Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My interesting day at Wicen's

Well, I decided to take my Brother-in-law for a trip to Wicen's range today. He's been to the pistol range with me before but, this was his first time shooting a rifle. I was shooting my Bushmaster and he was using my Mosin. We were the only 2 people there I guess due to the weather. After about 45 minutes to an hour when the one range master urgently called a cease fire. They received a phone call from a neighbor that a bullet had come through their roof. We were called inside and asked to wait the arrival of the police, which we did. The police showed up about 20 minutes later and were asking us how this could've happened, they had the round that came through the roof and I can say it was from my Mosin.

Now personally, I knew my Brother-in-law was shooting a bit high at first and helped him correct his sight of the target on 2 occasions. But, in no way,shape or form did I think he was shooting over the backstop and could hit someone's house, if I did I would've told him to aim a lot lower. After was all said and done, the police took my Mosin, which I can understand, they gave me a receipt for it and told me they'll call me when I can pick it up.

What I'm worried about is if somehow my LTCF could be revoked for this. No one was hurt and the only damage that was done was a hole in their shingle and a small hole in the drywall.

The owners of Wicen's are worried about being shut down, and I'd feel horrible if that happens.

What do you guys think could happen? Should I worry about my LTCF being revoked? My Brother-in-law is willing to pay for the damages.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: My interesting day at Wicen's

wows thats tough situation there.... I dont think that ur LTCF will be revoked, after all you didnt really do anything... now how do they know for sure that the round came from your rifle? Are those cops ballistics experts? Im glad no one was injured but i dont think you really did anything wrong, now if the police wanna do something to your brother in law.....i cant speculate

(Bucks County)

Hey Philly.
    What time did this happen; I stopped at Wicens around 1:00 on saturday. I didn't shoot, just stopped by to see whats was going on.

(Philadelphia County)

It happened around 4:00pm. We were the only two there luckily. By the looks of it it did come from the Mosin, I admit that. Although it is possible it could've come from a different rifle, but that's highly unlikely. It was either from my AR15 or Mosin Nagant since we were the only 2 shooters at that time, and it wasn't a .223 sized round.

(Luzerne County)

Is there an issue with the backstop?

(Berks County)

Wicen's is indeed in danger of being shut down, and the residents in the area are actively involved. We had a group shoot there in the summer, and they were constantly yelling at people to keep their muzzles down. In addition, we weren't allowed to take pictures of the shoot because Wicen's doesn't allow cameras. Awhile back, some local residents had posed as customers and tried to take pictures which they then used at a town board meeting to try and shut them down.

That's too bad, something like that just gives the activists in the area more "evidence" that a range in a heavily residential area is unsafe.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 23rd, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Is there an issue with the backstop?
    The backstops are huge earthen mounds, but there's a residential area not far beyond that. You'd need to have your muzzle at around 20+ degrees from horizontal to get over them given the distance, but it's possible for that to happen with an inexperienced shooter.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lawrence County)

If the residents are set on shutting the range down is there a chance that the whole incident could have been staged?

(Philadelphia County)

As ChamberdRound said they are mounds of dirt about 30-40 feet high as a backstop. I honestly can't see how my Brother-in-law, even being inexperienced, could have had his rifle at a steep enough angle to clear the backstop. He had his target setup about 30-40 yards down range, and even if he was legally blind there was no chance of him being that far off target. I was watching him through the first 20 rounds and he was shooting high but I helped correct his aim. As far as a staged incident, it's possible but it just too much of a coincidence that the round looked to be a 7.62x54R the same as my Mosin. The thing that kind of bugs me is that the round was fully intact and perfectly straight, I thought after traveling about 3/4 of a mile and going through a roof there would be some sort of mark besides rifling marks.

They should be able to prove if it came from your rifle. There was an incident of a staged stray bullet a few years ago, so pray to God that it is.

If the bullet went through a roof I don't think it bounced off the mound. Those burms are high. If that was a stray bullet that went over the burm, that's real bad and the shooter is responsible.
    Last edited by Jamie Young; February 23rd, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast