Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does the XDm really shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards?

Does the XDm really shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards? In a past magazine article that I ran across it advertised the "Perfect Fighting Pistol". the 16 shot XDM in 40 cal and 19 shot XDM in 9mm along with this capacity increase the article stated that both guns were capable of 1.5" groups at 25 yards.

If so I wonder why the Glock 34 & 35 are still used 8 out of 10 times in competition shooting 2nd only to the 1911 platforms. SA makes a nice pistol but I wonder is that hype or true.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Does the XDm really shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards?

I shoot alot of uspsa matches, and hit a idpa match every once in a while. I shoot at least 3 level II or higher matches a year, VAMD had 350 competitiors this year and area 8 will have just as many if not more.

That being said, glocks and smith's outnumber xd's 15 to 1 and thats being generous. Thats at uspsa matches. If i see a guy shooting a springfield i always take a second look just because they are few and far between and i like checking out different guns. I have herd a rumor i have yet to confirm or deny, that they make there magazines out of a very soft metal and they have real issues with the magazines being dropped on hard surfaces and it ruins the feed lips of there very expensive magazines.

The XD has a much stronger showing at local IDPA matches, simply because guys just show up with whatevers in the safe. Most of them don't have a gun just to shoot competitions with.

I'd say the XD has the same attendance that HK and Sig do at matches.

How the gun actually shoots, i can't help ya on that, never handled one. My glock shoots great, and MP's shoot even better as long as you can get them to light off the primers your using.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Chester County)

There's a big difference between what a gun can do when you're doing a "bullseye slow-breathe-squeeze-wait for the break..." kind of thing and when your doing a USPSA/IDPA "the clock is running" kind of thing.

My wife can do 3 shots in one hole at 15 yards with our XDM 40 when she's not in a hurry. The spongy trigger lends itself to move the gun all over when it's squeezed quickly (like it would be when there's a clock running).

Remember these tests are done off of some type of rest, usually a sandbag under the muzzle and butt that is the right height for the target being shot at. With that said, 1.5" at 25 yds is no where near extreme accuracy. Clamp it in a rest and put a 3X8 on it and it will probably do close to that at 50 yds. That pistol was designed to be accurate.

If you really want an accurate pistol right out of the box that is $1000, or less, look at a Sig P220 (one of the match models). That gun delivers sub 1" groups 20 yds out and gives .45 ACP performance. It's not the fastest pistol round, but it hits hard.
    Last edited by harold63; June 20th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it is common knowledge in the bullseye community that a 2" 50yd handgun is extremely accurate and it is not at all trivial to build/load for that level of accuracy in an autoloader. And this assumes ransom rest testing by gunsmiths that know how to use them. IIRC, David Sams spent a couple of years working on the army marksmanship unit beretta's to meet that design goal.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Remember these tests are done off of some type of rest, usually a sandbag under the muzzle and butt that is the right height for the target being shot at. With that said, 1.5" at 25 yds is no where near extreme accuracy. Clamp it in a rest and put a 3X8 on it and it willprobably do that at 50 yds. That pistol was designed to be accurate.

If you really want an accurate pistol right out of the box that is $1000, or less, look at a Sig P220 (one of the match models). That gun delivers sub 1" groups 20 yds out and gives .45 ACP performance. It's not the fastest pistol round, but it hits hard.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it is common knowledge in the bullseye community that a 2" 50yd handgun is extremely accurate and it is not at all trivial to build/load for that level of accuracy in an autoloader. And this assumes ransom rest testing by gunsmiths that know how to use them. IIRC, David Sams spent a couple of years working on the army marksmanship unit beretta's to meet that design goal.
    Yep...I have a homemade version of it on my PT 92.

1.5" at 25 yds (see my other post) is equivalent to 3" at 50. Add the other factors of an xtra 25 yds and it is probably closer to 4" unless you know what you are doing. I get my info from over 10 years of slowfire work. 2" at 50 yds is great, but still not optimal, rested or unrested.

I use this ammo. It is not an exaggeration: http://store.chencustom.com/9mm_s/94.htm

(Monroe County)

I would think it probably could based on mechanical accuracy.

Now real world, in your hands with a clock running? certainly not in my hands.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Pike County)

We are in agreement, then. Unfortunately, you are disagreeing with yourself ;-> You said an XDm will do 1.5" at 50yds. ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Yep...I have a homemade version of it on my PT 92.

1.5" at 25 yds (see my other post) is equivalent to 3" at 50. Add the other factors of an xtra 25 yds and it is probably closer to 4" unless you know what you are doing. I get my info from over 10 years of slowfire work. 2" at 50 yds is great, but still not optimal, rested or unrested.

I use this ammo. It is not an exaggeration: http://store.chencustom.com/9mm_s/94.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    I would think it probably could based on mechanical accuracy.

Now real world, in your hands with a clock running? certainly not in my hands.
    Nor mine, free hand, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    We are in agreement, then. Unfortunately, you are disagreeing with yourself ;-> You said an XDm will do 1.5" at 50yds. ?!?
    My bad, you are correct. Should say 'close to that', but fully rested with a scope you can see with. A stock gun doing 1.5", or better at 50 is stretching it no matter what the cond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast