Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Road trip to Texas

Hey guys in two weeks I'm taking a road trip to Texas cause my best friend is moving down there so we are driving down there and I'm taking plan back home. So my question is could a drive all the way to Texas carrying my gun and could I go on the plan with my job not as a carry on or me Actually carrying it cause I no that would be a no haha. I just wanna see if I can carry on te road trip and how would I get back on a plan with my gun. Just wanna bring a gun cause it's just me and my friend are going to be allowe on the open road so would like that extra protected incase anything happens since we are so far away from home and don't wanna end up on the news dead or missing!

Default Re: Road trip to Texas

Check out the second last post on this page
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/681...s-fly-gun.html

Also www.handgunlaw.us

I have found the information at handgunlaw to be both more up-to-date and more correct than the information at usacarry.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys so far the information given is great my second question of not already posted in the links how do I find what each state allows the type of ammo in the gun.

(Pike County)

When you check your gun with the airline, say I would like to declare a firearm. Just don't sceam out "I HAVE A GUN!." The DHS doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyssj13 View Post
    Thanks guys so far the information given is great my second question of not already posted in the links how do I find what each state allows the type of ammo in the gun.
    As far as I know, New Jersey is the only state that doesn't allow private citizens to carry "evil" hollow point ammo. Plan a route that doesn't go through New Jersey and I believe you're okay.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    As far as I know, New Jersey is the only state that doesn't allow private citizens to carry "evil" hollow point ammo. Plan a route that doesn't go through New Jersey and I believe you're okay.
    I live in Philadelphia Pa I will not need or be traveling thur or near New Jersey haha so I'm safe on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    False. You can own and carry(not in a firearm) HP ammo to and from the range and place of purchase and in your home and on your property.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    False. You can own and carry(not in a firearm) HP ammo to and from the range and place of purchase and in your home and on your property.
    I specifically wrote "carry" because I fully understand that you can "possess" HP ammo in NJ. But moving it from the home to a range in a box is not "carrying" it, it's "transporting" it. My point was that the commoners in NJ, even those chosen few who manage to obtain a carry permit, cannot carry HP ammo in their weapon, on their person. (Which is what we customarily mean when we talk about "carry" of firearms.)

Quote Originally Posted by mannyssj13 View Post
    I live in Philadelphia Pa I will not need or be traveling thur or near New Jersey haha so I'm safe on that part.
    Your profile shows that you live in Philadelphia, so I knew that. Since I used to live in Philadelphia, I know that the New Jersey Turnpike is right across the river and that a route from Philadelphia could easily pass across the Walt Whitman Bridge into New Jersey and then south before heading west.

I also understand that from Philadelphia it's easy to plot several routes that would not pass through New Jersey, so as long as you understand the reason for doing so, you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast