday and they had a SR1911 in the case for $629. Looked good, but I didnt handle it for fear my credit card would pop out of my wallet.....

I have been going down the want/need a 1911 and after seeing one it would be my pick over a RIA if for nothing else but resale. But I wouldn't pay more than $650 for one either. All about the best buy for the $.

LMMV

Ty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast