Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: New Gun Shop in Millcreek

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    Any AR/AK's? Going home to Warren county so I won't be too far from there

NO AK's but they did have a few AR's. I know they did have a Stag, not sure on the other models. If you are looking for something specific there are a few other local shops that stock plenty of AR's and AK's.

I finally got a chance to visit this shop this past Saturday, 7/7. Wow!! Very nice store. I talked with the owner. Very nice guy. Prices are in line. I wish them the best of luck.

(Erie County)

called to see if they had any serpa holsters. he would order for me but none in stock
    live to ride

(Erie County)

Stopped by recently, they have ar's and ak's now. Also a nice 12guage saiga with drum clip, and I could have sworn I saw some serpa holsters.

(Crawford County)

Stopped by today. Fair selection on handguns, couple rifles and shotguns. Very nice guys to deal with. I would say they have a nice niche to deal with. Place was busy the entire half hr I was in there.
    Male RN

(Erie County)

once everything goes through its process ill have to make sure to stop in and see what its like

(Erie County)

Very nice shop, and and the owner seams knowledgeable. Prices seam pretty high..Saiga 12 there with drum is marked at 850 I believe. I went to Keystone and bought the same gun without the drum for 620..drum mags are readily available from many online retailers for about 80-100.
    Owner was nice enough but when I asked if he could do any better on price he said no and that it was priced low already and that they fly off the shelves

(Erie County)

Stopped in on Friday. Sort of small, not a large selection of rifles/shotguns but might have what you're looking for. Nice selection of handguns, with decent prices on 1911's. 1000rnd case of Lake City Xm193 for $350, that's a good price, along with some other "sale" ammo on a table right inside the door.
    Walls have holsters, and other accessories, hanging.
    Place was clean and neat, and has room for more items.
    I didn't get to talk with the counter person, as he was negotiating with a customer, considering selling a pistol.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Erie County)

Write up in today's Erie Times Newspaper.
    3 friends launch gun shop in Erie
    By JIM MARTIN, Erie Times-News
    jim.martin@timesnews.com
    Advertisement

Friends and fellow gun enthusiasts Dave Wurst, Tim Parker and Mike Okel always figured they would eventually open a gun store of their own.

But eventually came sooner than any of them expected.

Idle chatter, conversations they would have at gun shows, turned into something more serious in January when Wurst learned that he was going to be downsized.

Along with his partners, both of whom owned businesses of their own, earlier this year Wurst joined about one third of one percent of adult Americans who open a new business each month.

After slowing in 2010, that rate remains near the highest level of the past 16 years, according to the Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity.

On June 11, Wurst and his partners opened Presque Isle Gun Shop in what had been an auto-parts store at 2817 W. 23rd St.

The store sells new and used handguns, rifles, shotguns and black powder guns, as well as ammunition, shooting supplies, tin signs and gun-related collectibles.

Wurst, who manages the shop, said he quickly found there's more to launching a new business than initially met the eye.

"It was a very unnerving undertaking. There's a lot of overhead," he said. "There are certain requirements for gun shops -- motion sensors, central alarm, rolldown windows over the glass. It's all good things, but it all costs money."

So far, however, the partners see their investment paying dividends.

Hunting season is bound to help, but Parker thinks the political season has helped even more.

He said there's always uncertainty about the future of gun ownership in the run-up to a presidential election. The store has been reaping the benefits as gunowners scramble to acquire new firearms.

A majority of the sales have been for self-defense firearms, he said.

For Presque Isle Gun Shop, the challenge is to compete against well-funded national retailers, with big advertising budgets and massive buying power.

The owners say they approach that challenge from a couple directions.

Parker demonstrated one approach when a customer walked into the store recently to browse the shelves. Even though Parker doesn't work behind the counter often, he remembered that the customer had been looking for a .22-caliber revolver and pulled a newly acquired one out to show him.

Okel looks at geography as he sizes up what the store has to offer.

"You are never all things to all people. What we are trying to do is provide a location in a part of Millcreek (Township) that was underserved."

Eventually, the three partners hope to fill what they see as another need. There's space in their building for an indoor shooting range and they hope to eventually build one.

For now, the three partners say they're trying to build the business.

"I think what we want to do is to provide the service that people can come into the shop and expect to get their needs met," Okel said. "We are going to spend some time with them and try to make the sale enjoyable."

Wurst said he didn't expect to find himself in this position, but said he's happy for the opportunity.

"We were going to do this in our retirement," he said. "We decided to accelerate our plan a little bit."

Like any new business, Presque Isle Gun Shop faces challenging odds. Studies show about a third of all new businesses fail within the first two years.

Parker said a combination of their collective experience and determination has all three partners convinced their business will have staying power.

"It's going to succeed," he said. "It's not as if we did this not to succeed. We will make sure it moves forward."
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Nice write up in the paper. Hope they do well!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast